“Great Wreck Dive”

and up
Grand Cayman Kittiwake and Reef Sail
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in West Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: The ex-USS Kittiwake is an Ex-US Navy Submarine Rescue Vessel. She was sunk on January 5th, 2011 in Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands to create an artificial reef and shipwreck attraction for scuba divers and snorkelers to visit and enjoy.The attraction is operated by the Cayman Islands Tourism Association. Please use a licensed operator and all visitors are required to pay a user fee.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Dove this wreck with the guidance of Divetech. Completely penetrable, great dive, even for beginners. Don't miss this dive!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We dived Kittiwake with Blue Water divers and had a wonderful dive. I would say you should be an experienced diver if you want to go inside, because some doorways are tight, and I got caught in one. My husband unhooked me, so all was well. Its in wonderful shape, but being retired Navy we were both intrigued and creeped out, as being in a sunken ship is not exactly where you want to be when you're on duty! We had a blast though and there lots of cool photo opps. Definitely a great dive!

Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was a cool afternoon dive, as we drove over from the East End. This was slightly un-nerving for me, as I wasn't fully prepared, but quickly got past it. This huge ship was intentionally sunk as a dive site/reef, and has been prepared for divers with lots of openings. This is a penetration dive, going fully inside the vessel, and moving from level to level. There were lots of openings to the outside, with easy access and light. We had new divers in our group who did just fine.

1  Thank groberts5500
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Best wreck dive..Ocean Frontiers were our divemasters..they took us on the most intricate wreck dive ever. We visited the entire ship, inside and out. Did not see much of the reef however.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have been diving for some time and have dove wrecks in North Carolina and Florida. The accessibility of the Kittiwake wreck and the ease of diving of this wreck will make it one of my all time favorites. Plus at 60', a lot shallower than many other wrecks, makes this a must do. With any luck, I will be able to do it again soon!