“Perfect family lunch”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 20, 2015 via mobile

We came here early January for a quiet lunch, complete with our two dogs. We were all made really welcome by the already busy staff who were friendly and calm, they even brought a bowl of water for the dogs.

Food was superb. Fresh (really fresh) eggs, delicious ham, proper scampi (not the mashed up stuff you find in many places). Amazing chips.

Place was busy, but not too noisy and nicely decorated still after christmas.

It was our first visit here, but it definitely will not be our last.

Reviewed March 2, 2015

Last Sunday I had the pleasure of eating my first all beige/grey roast diner. This consisted of two sorry looking slices of what I think were beef. It was hard to tell as they were covered in a lamb tasting gravy. This was complimented by 4 tiny slices of carrot, 1ish parsnip, two stale tasting roast potatoes and two over boiled potatoes.i was hoping to see something green on my plate but I think they must have run out. I felt like I had been sent back to the 1970's when colour and taste weren't invented yet!

2  Thank S A
Reviewed January 16, 2015

This is a lovely pub especially if you are a beer lover. The food is home cooked and you do have to wait a bit but well worth it. The staff are very friendly. Do book as they get very busy.

Reviewed January 15, 2015

Great pies and real ale. Good value, good service. What more could you want? Traditional English food well severed.

Reviewed December 1, 2014

Driven past this pub/restaurant 100 times and never called in until today. There are 3 pubs within a short distance of each other, but this one has always looked the most interesting, and they have a recommendation from Camra so we thought we'd have a look.
First impression is dated, but in a good way full of little nic-naks on the walls and any flat surface. Staff were friendly I ordered a pint and asked about food. The pint was an ale from Yeovil, and there were a few to choose from, we took our seats near the real fire.
Its waitress service, I had the steak & ale pie, my wife had salmon from the specials board. The menu was simple. When it came the food was very nice my pie actually contained real steak. Most of the patrons seemed to be local and known by the staff but it was quite busy on a Monday night on a road that has 2 other pubs within walking distance, so the service has to be good.
And the "quirky" title ? Most of the nic-naks were owls. Loads of owls big eyes looking over you. Fantastic. pictures, ornaments, brass owls, even a stained glass window owl behind the bar. There are too few pubs like this left, we should support those that are still here.