“EXCELLENT DIVE”

and up
Grand Cayman Kittiwake and Reef Sail
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in West Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: The ex-USS Kittiwake is an Ex-US Navy Submarine Rescue Vessel. She was sunk on January 5th, 2011 in Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands to create an artificial reef and shipwreck attraction for scuba divers and snorkelers to visit and enjoy.The attraction is operated by the Cayman Islands Tourism Association. Please use a licensed operator and all visitors are required to pay a user fee.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Kittiwake shipwreck in Grand Cayman is one of the largest shipwreck dives anywhere in the Caribbean. It's only been less than a year and already the wreck is teeming with life.

1  Thank CanDolHel
There are newer reviews for Kittiwake Shipwreck & Artificial Reef

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Of all the dives we did in Grand Cayman, this is the one we enjoyed the least. Having said that, considering our relative experience and it being our first wreck dive the more experienced divers might enjoy it more than we did.

The main problem - despite my nervousness about seeing the ship loom out of the blue gloom - was that it's, well, empty. Dead. Coral has barely moved in yet so it's a hunk of rusted metal. They've efficiently cleaned the inside out, almost completely, and although the experience of navigating the wreck underwater was new and challenging, it did feel exceedingly claustrophobic and I spent more time minding my location than seeing what was around. It's not a particularly difficult dive considering how efficiently they have cleaned the ship out in terms of obstructions but the problem is, the Kittiwake is up against the coral reefs and wall dives of Grand Cayman.... and in that contest, the reefs and walls win, hands down, every single time.

I'm pleased I've done it, even if it's put me off wrecks for life, but if I ever go back I will stick to the MUCH more interesting, colourful, varied and exciting dives elsewhere around the island.

I imagine snorkelling will be particularly dull even considering the clear waters, what was interesting was the inside of the boat and what little sealife was present.

1  Thank indigo_dc
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I brought a couple of friends along who had never been on a wreck before & we all enjoyed it. It is very safe & solid, making it a great choice for beginner wreck divers.

1  Thank Huner W
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Definitely do not miss this trip, either by snorkel or scuba. Well worth every moment and when booked through Divetech, you will get a full on above and underwater experience to rival any other wreck sites.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

The Kittiwake dive proved to be a disappointing dive last week...not much in marine life and little growth has occurred on the hull since my last dive shortly after it was sunk. The ship is now listing slightly to one side after a storm moved it.
It is to navigate the structure with lots of holes cut to enter and exit the ship while underwater.
Guess I'll wait at least 5 years to dive it again.