“Delicious food, great value, wonderful experience...”
Review of The Marmora Inn

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I had the opportunity to spend some time in France this past March, and a happy memory of that experience was the opportunity to experience fine dining at reasonable prices - fresh food prepared in amazing ways in beautiful settings. Who would have thought that we could have the same experience in Marmora, Ontario, an historic town half way between Toronto and Ottawa on Highway 7, about 40 km north of Belleville. Indeed we did, this past Sunday, on the eve of my wife's birthday. The Marmora Inn is a beautiful century house that is a bed and breakfast operated with great love and passion by Rui and Kathy. My usual inclination is toward fish, but here I decided to try the quail appetizer and then the breast of duck. My wife chose the cheese and philo appetizer and pork tenderloin. We were intoxicated by the food and its seductive presentation. It came in ample amounts, and more importantly it was cooked and flavoured to perfection. Quail was new to me, but wonderfully grilled and seasoned. The duck resolved any previous apprehensions I might have had about it being fatty – the breast was succulent and prepared in a wonderful marinade, with the meat sliced to let the flavours reach inside. We had a bottle of Carm 2010, which Rui imports directly from Portugal, it turns out. At less than $40 it was excellent value. To top off our dinner – did I mention that you can get a prix fixe four-course meal for $38? – we had dessert. My wife had poached pears in a port wine sauce. I had the carrot cake, which is Rui’s daughter’s secret recipe. I usually wouldn’t eat so much at a meal, but this was a special occasion, and the evening was comfortably unhurried. There was always something at the table to nibble at, from olives and bread all the way, with complementary carbonated mineral water. In truth, in France, there are many places as good as the Marmora Inn, few that are better. In Eastern Ontario, you would have to travel a fair way to find Marmora Inn’s match. It simply is excellent, on all fronts: quality, value, ambiance, and hospitality.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Friendly hosts that do their best to make you feel welcome
A tasty variety of foods from fish to fowl with picture perfect presentation.
Classy show from the white linen table cloths to the after dinner coffee brought in a silver service all done with a nice background of Portugese mood music.
This is all for a price half what you would find in the big city.This is our 5th or 6th return visit with different friends and it is surely not our last.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed at their B&B for a couple of nights so having a restaurant in the premises was a welcome. (See B&B write up.)
We ate 3 meals here. Two breakfasts and a dinner.
Our breakfasts were made up of French Toast for me and an omelette for Sandy. Both were passable. (We both wanted the crepes but they weren't available the first night.)
Next morning we had the crepes and they were great!
The dinners confuse me. I had the lamb shank and Sandy had the duck. (Yes, this is Marmora!!)
Both meals were cooked to perfection. Fall off the bone meat and moist, pink duck meat. But, both were lacking in taste.
I gather the owners are Portugese and I've never been to Portugal, so I don't know if their meals are generally under spiced but ours were.
I doubt there is a better place to eat in town.

Reviewed October 24, 2011

Who would have thought that in a small village in a house you could eat great fine food. Our party all raved about the food and to top it off the ambiance of the old home with fine furnishings and the art work made the evening especially memorable. A note the house wine was a great bargain. We will return and are advising our friends to check out this hidden gem!

Reviewed October 1, 2011

We just came back from a Great Dining Experience.. From the moment we walked in ( our first time) we were greeted by Kathy..who took us on a tour of the Inn....Dinner was 5 star..gourmet...Service was attentive and friendly. Food ...well all four of us agree a fantastic meal ...all courses. Great attention to detail ,presentation and fusion.....What a find on a side street in Marmora....We will be back soon and recommend this establishment highly...You will not be disapointed.

2  Thank Kawartha Ron