“Good country pub with skittles alley”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Bull Inn

The Bull Inn
Ranked #7 of 20 Restaurants in Henfield
Cuisines: Bar, Pizza, British, Pub, Italian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Located just north of Henfield, this traditional style pub welcomes the whole family (including the dog!) and is a must visit for fans of Pizza!This pub is certainly a must visit if you enjoy pizza. With over 20 different varieties of freshly baked gourmet toppings, plus the chance to design your own, all tastes will be well catered for. The portions are also very generous, with the large 12" pizzas being large enough for 2 people, or 1 very hungry person! Pasta, salad, burgers, BBQ wings, ribs & chicken also feature on the menu if pizza doesn't take your fancy, plus the children's menu is also extensive. Don't forget the specials board too!The spacious & beautiful beer garden is an ideal space to dine al fresco during the summer months or just to relax & enjoy a cold pint of beer, glass of wine or soft drink in. There is also a children's play area which the kids can enjoy whilst the parents sit back & rest. In the winter, the log fire helps to keep the insides of the pub cosy.There is also a skittle alley & function room available for adult and children’s parties, gatherings for family and friends, club and business meetings, christenings, weddings and wakes. Mother and toddler groups can also be accommodated during lunchtimes. Complete with its own music system, private garden and patio area and can be hired as room only, or with the skittle alley and buffet menu.
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Good country pub with skittles alley”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We went here as a group from work for an evening of skittles and pizza in the reservable function room at £11.95 per person. We were served various nibbles (olives, crisps and peanuts) followed by loads of garlic bread and bread with dips then a wide selection of pizzas - mostly delicious (but we weren't sure about the one entitled 'Quackers' - duck with hoisin sauce). We had several games of skittles on the alley which is fairly worn (especially the skittles), but nothing to stop the fun. The function room has a long table where the food is laid out and other tables for sitting at - a bit canteen like, but we were mainly stood up as there for the skittles. There seemed to be a dartboard in the room, that night inaccessible due to the food table, and a bar billiards table was also spied.
If anyone is interested in Real Ale, I saw Harvey's available along with Sharp's Doom Bar - delicious!

All in all a great night out.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Mouxsie
Brian S S, Owner at The Bull Inn, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your feed back. We are glad that you had a good night out and a fun time playing skittles along with plenty of food. I'm sorry to hear you were not keen on the Quackers, it is our most popular and best selling pizza.The skittles and alley are in use seven days a week and this would explain the worn look, although we do replace parts as and when necessary. We look forward to seeing you and your colleagues again at some time in the future.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We went here for Mother's Day 2013 and came away very disappointed!
I had a bacon and cheeseburger with fries. The chips where oven ready and mostly undercooked or raw. Don't think I have ever been to a pub/restaurant that has served oven chips #lazy!! The bacon in the burger was burnt and hard (clearly re-heated). The burger did taste like the type you would buy from a supermarket and not what you would expect from a restaurant!
Another person in our group had the roast which again was bland and over cooked. Both these meals were returned and not paid for.
The starters and pizza which were ordered were of a good standard as were the drinks.
Customer service was ok but the landord didn't make any effort and hid behind the bar letting his staff and manager deal with it, not how I would of dealt with it,if it was my business!!!

1 Thank Bowman700
Brian S S, Owner at The Bull Inn, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I apologise for Mothers day not being the special occasion that you expected during your visit to the Bull Inn. That some of your meals were not up to standard was entirely our fault and we make no excuses. The problems that arose because of a very busy day have been looked into and rectified for the future.
I would though, like to comment on a few points that you make. We have been serving oven fries for the past couple of years and do so because we think they are a healthier option. I agree with you that some of them were under cooked. Our bacon is freshly cooked to order, but unfortunately, in your case was definitely over cooked. I can assure you our burgers are not from a supermarket and are locally sourced. As for the roast, I'm afraid I must disagree with you. The beef was tender, the vegetables fresh, the roast potatoes crispy and the gravy tasty. As you were not satisfied with your food, we were happy to deduct both meals from your bill. I believe you were offered replacement meals but declined.
As for the landlord (myself) hiding behind the bar, at that point in time there was a full restaurant, a full bar and a very busy kitchen, all of which had to be overseen. My duty manager and your waitress I believe dealt with your complaint professionally and courteously and I saw no reason to intervene. If you were still unhappy with the situation, I would have been pleased to have been of further assistance to you.
Once again, I would like to apologise for your Mothers day meal not being the enjoyable experience it should have been and do hope we see you again at some time in the future.
Steyning, United Kingdom
“Quantity over quality”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

What a disappointing meal. Yes - it was Mother's day but totally unacceptable. For a start, very cold to sit in - maybe heating not working. Starters fine but - roast completely tasteless, burgers tasted like frozen, chips half raw or burnt. Ok - Pizza good but not everyone wants to eat a pizza. They did take the price off two meals but the occasion has been spoilt. We have enjoyed eating here before but my advice is don't bother!!

• Visited March 2013
Brian S S, Owner at The Bull Inn, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I believe this review is from the same party as above so please refer to above response.

I am sorry that you felt cold at the Bull Inn. This was one of the coldest days of the year, with a bitter north easterly wind blowing. With the heating on full blast and two log fires alight we did our best to maintain a temperature around 21°.
West Sussex
“Birthday celebration”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

We met up for a family birthday lunch as a party of 9 ranging in age from teens to late 80s. I had not eaten at the Bull before and had not made any prior enquiries so it was all new and, I am pleased to say, all good. The service was helpful and friendly in a restaurant which left you in no doubt that this was a "proper" country pub rather than some plastic facsimile. The place was nice and clean and the food well-prepared and served with a sensible gap between courses rather than clearing a plate and replacing it immediately or leaving the diner sitting there for ages waiting. Basically a very tasty meal served in pleasant, relaxed surroundings. Will be happy to eat there again.

• Visited January 2013
Worthing, United Kingdom
“65th Birthday Bash”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I booked the pub's function room and Skittles Lane for my dad's 65th. Has to be said it was one of the most fun evenings we have had for a while. The staff where all friendly and helpful and the Pizza's came out when we wanted. My Dad's partner like it so much she is actually planning to go back a few more times, and she wouldn't even eat pizza before.

• Visited October 2012