“Better than expected!”
Review of Buccaneer Resort

Buccaneer Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carenero Island
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My family stayed in a suite, that had two rooms. One was closed-in, had AC, and it was where the bathroom was. The other was an open room with two twin beds, a table, sink area with small fridge, and was easily open to the beach/ocean by moveing the partition like doors.
The area is amazing, along with the views. Bibi's restaurant was on the property, and it is great. Plus, each guest gets a $5 breakfast coupon, which pretty much took care of breakfast. Also, for every $10 spent at Bibis, you get 1 hour free for the Buccaneer's kayaks, paddleboats, etc.
My only complaint was that there was a leak in the rook (it rained every morning we were there) and the open room did not have AC, but the kids didn't mind. The staff also cleaned any rain up, and were very helpful.
Note: this is a great area, but a little rougher than you would think of when considering "resorts".

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Probably the best place to stay in Bocas, especially if you value cleanliness which is lacking in the rest of Bocas del Toro. The main town is dirty and dilapidated so this will be a gem in the chaos as it's a peaceful escape. The rooms are all a few steps from the beach and there's a great restaurant with a large menu and pleasant atmosphere. They also offer surf and paddle boards as well as Internet service so you need not even leave the island. Bed matresses and linens could be stepped up in quality for a better rating.

Room Tip: During mosquito season get a bungalow with a screened porch. Take deet with you regardless of the ti...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night when traveling to Panama for a 2-week trip with a friend. We were supposed to stay 2 nights but decided to leave after the island lost power and we weren't comfortable. We stayed in a beautiful cabana overlooking the water with 2 bedrooms and a porch with a hammock but the mosquitos were annoying and the cabin felt sticky. Bibi's, the restaurant just a minute away, was convenient and had a nice menu and great fresh juices. Buccaneer is a unique property but we preferred staying in Bocas Town.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank shepador
Reviewed January 24, 2013

It's perfect if your looking to get away from "normal" life. The beach is good, the views are amazing, and the staff that i encountered were great and more than accommodating. (Elisabeth and Bram) I think people need to understand what you should be embracing about being off the radar. If your looking for a secluded island get away in Panama this is it. Safe travels...

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Weird, but I'm not sure who this horrible owner is that everyone is talking about - unless he's had a complete personality transformation. The man I met was perfectly lovely and accommodating. We weren't all that thrilled with our accommodation - specifically, we felt it was grossly over-priced. The "one-bedroom suite" in the bungalow is not a suite by anyone's standards. It is a very small, dark, dingy room - much too small for three people for three nights. At, say, $60 a night, I might have accepted it, but not for nearly $100 a night ($88, to be exact). Its saving grace was the attached screened in porch that was literally 30 feet from shore. That was the awesome part. So if you're only one person or a couple, the room might be ok for you. But I still contend at $88 a night, it's too much. While the owner tried to convince me "well, that's the going rate in Bocas in high season" he was immediately responsive to my concerns and offered us a discount on the room. He was very, very nice. Don't get me wrong - I actually really liked the Buccaneer. Bibi's restaurant and the Pickled Parrot right there were both super (beautiful setting) and you can kayak, surf and paddle board right there because the entire resort is literally ON the beach. It is a beautiful setting. My only beef was the wrong price point for that room.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 20, 2012

The most relaxing part of my trip. If you want room service and fancy hotel rooms this isn't for you. But if you want a hammock on the porch that looks right down on the beach with food and drink a 50' barefoot walk away (at BiBi's) this is the place. The girls in the office are extremely helpful. They call you water taxi's, set you up with tours, just about everything. I wouldn't go back to Panama without stopping there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jim3109
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I made reservations at this establishment based on the glowing reviews I found on Trip Advisor. I want to start with the good part and that is the management by Lisa. She was extremely helpful, gracious and accomodating. Her assistant Elizabeth who took over when Lisa was gone was equally gracious.

Having said that, the room that I shared with my sister was a disaster. We had the upstairs, two room "suite". We shared our room with bats, mice and gheckos. The gheckos I can understand, and even appreciate. The others not so much. The room leaked every night. Midway through out stay a tarp was placed (or repostioned) over the roof. This did not solve the water coming in, just moved it to another location. The shower did not have a shower head, but was a pipe coming out of the wall. The shower door was near impossible to open, and then I could not close it to take a shower resulting in puddles of water on the floor. The shutters did not close completely, and were ineffective in keeping out the mosquitos. The beds each had mosquito nets over them. However if you turned on the ceiling fan in one room it hit the net frame and made loud noise all night long.

The room came with a $5 coupon per person for breakfast. The only problem with this is that the restaurant didn't open til later. I was even told at one point that they would not open till lunch or later as there weren't enough people staying at the hotel. I can understand this reasoning, bringing in staff for a guest or two doesn't make sense, but we should have been told this beforehand.

The locks on the doors are minimal. The front door had a simple padlock that was about 1/8 inch thick, same for the french door shutters going across the front. The bedroom lock, which we were encouraged to use consisted on a simple push button lock that any child knows how to unlock. We did have a deadbolt on the downstairs entrance which I appreciated.

Another positive is the view and location. Both are great as the Buncanner has one of the few beach fronts on the island. Several islanders that I spoke with said that the Bucaneer had been greatly neglected by the owners. It is a shame as it seems that it has great potential. I had family staying at Casa Aquario which I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Bocas Ridge Hotel
Bocas Ridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Almirante
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos

Been to Buccaneer Resort? Share your experiences!