“Tired, poorly serviced, but reasonably cheap”

Matthew Flinders Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chadstone
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I am staying here for a conference, and this is my second night (Saturday), so I don't know about noise.

The standard room is large enough and it has a surprising large robe area instead of a wardrobe. The bathroom is reasonable, but the basin has a timed push tap which is awkward if you want to do anything, and takes ages to warm up. I assume this is a water saving device due to the propensity of drought in Australia. The down side to this feature is that it takes so long and so much water before you get warm water that you waste water getting it warm. The best thing to do is use it after a shower, when the water is already to the room.

The bed was not made, the pillows were where I left them and the blankets and cover simply pulled up and loosely tossed over the pillows.

Upon turning down the bed the night before, I had to brush dead bugs off the sheet.

The coffee table in the room is dangerously loose.

The power points don't operate when I plug in my lap top, but operate for the toaster. Don't know what's going on there, but it was very odd.

"Continental" breakfast is 3 packets of cereal and four slices of white bread.

Packets of butter and margarine are in the fridge, and I left them out of the fridge to soften while at the conference. When I returned they'd been thrown away and not replaced. Bizarre behaviour.

It felt as if everything is rushed and hurried, with only a cursory nod to room service of the most basic kind.

I have put the chain on the door each night. The bed is comfortable, the heating good, and I'd probably stay here again if I was attending a conference due to its location, but I'd bring my own breakfast supplies.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank cagfire

Reviewed February 28, 2012

The Management seems to have a very inflexible attitude to their meals. In a case of a customer with severe food allergies, they cannot provide vegetables that have not been pre~prepared with butter and even when ordering the most expensive steak cannot substitute the accompaniments. Will not be going there again.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank yeti5
Reviewed November 10, 2011

OK, it's basic and fairly noisy, as the rooms are across from the Nightclub....but saying all that, the bed was comfortable (probably well worn in) and the shower was a joy....I have paid a lot more for a lot worse over the years. For the experienced traveller, with the ability shut the noise out, it's a comfortable, cheap, clean place to put your head....and the staff are pretty friendly too.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Watt5y
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I stayed here for a course recently. Upon booking in the staff did warn there would be some noise from a nightclub on two nights of my stay. They were not exaggerating. I stayed in a ground floor room of this motel (it is not actually a hotel) and the noise was unbearable with the music from the nightclub playing until 3.30am both nights. I was also able to hear every noise from the room next to me including an argument and a drug deal. Needless to say I made sure the chain was on my door. If you want to be able to get any rest don't stay here.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank JCD2114
Reviewed September 21, 2010

I stayed at the Matthew Flinders for 3 nights so that I could attend a course at the nearby Waverley Basketball Centre.
This hotel is just across the street from Holmesglen Railway station which is on the Glen Waverley train line in south east Melbourne.
When I booked the room, the staff member (Nerryllie ?) was very helpful and even emailed details of which train ticket to buy and how to get to the hotel from the train station.
The motel block is on the same site as the hotel which has a restaurant. I didn't try the restaurant. Also on site is a Nando's chicken outlet and directly across the road is McDonalds. Across the other intersection is a strip of shops that included a hairdresser, a couple of mini markets, a hot bread shop, a newsagent and a few Korean and other Asian restaurants. There were also buses that ran along the main road that the hotel was located on. The huge Chadstone Shopping Centre is alos within walking distance, depending on how fit you are feeling and how much you like walking alongside a busy road.
I am a married woman, but was travelling on my own in this instance. I had an upstairs room (no lifts) and I managed to get my suitcase upstairs okay by myself.
I stayed on Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights. I had been told that there would be a disco on one of the nights so was expecting lots of noise. There was a bit of shouting from patrons, but once I turned on the air con and tv, it blocked the sound out a fair bit.
A continental breakfast was provided in the room each day and for me it was quite adequate. There was bottled juice, bread for toasting and cereal. Jug and toaster are in the room and a small fridge too.
Even though the carpet was a bit stained, I felt the room was clean and I thought it a satisfactory place to stay for $275 for the 3 nights.
Bathroom was clean and good water pressure and hot water readily available.
I felt safe staying there by myself and the location worked well for me as I was able to walk everywhere I needed to go and was able to catch the train and skybus back to the airport with no trouble.
Checkout was quick and easy, with my account ready when I got to reception.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Qldgirl1
Reviewed July 12, 2008

I stayed here as it is opposite a conference centre, where I was attending a course. Whilst the staff were friendly the room was dirty, very basic ammenities. I was woken up regularly through the night, and would not recommend this for lone female travellers. The food available at the 'restaurant' was overpriced and disgusting, plus you have to stand in line to order your food, and your drinks as well as collect your meal. The place is full of screaming children and has the feel of a canteen.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed July 1, 2008

I stayed her with my son for a night. It is a basic, clean motel located in the 'backyard' of a large pub in a drab part of Melbourne. The staff were pleasant and friendly, but we waited about an hour after ordering a basic meal. There's a strange quirk with the sink, you have to push a button to release some water which squirts out freezing cold.. no good to wash your face, and hard to clean your teeth. So, probably a real nuisance for longer stays. It's apparently owned by a supermarket chain with no owners on site. The shower, toilet, TV and beds are all OK and it was kept quite clean.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chadstone
Chapel Street
Hotel Claremont
Hotel Claremont
#114 of 161 in Melbourne
Ibis Melbourne Glen Waverley
#2 of 4 in Glen Waverley
Apartments Ink
#5 of 19 in St Kilda

Been to Matthew Flinders Hotel? Share your experiences!