“The ocean swim was special”
Review of Spirit of the West

Spirit of the West
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: One of the most unique ways to experience Grand Cayman! Trek along the edge of the Caribbean Sea atop one of our magnificent beauties! Enjoy a lazy walk as the surf rolls in and out at the feet of your horse. For the more adventurous, feel the wind in your hair as you canter along the white sand beach. Try something completely out of the ordinary with the swim ride - hold on tight as your horse is steered into the cool and refreshing waters of the Caribbean for a wonderful swim.The true romantics can see the softer side of Cayman with the moonlit ride during the full moon. Guided only by the natural instincts of your horse, enjoy the peaceful nirvana of paradise where the modern world is far and away!Whatever your choice, Spirit of the West delivers premium service with true Caymanian hospitality. Each ride is an experience of a lifetime and every rider feels like they have done something they will never forget!
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

The driver and guide were both pleasant. The horses looked like they needed a good grooming. The manes were quite matted.
It is a beautiful ride on the beach ( but fairly short) there were only 4 of us in the ride so that was nice. We dismounted and took off the saddles and got ready for a barebavk ocean swim. It was neat and an experience to cross off the bucket list. Not sure the horses enjoyed it as much. My husband got thrown off in the water our guide did not seem very concerned.
It was beautiful and I am very glad we did it. I would recommend it.
I was a little surprised when I didn't see the horses get rinsed off or get fresh water when we returned. Instead our guide came in the van with us and got dropped off. She said there was not another ride until sunset that day. So I am hoping someone else tended to the horses.
Thank you for a neat experience. $125 / per person for the ocean swim including I hotel pick up. We did recommend this company to other guests at the hotel as well.

All reviews
in 15 reviews
"bucket list"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed January 31, 2014

As a family of five we wanted something to do on our last night on the island together. Riding the horses along the beach at sunset ended up being perfect. The ride was great, the views were beautiful. It was pretty true to the time we expected and the rides to and from out hotel by Donovan made it so easy! Definite recommendation for a calm, beautiful, night time activity in the Cayman Islands.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I have known my wife for over 10 years so I wanted to surprise her with a horse ride along the beach. As we got closer to the destination she informed me that she was petrified of horses and that I should have known that?? Well after a little prodding I was able to get her to at least sit on the horse and the staff was very reassuring so I can at least say that she may not have overcame her fear of horses she was able to go for the ride!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I booked a 2pm tour and my written confirmation for a ride along with swimming would last 1 hour 45 min.
Well we were back in our car by 3 pm, so our ride was at least 45 min short.
Having been a horse owner, I was not very please to note that it appeared that their horses had not seen a curry comb in a long time. In fact my horse Diamond along with our lead horse's manes were extremely matted. Along with this our guild was using a switch on her mount and personally I did not see the horse acting up and needing it.
Only, thing I could think of was that she was impatient, since a) our ride was 45 min short
B) a friend was there to pick her up as we dismounted.
On a positive note, the swim with Diamond was enjoyable.
I just don't think Spirit of the West is the one to go with.

4  Thank Msdoretha
See more reviews
Reviewed January 18, 2014

If you visit the Cayman Islands, put this on your must do list! We were only going to be there for a week. I found spirit of the West on the Trip Advisor list before we went. Since we were going to be there the week between Christmas and New Years, I knew I would have to book some things ahead of time. I checked their website and saw that they went out several times a day, but that only the 10 AM and 2 PM trips were the ones where you could Swim With The a Horses"! I checked their online reservation calendar and saw that they only had two spots left on the Friday before we left on the 10 AM trip. They only go out Monday through Friday and were closed on Monday and Tuesday of that week because of the holiday. I booked the reservation quickly because I didn't want to miss out! On the day of the ride we set out at around 8:30. We were staying in East End and it's about an hour drive to get there. (They are located in the West End.) As we were driving, the sky was getting darker and darker. Then it started pouring. By the time we arrived in the West End, it was raining even harder. Paul was there to meet us with the horses ready, just in case but he said that he feared we might have to cancel. He said we could wait it out to see what the weather was going to do. Meanwhile he was checking the weather report for an update. We waited about 20 minutes. The weather only got worse. Paul came to our vehicle and , very apologetically said he would have to cancel. He said he felt very bad about the fact that we had travelled such a distance to get there. He was so accommodating! As I stated above, Spirit of the West doesn't usually do rides on the weekend, but he asked if we were willing to come back the next day, Saturday. We were so thrilled. We said we absolutely would. He then gave us a very full list of things to do in the west end which included attractions, restaurants and snorkeling spots! We visited several of them and had a great day despite the rain.
The next day, the sun was shining brightly and so were we. We arrived at the West End to find it was a beautiful day there as we'll! Paul was waiting for us again with horses ready to go. He apologized for not being able to take us out himself for the first part of the ride because he had a private ride scheduled. We were fine with that and embarked on our ride with our wonderful guide. She was full of life, funny and wearing a Boston Red Sox hat, which we teased her about since we're Yankees fans! The horses were excellent, we'll cared for and also full of life. We went on a fabulous ride in Barker's National Park. We enjoyed the lovely views along the way as well as watching the kite surfers zipping across the water. We eventually reached a place that looked like a horse camp. We dismounted and our guidetook off the saddles. We remounted and our guide borrowed our camera to take a bunch of pictures of us! Then off we went into the water. This was no tiptoe through the water! We went pretty far out and the horses were actually swimming!! It was amazing! I've been horseback riding hundreds of times, but this was an experience like no other! As we turned our horses around to head back to land, our guide told us to hold up. She raced back to shore, got my camera and took a bunch more pictures of us riding in the water! (No company camera and a $100 offer to buy the photos after the trip here!!) We knew we weren't scheduled for the private ride( which would take you further down the beach and through the mangroves) so we were prepared to saddle up and head back to our starting point. But... We were in for a surprise! Paul and his group met up with us there. Paul and our guide switched groups and off we went with Paul to ride further on the beach. He said he felt badly about us having to come all the way back and wanted to give us more of a ride to thank us! All of this as well as opening up on the weekend to accommodate us! Paul was a wealth of knowledge about the island's history. He had interesting stories to tell and was a wonderful guide! He also took several photos of us with our own camera... A favorite being by the "Tree of Lost Soles!" (Not a typo!)
We would highly recommend Spirit of the West! The trip was amazing as well as the people and the horses. Who, by the way enjoyed a treat of hard candies! This is definitely a DO NOT MISS on your trip to Grand Cayman!

2  Thank catmeow3