“Cobalt Coast Divers fail”
Review of Divetech

Divetech
Ranked #1 of 22 Tours in West Bay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Divetech at Lighthouse Point Dive Resort offers dive packages for beginners to advanced divers. Daily boat trips which include "free" shore diving from our full service dive shop. Divetech's 18 instructors offer "try diving", resort course, Learn to Dive, referral dives, open water certifications, kids (8 & up) diving programs, underwater scooters, Rebreather support and training year round. Lighthouse Point Dive Resort, Cayman's newest green solar/wind powered hotel, you'll meet the owner-operators at your home away from home. Luxury oceanfront accommodations, sea pool, boat dock, shore diving with Divetech and a health food restaurant called "Vivo".
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Kemah, Texas, United States
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Cobalt Coast Divers fail”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I did not stay at the resort, but used the Divetech shop for a day of boat diving. Cost was 120.00 pp for a two tank trip which is on the high end for Cayman. Dive staff was rather surly to say the least. I was expecting some good North Wall diving but was disappointed by the close proximity to the resort that BOTH of our dives took place. We were told upon departing the dock we would ride for 20-25 minutes. Less than five minutes later we stopped at the first mooring we came to for our first dive. It was a site I could and would easily have done from shore.
Our second dive was to be Hepps Pipeline and this was a dive I have done from shore MANY times. I informed one of the guides of this fact and then watched the lead divemaster throw down the boat hook in disgust. Really? We proceeded to dive a site that was even closer to the resort and again a dive that was really a shore dive.
Cobalt Coast would be a good location for those who are into shore diving, but those who expect high quality boat diving can do much better elsewhere.
Not worth the 120.00 per diver to be sure. Dive staff has gone down hill greatly and this will be my last trip to Cayman for sure.

1 Thank BuckBeasley
JayDive, Owner at Divetech, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We are so sorry that you did not enjoy 3 Towers on the North wall, that is one of Grand Cayman's brand new dive sites in the Dive 365 initiative. It is a very requested dive by guests as it's so pristine and huge vertical towers to descend down and spiral up around. With our docks being on the North wall already, we can make short boat rides to many of the great North wall sites as we don't have to drive around. Hepps is also very popular but per your request, we moved to Sand Hole Road. Just to note, we have many discounts for multiple diving days including free shore diving with boat package, and hope that you might not give up on Cayman, as it's hard to experience all that we have to offer in 1 trip. Thank you so much for your comments, they are always welcomed.

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great shore dives”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Divetech resort locations have great shore dives, the staff was very helpful with providing us a dive plan and setting us up with rental gear. The shore dives were a great inexpensive option and were very navigable for us (novice divers).

1 Thank Heather T
Ann Arbor, Michigan
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Fantastic - we regularly drive an hour one way to dive with these guys!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I have been diving with DiveTech since their days at the location near the old Turtle Farm and we have never been disappointed. We own a timeshare on the completely opposite end of the island but regularly make the drive to West Bay to take advantage of the amazing shore diving and the knowledgeable staff. Thank you especially to Jeni, Emma, Steve, Anton, Carl, Cathy - these are the people we've had the most contact with this year, but the entire staff has always been friendly, polite, and helpful. They are more than willing to answer questions or give advice. This year I had a long conversation with Jeni and Anton about migraines after diving, and received an incredible amount of good advice.

We really appreciate that Divetech's divemasters are what we would consider true dive professionals - we see the same faces for years, unlike at most dive operations where it seems the DMs change on a yearly basis (nothing wrong with that, but the consistency here is really nice). And they are beyond well-qualified. The fact that as recreational divers we get the expertise of top-notch technical divers like Anton, Steve, and the rest is kind of amazing. We often run into one of the owners, Jay, at the Lighthouse location and he always greets us with a smile or stops to chat.

This year our 10 year old son did his Jr Open Water certification, and there was no question in our minds that it would be with DiveTech. He has previously done SASY and PADI Seal Team through them, always with friendly and professional instructors such as Jeni. His Jr. Open Water instructor, Cathy, was amazing! I would recommend any of them for training children (and adults).

I was quite surprised to read some of the negative reviews that have been posted, as we've always found their shops and boats to be in great condition. I did notice that a couple of reviewers complained about having to set up their own gear, pay for flooded regulators, and rinse rental gear. I'd like to maybe provide a different perspective on each of these concerns:

Setting up your own gear - A lot of dive operations are setting up gear for people these days, and frankly I hate that trend. Being familiar with one's equipment and able to handle it on one's own seems paramount to safety and good diving practices - especially for divers who do only a relatively small number of dives each year. If I see someone who isn't setting up their own gear my reaction is to stay far away from them, and I certainly wouldn't want to be paired up with them as a buddy. Yes, of course they could be better divers than I am, but it's just a warning sign for me. I understand the convenience of having someone else do the set up for you, but come on! Are you also going to expect your DM to keep track of your air consumption and depth for you? Are you also going to expect them to fix everything for you in case of an emergency? I have a lot of respect for a dive staff that expects their guests to show the minimum proficiency of being able to set up their own equipment. I'm also quite sure that the Divetech staff would do it for you if you asked - though hopefully only after seeing you do it on your own at least once. I don't want this to sound like Divetech caters only to advanced divers - they are fantastic with new divers as well. But I do think that there should be a minimum level of personal responsibility in this sport, and this trend towards total "concierge" diving is taking away from that.

Having to pay $50 for a flooded reg - Why would you ever assume you wouldn't have to compensate a dive shop for ruining a piece of their gear, regardless of how much money you had spent with them for your dives? Putting a dust cap on a regulator before rinsing it isn't rocket science. I'm guessing that divers who regularly set up their own gear might be more familiar with the standard practices for taking care of it.

Rinsing rental gear - my assumption is that if I rent something, I should return it in the condition I received it. You have to fill up a car before returning it, no? So it wouldn't occur to me to complain about rinsing rental gear.

In any case, I think Divetech's many positives stand on their own. We love shore diving for the flexibility it affords, and at either of the DiveTech locations you can do either a shallow dive or a true wall dive with just a short swim. Plus, their "Dive and Lunch" deal can't be beat. And if you have children, look into the Kids Sea Camp that they run every year.

Over the years we've tried out a number of dive operations on Cayman, including the one at our own timeshare on the East End, and none come close to Divetech in terms of staff expertise and personality. The only change they should consider making is to open up "Divetech East End" so we could cut down on our driving time! :-)

Georgia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Another great trip”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Third time we have been with Divetech. Great group of dive masters. Organized and on time, good dive brief. You can't go wrong diving with them!

1 Thank advisegirl
Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Day”
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Dive site for the books.
Everything here was just what we where looking for in a dive off the dock. A must Dive in GC