“Excellent hotel!!!”
Review of Hotel Tierra Verde

Hotel Tierra Verde
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Reviewed March 10, 2005

Absouletly loved Tierra Verde! I have never stayed at a hotel that was more relaxing and accomodating than Tierra Verde. Ivan and Cookie (owners) have done an excellent job with the beautiful house and were eager to make my stay in Bocas perfect! Any tours or fishing trips were easily arranged and Gabriel, the the hotel boat driver was the nicest I met during my stay. Overall experience was the best vacation I've had in a long time! The hotel is on Carenero Key, which in my opinion provides its guests with a more relaxed and peaceful setting than staying in Isla Colon. The boat trips are extremely short and cheap to the sorrounding islands. Carenero also had the best restaurants in all of Bocas, all in walking distance from the hotel. Tierra Verde provides all the comfort, security, and ammenities that anyone traveling to Bocas would need. When our departing flight was canceled and the airport put us up at a hotel in Colon (Tierra Verde was booked) I really realized what a great hotel I had been staying in all week and understood why it was completely booked. I would recommend it over and over again! I look foward to returning next year for sure!

• Stayed: February 2005
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Reviewed January 10, 2005

If you are young and want to relax, surf and make new friends, that´s the place! Very close to the best surf spots and the Hotel has the best boat driver on the island. Perfect and cleaned rooms (with air conditioning) and a beer for $1. Fantastic! Hotel staff arrange whatever you want and need.
But if you are old, with a big family...

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 9, 2005

Hi. This is my first review, so here goes. I recently returned from an amazing 10 day trip to Bocas. The hotel, situated on Isla Caranero, gives you the feeling of being local as you are removed from the main town of Bocas, but are still just a quick 2 minute boat-taxi ride away. Unlike previous reviewers, who apperntly were expecting the staff to sit there and wait to cater to their every whim, I found Cookie and Ivan to be excellent hosts. Let's remeber people, this is Central America, not the Ritz Carlton in Coral Gables. The hotel was well built, clean, well kept, provided a cotninental breakfast, hot water and A/C - what more could you need? If you are looking for a place to stay that provides you with all the amenities of a top US establishment maybe you should look elsewhere and maybe you should consider not going to Bocas at all. However, if you are looking to get down with the locals, have the inside track to all of the best spots for dining, snorkeling, surfing, and access to the hotel's boat with the island's best boat driver Gabriel, then Tierra Verde is the place. Ivan and Cookie rule!

7  Thank jtfrostnyc
Reviewed November 20, 2004

We just got back from Bocas and had a great time! Our only bad experience was at this hotel. In fact we left after the first day and stayed at another. The price was too high for the service and the quality. It did not feel like a hotel. Instead we felt as if we were dorming with a bunch of sloppy college kids. The staff was very lazy. Beware!

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Owensboro, Kentucky
Reviewed October 28, 2004

The positive reviews led to me submitting this review. Those writing them appear to profess too strongly. Why so emphatically positive about this hotel? It is mediocre at best by any measure one would use. Morevoer, nobody who is objective would call the place immaculate nor the service superb. While I won't give it the lowest rating possible I would still rate it as well less than average and I am not surprised to see the other bad reviews. The descriptions in those are not way off the mark. In fact the glowingly positive reviews are very different than my experience and are very suspect to me having been at The Tierra Verde. There are some good hotels on the island. I would suggest looking elsewhere if possible.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 25, 2004

If you've travelled at all in Central America, Tierra Verde will be a welcome departure from the norm.
Friendly, helpfull hosts, a clean room with clean sheets and air conditioning. Low profile, laid back management and "homey ambiance" mean we would definitely come back for more!

• Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank reneestargazer
Reviewed October 19, 2004

I just read the review lauding Tierra del Verde and felt that I had to respond to it with my review. I have never written a review of anything before but I feel obligated to respond with my experience. I read the review posted about the hospitality of the hosts and the quality of the hotel and was very surprised. My wife and I put off by the service which was practically non-existant as well as by the appearance of the staff. I realize that the island(like all islands) is low-key and laid back but come on. This does not mean that hygiene should not be a consideration. If you don't care about hygiene and don't require even minimal service then maybe this place would suffice. But then again you can get that somewhere else for less money. Just my two cents...

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cosmic Crab Resort
Cosmic Crab Resort
#2 of 4 in Carenero Island
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos
Bambuda Lodge
Bambuda Lodge
#1 of 3 in Isla Solarte

Been to Hotel Tierra Verde? Share your experiences!