Ways to Experience Kittiwake Shipwreck & Artificial Reef
from $70.00
More Info
from $399.00
More Info
All reviews great wreck sunken ship wreck dives nice dive deep blue divers red sail ambassador divers dream divers marine life swim throughs grouper shallow dive grand cayman parrot fish shallow water dive guide dive shop
Selected filters
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Whether snorkeling or diving this wreck is for everyone. Visibility is so good that as a snorkeler you see quite a bit of the wreck without going deep. Since the wreck sits in less than 70 feet of water it's easy to get to everything from tip to tail. When diving, the operation you pick determines how "in"volved you can get. Our operators gave us a wonderful tour, and since the ship is opened up the light from above allows visibility deep with in the wreck. Passing the between the propeller and the rudder is fun, ascending up a ladder without putting a foot on a step is entertaining, but entering the wreck and viewing all it has to offer is priceless. We even sat in the decompression chamber. You'll probably only have air for about an hour, so if you want to spend more time, going back another day is recommended. Awesome attraction!!!!

Date of experience: June 2013
1  Thank RicknMarnie
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This was one of my dives on my recent trip. The shipwreck was put there for scuba tourists. It was a pretty amazing dive. I'm not sure of all the places that you can go through the shipwreck, I was working on my certification, I'm sure I probably could of accessed other areas if I was experienced. We went through a small room that had an air bubble from when the ship was dropped. That was pretty cool, although you don't want to actually breathe in the air because it's old and probably rusty. We went through the eating area, played with the ship wheel, and went through a bathroom area. The bathroom was pretty cool, you can still look in some of the mirrors and see what you look like scuba diving. That was giggle worthy. Overall, it was a great dive. And I would do it again.

Date of experience: June 2013
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is for everyone, is huge and friendly wreck.
Good for pictures becuase is max depth 70 ft., and they made it for divers.

We loce the school of fish and the barracudas.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

What I liked about visiting the Kittiwake that as a snorkeler, I could have a close encounter with a wreck. The after section mast of the ship is in 12 feet of water and when I visited, there were about 14 tarpon schooling in that area. Also, the pilothouse is in 20 feet of water so you can get down there and see a few things that typically you don't see as a snorkeler. The only down side of this, and I went on a dive boat, is that it's a popular attraction and it can get crowded quickly with lots of folks enjoying the wreck.

1  Thank snowbliss1
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Ryan and Dani were our guides. It was a short walk from the cruise ship tender to the boat we would take the tour on. Ryan filled us in on all the info about the ship and snorkeling advice we needed on our way to the wreck while Dani got everyone the equipment they needed. The wreck was SO cool to see! Where else would we see such a thing so easily? Having had family in the Navy during WWII it was fun just to look and imagine this ship was once in service. There were other scuba diving tours going on too so the bubbles from the divers in the ship added to the experience.
The water got pretty rough while we were exploring and some people got a little sick, so on our way back to the reef to snorkel there, there were 3 guys leaned over the back of the boat. I don't have that problem so I thought it was funny and added to the entertainment of my tour! ;)

1  Thank Jamaica H