Review Highlights

Great diving

Reviewed April 17, 2016
Steve S
Little Rock, Arkansas

All reviews stingray city boat stingrays snorkel pictures
Reviewed February 15, 2018 via mobile

We took this tour independent of the cruise ship. That's not the problem. They were waiting at the dock to sell tours of stingray city. $45 each person. They showed us pictures of the boats and told us they were getting ready to leave and would be taking 3 boats. While the trip itself was ok, we did see stingrays and were able to snorkle.
1. They were not ready to leave... We waited another hour just standing around while they tried to get more people to go.
2. They did not take 3 boats. They only took 2 and we were smashed together on the 2.. about 40 people on each boat.
3. They took pictures of us individually with the stingrays.. the pictures were great.. They were charging $40 for the pictures.. cash of course, and said they would be emailing the pictures to us in an hour or so after we got back to port. Of course you can't check your email right then.. or for several days. Well. WE NEVER GOT OUT PICTURES. WE SENT MULTIPLE MESSAGES AND NEVER GOT A REPLY. They not only took our money.. They took our memories. This was really bad. There are other companies just outside the gaits.. pick one if them.. don't help these people stay in business. The people outside the gait were also cheaper..$40 each. I am reporting them to local authorities but im sure it will be useless.

Reviewed February 7, 2017

We were in Grand Cayman as part of a cruise. I was hosting a large group of over 100 people. I set up a Stingray City tour with Duncan for 75 of our people.
They met us at the dock, with a sign that led our people to the rally point as we got off the tender boats from our ship.
We were introduced to the crew, taken to some nice buses, and away we went.
We arrived at the boats, which were equipped with safety equipment, snorkel gear, and refreshments. The ride out to Stingray City was a beautiful 15 minute trip.
Once we got anchored, we were treated to an amazing spectacle of stingrays of all sizes. They were everywhere!! The boat crew was very professional and helpful, and assisted us in handling a couple of the stingrays and getting photos. The whole experience was incredible!
The crew took some wonderful photos, that were made available to us at fair prices for a package....but there was no pressure at all to buy anything. The photos sold themselves.
We will definitely be going out again with Duncan, and recommending them to all our guests (we are travel agents) that find themselves in Grand Cayman!!

1  Thank David G
Reviewed April 17, 2016

Customer service was great. Shaggy was Dive Master and took us to great sites absd did a good job exploring the site and maximizing bottom time and experience. Convenience was great - individualized service. meet the boat at the dock and the equipment is already on the boat and ready to go. Will definitely use their servics on next trip. Best dive operator that I have ever used in Cayman.

Reviewed March 30, 2016

We visited in July for 2 weeks and dove with Shaggy and Pier the whole time. They spoiled us for sure. Amazing diving and service. I loved how they took great care of our family and made sure we always saw the best the island had to offer. Set the bar high so it's hard when we travel to other places to dive we always come back to how wonderful they were. Great memories for sure!

Reviewed August 30, 2015

Decided to skip the cattle-call boats and the less-than-maintained cheaper charter services and chartered a 36 foot Luhrs sport fisher boat for the four of us (two adults & two teens) to see Stingray City and some snorkeling. The crew, 'Shaggy' & Pierre, couldn't be more accommodating and professional and made this the most memorable day on our entire cruise. The boat was immaculate and the crew went out of their way to show us a great time. This crew worked great together and it was really apparent that they love what they do. We saw first hand what penny pinching will get you. If you step up and spend a little more money on your choice if pondering a private charter, you won't be sorry. We highly (!) recommend this company and would repeat the day over and over if we could.

Reviewed July 4, 2015

Had a great time! First-mate and Captain were great with stingray, they made sure everyone had an interaction with the stingray ( even our reluctant 12yr old) Waters were choppy for snorkeling but crew was very helpful. Timing was perfect for shopping after in port and return to ship. Less expensive than others, got more than our moneys worth. Booking ahead of time is recommended.

Reviewed April 5, 2015

If we have another chance to visit Grand Cayman we will definitely use Stingray Adventures again for any scuba diving we might want to do .Because my daughter has a physical disability and we had not been diving for about 4 years I had some concerns and some specific requests for accommodations during our dives. I had many conversations online with Duncan in advance of our visit. My daughter and I dove five days in a row and were accompanied by Shaggy, Jason and Pierre almost every day. It was a great experience! We met each day at Morgan's Harbor, dove different sites each time, were given a summary of what we might see at each site before going in, reviewed safety concerns and then saw amazing things. Our experience could not have been better. Thanks!

Reviewed March 28, 2015

Open Letter to the Owner's of Duncan's Stingray City Adventures

My family and I arrived in Cayman Island March 11, 2015. We did not intend to take a stingray excursion as my daughter was frightened of the whole “Crocodile” thing. I stopped in the Visitor's Center and asked about some snorkeling. At that time my daughter decided she did want to try a stingray swim. We asked the Visitor's Center to recommend a company and they pointed to the large kiosk in the center of the Port and said that the company in the yellow shirts was a good one. I am forwarding this letter to the tourism office as well because I am unsure if we were “pawned” off to your company when another boat filled up. We were in line with a lot of Spring Break kids and they filled up a bus and we did not go on same boat with them even though we all signed up together. We were directed to another bus to ultimately go on your adventure. To call it a disaster would be putting it mildly.

I grew up around boats. I sailed competitively. I have my boater's safety certificate from my state and I regularly fish offshore. My first concern was when our “Captain” attempted to anchor at Stingray City. 4 attempts and he finally got the anchor to hold. Unfortunately, we were in water about 5 foot deep and quite far from the other boats anchored in the “City.” They enjoyed shallow water while we battled the swells. Our guide (captain) only grabbed one stingray for a group of over 25 people. Your “cruise director” Sonja did not have enough squid for everyone to feed the rays. While there I did spy the boat with the kids from Spring Break. They were on a boat with a flying bridge which was much more modern than our center console. Their boat was anchored directly in the shallow water as well. It was almost as if we did not have permission to anchor in the most active area of the Stingray City. Pictures were taken by Sonja which of course she sold for astronomical prices later on. The first mate never left the boat. Mind you we were in choppy deep water in open sea with many young children – yet no one told these kids to put on life jackets. Unconscionable.

After returning to the boat we went off to the Coral Gardens. Again, 4 or 5 attempts at anchoring and we were finally set. We again anchored quite far from other boats and over dead coral. That said, what was most disconcerting was there was absolutely no explanation from the crew about snorkeling, they let multiple people off the boat with no life jackets including young children, and not one member of the crew got into the water in case there was an emergency. I am a strong swimmer but the chop was pretty intense and I knew enough to make my family wear life jackets. But it was a bad situation. I actually had to help a woman to the life ring floating behind the boat. Lousy snorkeling equipment, unsafe conditions and a crew that couldn't be bothered to even count how many people were in the water. Thank God a young family had the sense to stay in the boat. Finally time was up and we headed back in. I looked forward to land because this excursion pretty much sucked and we were on time to be back to the dock and back to the cruise ship by the promised time of 1:15 pm. Alas, that was not to be.

On the way in about 100 yards offshore we came across another excursion boat anchored with a disabled engine. This is where things really went south. Our “captain” who had shown no seamanship skill up to that time decided to tow the disabled boat in. Certainly anyone would not leave a disabled boat but they were in no immediate danger and the high seas and the relative size of our boat to the disabled boat made towing a bad idea. Not 20 yards behind us was a catamaran with considerably stronger engines and size that easily could have safely towed the boat in. They were more than willing as they actually followed us in for awhile before they sped away. Our “captain” rigged up a tow line strapped across the stern with a looped line thrown out to the disabled boat. No instructions to the passengers such as “you might want to move up to the bow because if this old and frayed rope snaps its going to take out your shoulder.” You know, a nice heads up would have been nice. Nothing. I told one woman to move. I have the video of the jury rigged lines if anyone wants to see it. Anyway, our engine struggled but we finally get into the small protected inlet and head to the dock. Unfortunately, our “captain” has no freaking idea what he is doing. He comes alongside a dock and the disabled boats Captain jumps off and waits for the first mate of our boat to untie the tow line and throw it to him so he can pull his boat and passengers into the slip. Oops. The tow line knot is impossible to untie and no one has a knife to cut it. So we keep on going as the other Captain screams at us and jumps on another boat to try and retrieve his. This is when it got really dangerous. Our captain had NO IDEA how to maneuver his vessel while towing another boat. He ran the disabled boat up against a rock berm that bordered a golf course. At this point people from the other boat actually jumped on to the rocks to get off the boat! They were so frightened they saw their chance and jumped!. Next thing you know they are getting yelled at by golf course rangers because they are in the middle of the fairway! Finally another boat comes out with the captain of the disabled boat. He is screaming at our “captain” and even our first mate is screaming at him asking him what the heck he was doing. We cut the tow line and the disabled boat easily docks and her passengers get off to waiting buses and are whisked back to the Port. We struggle to dock, almost run into another rock berm and finally dock. Then guess what? Since we were late coming in because we towed in the other boat we have NO BUSES! Our crew melts into the woodwork and stays on the boat while 25 people are screaming how are we going to get back to Port?? It is now 2:50 and the last tender leaves at 3:15. Kudos to the man from Kelly's Excursions because he tried to call buses to come get us even though we were not his group. My daughter was hysterical at this point. People were offering an ice cream truck hundreds of dollars to take them to the Port. Finally, a rickety public bus comes and completely overloads passengers and takes us to the Port. At that point I was most worried because I felt the bus was dangerously overcrowded and my family and I were in the very back. Imagine having your poor 12 year old daughter asking over and over “are we going to make it? Is this dangerous?” It was horrible.

As stated in the beginning I am going to post this on TripAdvisor, forward to the Tourism Bureau as well as our cruise line. Our journey was unsafe from the beginning even before the ill advised attempt to tow in the boat. You put my family along with many others in danger. Shame on you.

12  Thank H T
Reviewed February 11, 2015 via mobile

The most pleasant memories during my cruise! It's cheaper than the same on the ship. Our guides were very inspired and nice! Thanks a lot!

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Duncan, his son and nephew were super. Picked us up at condo, drove us to boat. They got in the water with all 16 of us. Ages 8-65. They were patient, knowledgeable,friendly, fun. They also took us to two snorkel stops after the sting ray visit. The best value on the island. 35$ per person and it was just our family on the boat. A must see and do if you visit the island.

3  Thank Cabuff918