“Food at its Finest!”

Osetra Bay Restaurant and Lounge
Ranked #9 of 21 Restaurants in West Bay
Cuisines: Caribbean, European, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Scenic view, Business meetings, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Relaxed and pleasant waterfront restaurant with both indoor and outdoor lounges. Beautifully prepared fresh seafood, steaks and pasta with Caymanian/Caribbean flavors and ingredients. Suitable for families with children.
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food at its Finest!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Luxurious dining with excellent service and food! The servers and waitstaff were impressive-remembering and accommodating each customers' individual preferences and food allergies for all of the courses served. There is an extremely high level of elegance here, from the decor to the waterfront views of the bay. Timing was also impeccable. A nice touch was the napkin folding anytime someone left their seat and the kitchen webcam which was shown on a large LCD screen in the restaurant.

The meal was amazing. Featured dishes were extremely creative, unique, and well-prepared. It was clear that a large amount of attention to detail went into each dish. The presentation was top-notch. The focaccia, salmon, and whipped mashed potatoes were the best I've ever had. I was also able to try the citrus sorbet with white truffle oil and roasted banana ice cream which had absolutely delicious flavors. Interactive food at its finest!

1 Thank PMR21

Woburn
“Don't expect Heston quality or choice”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We returned to the restuarant after 2 years having previously had a good experience. We were heavily disappointed the selection on the menu was poor, the portions were small and expensive, but we don't mind paying top prices if the food is divine. It was bland and not very tasty. We unfortunately won't be returning. Service was good, but ambience was also poor due to it being quiet. Next door, the Calypso Grill was buzzing. Says it all. Needs a new chef and totally remodelling.

Marlow
“Wish I could be positive about this place”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

First the good.
Location and view, decor and music. Service - to a degree. When we walked in we had the wow factor thing going on, and for a while continued to do so.
Now the not so good.
We knew from friends that it was an expensive place, but happy to pay good money for good service and good food. The food, in our very humble opinion, is NOT worth the money charged; it's way overpriced for what you get. It's OK, nothing to complain about, but then nothing to pay CI$70 for a small piece of Steak for.
Service is good, attentive, but very quickly becomes overbearing and fussy, to the point where we wanted to be left alone.
The portions are not what I would describe as small; minute, micro, tiny are words more suited. We both came away hungry and certainly not blown away by the best food on 3 continents.
My partner elected to forgo a starter course so she could fit in a desert (before we realised the size of portion), so we ordered one squid. When the waiter heard her say that she would have some of mine, he pointed us to the menu, that charges CI$5 extra for the dish if another shares. So we didn't share - this is where I started feeling less positive about the place.
After the meal we retired to the lounge area to finish our drinks, where the relaxed ambient atmosphere by the Chef and other members of staff cursing and being really loud at the bar. Fine at the Lone Star or Calico Jacks but not here, not at this price.
So overall we were really disappointed, not with the location or the venue, but with the lack of value for money.
No doubt, any educated foodies out there will tut at my review and label me a philistine, which is probably true.
If, like me, you appreciate value for money, are prepared to spend a lot to get something special, you might give this place a miss.
All in all, a very poor experience for a very high price

1 Thank marlowbilly
“I need what everyone is smoking here...”
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews here I can only come the the opinion that half the people here have no idea what good food is. I'm reading comments like "best I ever had "and "best on 3 continents".. really people.... you must be JOKING. And "molecular gastronomy at its finest".... clearly has never had molecular gastronomy before. After the shock of reading these absurd reviews I'm going to add my two cents.... and for those people looking for an honest assesment please believe me.

The good: decor is trendy hip and stylish like being in Miami or South Beach. Great service. On the water (from what I could see at night). The wine pairing was very good as well. NOTICE HOW NOTHING HERE MENTIONS THE FOOD... I take that back, the foie gras was pretty good.

The bad: its all about the food. Where do I even start? Well for starters, I had the tasting menu (6 courses but more like 4) but one is an amuse bouch and another is the treats at the end of the meal (can't remember what its called , meniardise or something like that). For every place I have ever been to, these don't count toward the number of courses. I'm thinking that's okay, I know what I'm getting into. Its a little odd to inflate the number of courses on your tasting menu but I'll see what the food is like. Of the 4 dishes that I had, 2 could be considered the biggest fails I've ever had at an upscale restaurant. The squid tasted like the sea, but in the bad way like unfresh seafood. It had way too much acid and citrus. Now for the worst dish I've ever tasted at an upscale establishment was the "dim sum". It was this poorly made steamed bun with a tiny amount of braised oxtail that you are suppose to wrap in a red lettuce leaf and dip into a passion friut gastrique. It didn't even sound appetising when presented in front of me and it was even worse when I tried it.

I can't even give kuddos to the chef for trying to be creative because that dim sum dish should never ever be served to anyone with taste buds. I can only hope that the chef puts that recipe on the furthest back shelf of his repertoire behind his dusty cookbooks where it will be buried for eternity!

In all seriousness, 2 okay dishes with 2 disasters... I think getting a 3 is generous on my part. My dinning partner had 4 different dishes and she thought they were okay to good but nothing to write home about. I haven't even commented on the amuse course or the finishing course but i usually don't include those in my critique (because they are usually additions to the meal like little thankyou gifts from the chef). But if I did I think it would have dropped another star.

Final advice, go somewhere else, anywhere else first. I'll add an addendum later if my feelings change after the rest of my food adventures on the island... that dim sum (shaking my head in disbelief).....

4 Thank wesisbest
Toronto
“Amazing view, great food.”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The setting here is amazing and the food is really nice. Many dishes are quite small but a lot of elements go into each bite which makes this restaurant a very unique experience.

Visited December 2012