“Trip down memory lane”

Epping Ongar Railway
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Epping Ongar Railway is a volunteer run heritage railway which operates steam and diesel hauled trains through 5.5 miles of picturesque rolling countryside and through Epping Forest, along the former London Underground Central Line. We run a variety of special events through the year, including Peppa Pig, 1940's, Halloween Ghost Trains, Santa and Mince Pie Specials. Please check our website for opening times and fares information. over 6 miles of the former London Underground Central Line.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

A wonderful day, ok the weather was perfect, but so nice to see such enthusiasm by the volunteers who maintain this section of railway. Staff look great in their co-ordinated uniforms and are very pleasant to talk to and very knowledgeable. Use to use this part of line on show days when the airfield had their annual air shows and would travel up from Theydon Bois to North Weald. Lots to see and do and the buses and trains all run to time and connect very well with each other. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Russell k
There are newer reviews for Epping Ongar Railway

Reviewed October 2, 2013

As a transport enthusiast, I was looking for a day out with my 10 year old Son, what was ideal, was that I could access the Railway via the Underground (Central Line) to Epping, and then
on one of their beautifully preserved London Buses. There is so much to do, two seperate
train rides, one diesel one steam, plus a number of bus rides, all included in the cost, but
what made the day, was a lovely team of staff, so helful so informative, they allowed my Son
to go on the footplate of the Steam Loco which was the highpoint of his day, it was like, having
a 'Day Out with Friends', I have to admit that normaly I do not 'cope with Volunteers' very well,
but every staff member I encountered, was a great credit to the Railway, prices were good value £13 for a Rover ticket for me and £7 for my son, catering was reasonable, and you could
even get a couple of slices of toast. The rolling stock was clean and comfortable, and nice
big windows for childreen to look out of on the journey, and the train staff pointing out the things of interest. and there was this one guy who was the Conductor, on our bus back from North Weald Station, to the Underground at Epping, at so many attractions, everything that the staff say has been sanatised and checked, but he was giving a very interesting commentry in his own style, two of the comments I remember, "we are now passing through part of Epping Forest, this is where Dick Turpin, the famous Highwayman, used to operate, he would rape and pillage all the Women, rob and steal absolutely everything from absolutely everyone, including the poor and the infirm, this was in Richards early career, before he moved to Eastern Electricity" and just as we arrived at Epping he "thanked everyone for visiting, and said to make sure they checked, that they had everything with them when they got off the bus, as any children left behind, would be sold to the Circus" on the way back home on the Tube I kept smileing, my Son asked me what I was smileing at, and I thought, I dont even know if he would like the Circus? A great end to a Great Day. Thank you E+O

1  Thank bigglesEssexUK
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We visited the diesel gala day that was enjoyable on the whole but encountered huge problems whilst enquiring about concession fares over the telephone. We gave up in the end but upon boarding the heritage bus at Epping Underground Station, we had to pay seventeen pounds each. A bit steep considering your 2013 leaflet quotes thirteen pounds per person. The fact it was the diesel gala day was a poor excuse given by the bus conductor. My partner is disabled and question that is it the policy of the Epping Ongar Railway to price out those who are on benefits?

Epping-Ongar-Railway, General Manager at Epping Ongar Railway, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we are naturally disappointed that you didn’t contact the railway directly regarding the items you raise prior to leaving a review.

We work to ensure that our fares policy is easy to understand. Our standard £13 fare for adults (£11 Concessions and £7 Children) offers all day travel, great value for money and is available on all standard dates the railway is operational excluding special events (such as our popular Santa Specials, Halloween and Galas). As shown in our timetable leaflet, marketing and website, the date of your visit was a Diesel Gala and so subject to special fares as we had several visiting locomotives and additional trains running.

We outline on our website (under Visit Us and Visiting Information) and brief all our volunteer staff that disabled visitors are charged the normal fares, with a discounted fare available to carers. We work to keep our fares as low as possible for all our visitors, the restoration and operation of a heritage railway represents a significant cost. Our fares are charged equally and there is no discrimination based on anyone’s background, rest assured that all the monies going towards the ongoing upkeep and restoration of Essex’s longest heritage railway.
Simon, EOR GM

Reviewed August 27, 2013

A group of friends off all different ages with an interest in vintage transport decided to visit EOR.
What a great day out easy to get to at the end of the Central Line where you are meet with a vintage bus followed by a great ride to North Weald where you can enjoy steam and diesel trains.
The Stations are restored to an excellent standard. We bought a ticket so we could travel on any train we wished steam or diesel all day.
At Ongar went into the village for a pint before returning back to the station. The staff were excellent and very helpful throughout the day.
Would recommend the day out and it is good to support heritage lines and transport.

1  Thank Ianlondon49
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I've been wanting to visit this line for a long time and finally managed to plan a visit. I found the station at Ongar quite easily although parking was a challenge as there are limited spaces in the area.
Tickets were reasonably priced and once purchased means you can travel on any train or bus in that they run.
It's a pleasant journey from Ongar to North Weald and then onto Coopersale which is the current end of the line. The scenery was lovely and the trains go slow enough that you get a good view out the window.
Everyone I dealt with was very friendly and helpful and would recommend a visit to anyone who wants a laid back day.

2  Thank therichastill