“The BEST Dive operation on Grand Cayman”

Indepth Watersports
Ranked #2 of 24 Tours in West Bay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Indepth Watersports is based on Grand Cayman and specializing in providing a first class, valet SCUBA diving service, including snacks and fruit on boat trips and small groups. Our motto is to make sure that: "All guests leave their scuba diving vacation with a smile that will become infectious!" Based in the Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman we offer some of the top dive sites in the world. We offer PADI, SSI, SDI/TDI and IANTD courses, daily boat trips, custom charters and overnight trips diving all three islands, Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman. Come and dive with us soon :-)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I've been diving now since 2000, most of the time in Grand Cayman. For the first 8 or 9 years, I intentionally went out with a number of dive operations, to meet new people and have different dive adventures. However, since Nat Robb left a large operation a few years ago to strike out for himself, I have found my diving home on Grand Cayman.

I have been diving exclusively with Nat and his partner in crime, Art Hintze, since, I guess, 2010, and have never had a bad experience with them. When I want to shore dive in the afternoons and my dive buddy would rather take a nap, Art is kind enough to go out with me. I do have to pay her, but the company is great, and she takes me to neat and overlooked shore dive sites. The price I pay for those "guided shore dives" is more than worth it.

On the two occasions when I have visited GC for the day off a cruise ship, Nat and Art have adjusted their schedules to accommodate me. Just a few weeks ago, I dove with them at Black Forest and the top of Lemon Reef [north side], and had just a great time.

Nat has his own cool boat, the Peaceful Warrior, which in another lifetime was a Navy Seal craft. It can go, uh, real fast. It's comfortable and intimate, at the same time.

Nat and Art cater to the dive experience of their guests, which means that for the more experienced divers, they give them plenty of freedom; for the more novice divers, they keep a weather eye on them to ensure safety and a good experience. Many dive operators are perfectly fine, but they cater more to the lowest common denominator of diver, meaning that the more experienced divers are limited in their dive experiences.

Nat is a highly qualified CCR/rebreather diver. In fact, Nat back in 2005 took my dive buddy and me out on a "Discover Rebreather" dive. If you are a tech diver or want to get into tech diving, Nat's your man, and InDepth's your operation.

Because the boat is fast, they can dive on the west side OR the north side, depending on weather and chop conditions. Many dive operators kind of pick one side or the other, because it costs too much in fuel and time spent to drive their boats from one side to the other.

Some diver operations run cattle boats with up to 20 or more divers in the water. They make money, but it's a sucky dive expereicne to always be running into other divers in the water. Nat's boat is small, and he caters to the small group. I think the most crowded I've ever seen his boat is maybe 8 divers.

Some dive operators, because they are more interested in saving fuel and getting back to shore quickly, will often pick a less fun or even inappropriate second/shallow dive. For example, one operator I was with a few years ago took us to Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto for a second boat dive, despite the fact that ER/DG is most assuredly a shore dive. Clearly, they went there because it was convenient and not out of their way. It was a nice dive and all, but I was not happy about that, because I could dive that site without having to pay for the boat dive. Face it, we want a boat dive from a boat, not a shore dive.

Nat and InDepth, on the other hand, give you bang for your buck, so to speak. Not only are Nat and Art firendly and personable, they are highly -- highly -- expereinced and qualified. They take you to interesting dive sites. They take into account where YOU, the diver, want to go, if you have preferences. The best part is they have plenty of Fritos and other chips for the dive interval!

I have become friends with both Nat and Art through InDepth. I was acquainted with them before, but never socially friendly. We have become friends because I have a great time every time I go out with them. Believe me, if I had reservations about InDepth, I simply would not have written this review.

InDepth justifiably is becoming the first call diver operation for the discerning diver who wants a first rate and personal experience, without exception. Give 'em a call; you will thank yourself later!

1  Thank Doug_Weinstein
in 28 reviews
in 13 reviews
in 13 reviews

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Nick and Nat where great. Our family of six dove with them last week and really enjoyed their company and the great dive boat. Unfortunately Nick is leaving the island in a couple of months but I'm sure Nat will find a good replacement. The boat is fast and comfortable and they really seem to know the reefs.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My two sons and I dove with Art and found her to be highly professional and safety oriented. Her partner, Nat, served as the captain of what can only be described as a very cool boat! We quickly were at the dive site allowing us more time to enjoy the beauty of the Cayman Islands. I would highly recommend both of them!

Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We have dove with Nat and Art over 10 trips to Cayman in the last 3 years. We wouldn't even consider another operator. Every family member has always had level specific instruction from rebreather to under 8 SASY from Nat and Art who are super knowledgeable and always add a fun element to everything. The valet service is awesome, as is the variety of dive locations. The boat gets us to the dive site site and you have as much excitement above water as under the sea. While having fun, safety is of their utmost concern, and their rental equipment is well maintained. Everyone young and old, beginner to expert always raves about the best scuba fun in Cayman. No one better than them to meet all diving needs!