“Lovely Pub Grub”
Review of The Woodman

The Woodman
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Lovely Pub Grub”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Woodman is a regular stop off for a pub lunch we can trust to be worth it. Good selection of Ales and a full menu of traditional food, great for ladies who lunch and the retired, as it is situated in the mid-essex countryside with views over the adjacent cornfields. Family friendly with a small playground and outside seating if required. It gets busy when the weather is fine.

Visited December 2012

Southampton UK
“Awful food”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had a meal at the Woodman last month and it was dreadful. I had roast beef - the meat was like leather and the vegetables were hard, undercooked and uneatable. The music was blaring so loudly that you couldn't hear yourself speak even though the place was full and didn't need the extra noise! On the plus side the staff were pleasant and the service was quick.

• Visited October 2012
Chipping Ongar, United Kingdom
“fredlarge21”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Have found a jewel in the crown in The Woodman. Have celebrated a birthday and family reunions our every visit is a total pleasure. The staff are very pleasant and courteous and attentive to our needs. The Woodman is exactly what a first class pub and restaraunt should be.

• Visited October 2012
Brentwood, United Kingdom
“Fireworks”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Recently visited the woodman for their fireworks display which was absolutely spectacular and the display lasted much longer than others. The restaurant was fully booked but the outside BBQ was open and the food (burgers and hotdogs) were delicious. Had a really good night with friends and would definately recommend this country pub. The staff were also very friendly and pleasant also!!!

• Visited September 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Levy's review”
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

What a disapointment!! After reading the reviews on trip advisor I selected this restaurant for a special night out.
On arriving the restaurant looked lovely there were only 3 tables taken the rest were vacant. We were shown to a tiny table in the corner right next to another table which had a couple with a noisy little child right up close to it. I asked for another table immediately and asked if all the other tables were reserved, the girl said that only one was reserved and we were then shown to another table in a side annex of the restaurant which was cold and unwelcoming. I still can't understand as the rest of the place was empty.
I ordered a steak to be told there wasn't any steaks left. WHAT? I then said that I will have the surf and turf thinking that I would eat the steak and leave the scampi. Sorry no surf and turf, what's going on here? I was directed to the mixed grill which did have steak so I agree to that. It was average at best and I left half of it. My date had sea bass which arrived skin side up...... How unappetising, never seen that before.
We had starters but no dessert , bottle of wine and coffee. The bill was in excess of £70 which I thought was a lot considering we were in a pub.
When I phoned to make the reservation the lady told me that as it's a Saturday the restaurant would be very crowded and busy. Yeah right!!
I forecast that this business will be going under very soon. It's not surprising it was empty on a Saturday night