“Hmmm.”
Review of Buccaneer Resort

Buccaneer Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carenero Island
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Was not really sure what to expect and I'm still not sure how I feel about this place. We took a boat over with no reservations. The place we wanted was booked so walked over to the Buccaneer. Elisabeth at the desk was very helpful and showed us a few different rooms to choose from. We choose the yurt. It was clean and functional but like most places in Bocas, it had a musty smell. We also had crickets (or something) living in our roof, which was quite mouldy. We were only there for the night so we didn't worry to much. It's was raining (surprise lol) so I did slip and fall on the stairs. Was not hurt though. The restaurant was great. We sat and had drinks with some other guests and enjoyed it immensely. However, no fault to the establishment, the mass swarms of sand fleas ate me alive. Would not go back to Carrenero for this reason alone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kimpro

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I've stayed there with my girl during April 2013.

The island it's "virgin" , i mean you still can find a very nice nature and small "human intervention".

Now talking about Buccaneer:
First impression was "Where the hell I am". Last impression was "This is the best place in the Island". People was extreamly nice (not easy in Bocas) , the breakfast simple but great (amazing Pineapple!!!!). Rooms where clean and provided of everything you might need in a place like bocas.

Vram (the owner) gave us a room update for the same price and some very good advices about the island and bocas.

Feel free to ask me anything , i'll answer as soon as I can.

PS: My first review, fully motivated by the great experience there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My family stayed in a suite, that had two rooms. One was closed-in, had AC, and it was where the bathroom was. The other was an open room with two twin beds, a table, sink area with small fridge, and was easily open to the beach/ocean by moveing the partition like doors.
The area is amazing, along with the views. Bibi's restaurant was on the property, and it is great. Plus, each guest gets a $5 breakfast coupon, which pretty much took care of breakfast. Also, for every $10 spent at Bibis, you get 1 hour free for the Buccaneer's kayaks, paddleboats, etc.
My only complaint was that there was a leak in the rook (it rained every morning we were there) and the open room did not have AC, but the kids didn't mind. The staff also cleaned any rain up, and were very helpful.
Note: this is a great area, but a little rougher than you would think of when considering "resorts".

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Probably the best place to stay in Bocas, especially if you value cleanliness which is lacking in the rest of Bocas del Toro. The main town is dirty and dilapidated so this will be a gem in the chaos as it's a peaceful escape. The rooms are all a few steps from the beach and there's a great restaurant with a large menu and pleasant atmosphere. They also offer surf and paddle boards as well as Internet service so you need not even leave the island. Bed matresses and linens could be stepped up in quality for a better rating.

Room Tip: During mosquito season get a bungalow with a screened porch. Take deet with you regardless of the ti...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night when traveling to Panama for a 2-week trip with a friend. We were supposed to stay 2 nights but decided to leave after the island lost power and we weren't comfortable. We stayed in a beautiful cabana overlooking the water with 2 bedrooms and a porch with a hammock but the mosquitos were annoying and the cabin felt sticky. Bibi's, the restaurant just a minute away, was convenient and had a nice menu and great fresh juices. Buccaneer is a unique property but we preferred staying in Bocas Town.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank shepador
Reviewed January 24, 2013

It's perfect if your looking to get away from "normal" life. The beach is good, the views are amazing, and the staff that i encountered were great and more than accommodating. (Elisabeth and Bram) I think people need to understand what you should be embracing about being off the radar. If your looking for a secluded island get away in Panama this is it. Safe travels...

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Weird, but I'm not sure who this horrible owner is that everyone is talking about - unless he's had a complete personality transformation. The man I met was perfectly lovely and accommodating. We weren't all that thrilled with our accommodation - specifically, we felt it was grossly over-priced. The "one-bedroom suite" in the bungalow is not a suite by anyone's standards. It is a very small, dark, dingy room - much too small for three people for three nights. At, say, $60 a night, I might have accepted it, but not for nearly $100 a night ($88, to be exact). Its saving grace was the attached screened in porch that was literally 30 feet from shore. That was the awesome part. So if you're only one person or a couple, the room might be ok for you. But I still contend at $88 a night, it's too much. While the owner tried to convince me "well, that's the going rate in Bocas in high season" he was immediately responsive to my concerns and offered us a discount on the room. He was very, very nice. Don't get me wrong - I actually really liked the Buccaneer. Bibi's restaurant and the Pickled Parrot right there were both super (beautiful setting) and you can kayak, surf and paddle board right there because the entire resort is literally ON the beach. It is a beautiful setting. My only beef was the wrong price point for that room.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
#2 of 13 in Bocas Town
Gran Hotel Bahia
Gran Hotel Bahia
#5 of 13 in Bocas Town

Been to Buccaneer Resort? Share your experiences!