“Fresh beautifully presented food”
Review of Dandelion

Dandelion
Ranked #1 of 58 Restaurants in Elwood
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I recently had lunch with my partner at this simply decorated but comfortable restaurant. The place took a little bit of finding with a small and not particularly eye catching sign out the front - we almost walked past it, however once inside we were well looked after. In the tradition of great Vietnamese food the dishes are filled with fresh produce and aromatic herbs and there was a wonderful variety for selection. The two dishes we had to start- green rice tiger prawns with nuoc chum and Hmong spiced eggplant were delicious - just the right balance of flavours - both were absolutely beautifully presented. A great deal of care is put into all the dishes we ate and saw being delivered to the other tables. Mains were of an equall standard though my only disappointment was the Pho that I ordered did not have the depth of flavours I would expect. Prices are on the high side but the thought and care provided in these dishes comes at a price. Looking forward to my next visit.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Tender goat curry, sublty spiced, was a treat.
Others in our group enjoyed Pho.
For dessert, the pandan cake (though stodgy) went well with coconut jelly and rice custard

Reviewed May 11, 2012

Loved the place, was let down by service thought hence the 4 stars, we asked about a bottle of wine, the guy obviously didn't know the answer but instead of getting someone who did he tried to blag his way out of it, a bit awkward to be honest when we all knew what he was doing, glasses not cleared, no-one told us how we were suposed to put some of the dishes that we were unfarmiliar to us together, luckily one of our party was a chef and helped us out. Would go back though and reccomend to others

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Dandelion is among my must list to do in Melbourne. It is not only because Gourmet Traveller wrote 2 full pages of the restaurant review but also I am Vietnamese being curious how Vietnamese and Western cuisine is combined together.

It was not difficult to make a booking via internet and I had no difficult to delay my booking for another 15 minutes. Whoever on the phone was very polite.

Its outlook is very simple but as soon as I stepped in, I love it. Our table is next to the open plan windows and it creates a fresh feeling. The open kitchen also impressed me as I can smell fresh and good food from there.

I order the lobster spring roll for my entree and it is amazing. I didn't realise there is fresh lychee in the spring roll until I dropped it on the dipping plate. It is nice. For main course, I have got duck in coconut grill. It is well marinated and grill to the certain right. It comes well with coconut flavour and I can say straight they use "Chao sauce" to marinate the duck. Well done. I love how green vegetables is mixed together into the dish. There are bok choys, egg plants, and other green herbs. Overall, the food is over my expectation. I love the dessert of mixed fresh berries and jelly. Again, I am so glad I had got the dessert after 2 big courses.

Regarding to the price, it is pricey. We paid totally $200 for 2 people with food and drinks. But again, for 1 time spending to experience the good food, I am very happy to pay the money.

Service is nice and friendly. Only one thing I wasn't impressed was that the supervisor on the night was wiping the table with soap water on the table in front of guests. I was seeing her hand with chemical and right straight after that she was bringing food to others.

Overall, I am glad that I have made it to Dandelion. You should come and enjoy a good meal.

Reviewed April 4, 2012

Light, fresh and delicious.... we need to go back for more. We only chose from the small eats side of the menu with delightful roast lobster rice paper rolls, steamed rice noodle rolls stuffed with spanner crab and mushrooms, soft shelled crab and avocado rice paper rolls........ the highlight was the authentic tasting pandanus glutinous cake with coconut jelly and rice pudding brulee !