Our visit to Bocas Del Toro and our stay at Careening Cay Resort was a delight and one of our best family vacations!!!! In spite of the rain (it rained more on than off for 4 of our 7 days), we made the most of our much needed respite and precious vacation time with our kids. Joan and Steve's wonderful, warm hospitality, good nature and good humor, (he is a funny guy!), helped shift the rain clouds to laughing rounds, spontaneous fun and true R&R. We borrowed movies, played board games in the restaurant (under an amazing handwoven thatched roof, a must see work of art!), listened to great music, moved the tables and danced in the restaurant, then literally danced in the rain out on the dock. Edwin, the bartender, brought us frozen drinks (sans booze for the kids) while we lazed in hammocks on the "rancho" over the water. The frozen Bocas Blue Breeze and appropo, Tropical Storm are delicious. We dove in and swam off the rancho. Steve gave us fishing poles and bait and we caught yellow snapper. Mostly we laughed...............ALOT!!!!!!!!!!
The food in the Sunset Grill is superb. Banana leaf wrapped fish...divine. The Tequila Lime Chicken Fettuccine was a delicious family favorite. The mixed Seafood with Linguini, artichokes, sundried tomatoes, pine nuts (+) was one of the best meals I've ever had ANYWHERE!!!
Our 2 room cabin was clean, lovely, all wooden with kitchenette, TV/DVD. We spent much time simply enjoying the view from our front porch.
And then the sun came out.......Hallelujah!!!!
Day trips were about $15-20 per person. Go to Dolphin Bay. There were lots of dolphin who also seemed to delight in the return of the sun. Great lunch at Crawl Cay and don't miss Red Frog Beach, it IS gorgeous!!! Joan gave us snorkles and masks and the coral reefs are beautiful.
We enjoyed walking around town, stocking up on treats at Super Gourmet and buying trinkets from street vendors. Everyone is friendly, though we're glad we chose not to stay in town, a little too crowded and noisy for us, and it's such a quick and easy boat ride by water taxi ($1) to Carenero. Take a walk around the island, an eye opener to a different lifestyle. The sandy beach and beautiful view on the other side of the island is worth the walk.
All in all, in spite of some rain, and maybe even because of it, we had a great time in Bocas. We will definitely be back, and Careening Cay is a fantastic place to stay with friends and family.
Sharon, Pat, Josh and Ian
Ithaca, New York
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our waterfront paradise is on the island, Isla Carenero. The resort now encompasses 6 1/2 acres of lush, tropical landscaping and over 600 feet of waterfront. Our backyard is verdant rain forest. We sit on a point facing west, which captures the refreshing Caribbean breeze and offers up fabulous sunsets. We are just a two minute boat ride across the bay to Bocas Town. We enjoy the convenience of close proximity to town, yet are removed from the hub hub, noise, pavement, cars and heat, while on our own tropical island.The resort is peaceful and quiet. We have hummingbird feeders throughout. Many different birds, including parrots can be heard singing and conversing in the trees. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Cosmic Crab Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Careening Cay Hotel Carenero Island
- Cosmic Crab Resort Panama/Carenero Island, Bocas Del Toro