We stayed at Careening Cay for four nights and had a great time. The owners were very friendly and helpful, I can see where some people may find them "gruff" or whatever word you want to use but it helps to understand that they run a restaurant, a hotel other businesses as well as raise two young children. Everyone has their bad days. Their staff is incredible and always friendly. You may run into Joan as she is in the middle of trying to get her kids to do their homework and at the same time trying to flag down the lobster fisherman so her restaurant can have fresh lobster and she MAY be a little frazzled but the point is they are only human and they do a fantastic job of running the place. Most places you go and/or stay at you'll never even meet the owner! Both Joan and Steve sat down with us and talked to us and gave us tons of advice. The rooms were comfortable and spacious. The restaurant is great. The drinks are great. It is SUPER easy to get around, all you have to do is call a water taxi from the phone they provide and someone is there to get you in less than two minutes. You can be on the main island 2 minutes and $1/person later. The great thing is though, you don't even have to leave Isla Carenero. It is a large island with two other restaurants/bars and a lot to explore. Our ONLY complaint was we wished there was at least a small refrigerator in the room for leftovers/snacks/beers. The larger rooms may have this feature though, I am not sure. We didn't think the noise was a problem as others have stated. One thing you need to understand before even coming to Bocas though is there is a lot of night life and it is LOUD. It is not quiet, ever. That being said, the music did not carry too bad and if we popped in a movie before bed we never noticed it. Make sure you ask Joan if you can meet Kinka, she is adorable. You won't have to ask for Mango, their golden retriever. She'll be there waiting for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our waterfront paradise is on the island, Isla Carenero. The resort now encompasses 6 1/2 acres of lush, tropical landscaping and over 600 feet of waterfront. Our backyard is verdant rain forest. We sit on a point facing west, which captures the refreshing Caribbean breeze and offers up fabulous sunsets. We are just a two minute boat ride across the bay to Bocas Town. We enjoy the convenience of close proximity to town, yet are removed from the hub hub, noise, pavement, cars and heat, while on our own tropical island.The resort is peaceful and quiet. We have hummingbird feeders throughout. Many different birds, including parrots can be heard singing and conversing in the trees. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Careening Cay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Careening Cay Hotel Carenero Island
- Careening Cay Resort Panama/Carenero Island, Bocas Del Toro