“a great time at escuela del mar!”

Escuela del Mar Surf School
Reviewed August 24, 2013

i can only recommend escuela del mar. the guys are absolutely friendly and helpful. and you get here lessons for the best price in bocas!
thanks to manuel, jose and the girls from bibis on the beach! ;)

There are newer reviews for Escuela del Mar Surf School

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Thank you Luis and family (Manuel, Jose and BIBI!!) for teaching us to surf! We had a great time with you. Traveling with my daugher 25 and son 15 - we came to the La Escuela del Mar Surf School on a recommendation from our host at Red Frog Bungalows. They took such good care of us. They did an amazing job and we all got up nearly first try! Luis is really conscious of safety, and minimizing students energy output paddling so there is enough left to surf. Manuel stayed in the water the entire time at the "launch" while Jose kayaked us back to starting point after a "run." And the best treat was Bibi, who joined us on the lesson - Lusi' daughter of 7 or 8> She was totally funny and delightful and naughty and fun. Great time. I wish we had more time to return to the next level. Thank you Luis!!

Reviewed July 4, 2013

we guess there are not many surf instructors who tell their customers to wake them up at 7 in the morning to go surfing. escuela del mar made us staying longer than we wanted. the teachers are professional and meet the needs of their customers. we spent some really good and fun times out in the water!!!!!!!!!!!! =)

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Using my boyfriends account to write this....

I've been trying to surf on and off for years mostly in Southern California where most waves were 3-4 feet which were scary. I took lessons a few times only for them to push me into waves and not much else.

We went to Bocas Del Toro and booked 3 lessons with Escuela Del Mar. I finally learned how to surf. The team was super friendly and very knowledgable about Bocas. Not only did we get tips on surfing but also where to surf, where to eat, where to stay, transportation etc.

They had the right set up for the lesson. They took us to the perfect spot, Black Rock where there is a channel. You don't have to get pounded to get past the break. One guy, Manuel (awesome guy), swims in the water with fins waiting for the perfect wave. He tells you about it and what you are seeing so you know where to place yourself and gives you the extra push. We got up almost every time. If you get too tired Josesito will pull you back in with the Kayak so you can save your energy and surf more. Super awesome team!

By the third lesson, I barely had to be pushed and was told what I was doing right and what I was doing wrong. After the lessons when I went to surf by myself I could stand up and catch the wave almost every time and these were 5-8 feet, definitely scary but I felt more confident.

The owner, Luis is ultra cool and so helpful. He even helped us set up transportation in Panama City with a guided tour of the Panama Canal which saved us from being ripped off like our friends. He and his wife run a great restaurant Bibi's with the best ceviche and pina colodas which are sooo refreshing after good day of surfing.

We saw other schools out there and no one was as attentive, had the set up, or gave the guidance like Esceula Del Mar!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Scott at Red Frog Bungalows recommended EdM to us, and set us up with a lesson. Manuel was very patient, and handled our large class of mostly first-timers very well!