“Great Hosts!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Carenero Island
Quepos, Costa Rica
“Great Hosts!”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

The owners of Hotel Oasis are amazing people. My wife and I showed up a day late for our reservation because we had both been sick and too weak to travel the day before. We were worried they would be upset but instead showed so much care and concern for us that we immediately felt at home. Both Maria and Jose take great pride in their place and are the kind of people you would want to be friends with.

Our room was nice. It had just been renovated with new paint and decorations. The A/C worked great and it was nice and quiet in the hotel. The location is perfect for those who want to explore other islands too. It's a short boat taxi ride to Isla Colon, Bastiamentos, etc.

Maria was especially helpful when we arrived, helping us plan our day to Starfish Beach by showing us pictures, giving directions for the bus etc. Jose had a boat taxi waiting for us the next day when we needed to catch our flight back to Costa Rica. Overall- A great stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jose R, Gerente at Hotel Oasis, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your comment.
We're never going to bother a customer does not arrive on the date agreed by the problem you have. We're here for you we have a good time and enjoy your holiday with us.
Hope to see you soon
regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Finnish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed November 27, 2013

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Panama visiting Panama city, Boquette and Bocas Del Toros (or just Bocas). While in Bocas we stayed at Hotel Oasis and from the start we felt right at home.We took a water taxi from the main land and upon arriving we were greeted with a smile and by not only the family that runs the place, but the other guest as well. Jose (the owner) and his family keep the place friendly and laid back, just the way they like their customers to be. During our stay we made life long friends and through Josue or Joshua, the tour captain the hotel prefers, my wife and I got to see the true beauty of Bocas. Some trips to go on is the dolphin cove, snorkeling, a visit to a deserted island beach and more. The main island is just a short trip away by boat and I am thankful we stayed at Oasis as the town seemed to be loud at night in some spots, especially near the main tourist streets. If your young and looking to get drunk and party, then this area might be for you. If on the other hand you want to relax and still have a good time, go to Oasis.

The hotel itself has a bar / lounge area that is only for guest and looking out on the water. There are hammocks you can lounge in or even a table and chairs setup on the docks. Jose provides a very restful atmosphere where you can just unwind. I found myself relaxing on a hammock and drinking cold while watching the sunset most afternoons, which is an amazing view. The rooms are cozy and very nice considering the area. If your looking for a Marriott, you won't find it in Bocas, where A/C in most places is a blessing. The rooms here have a cold A/C, hot water showers, a balcony overlooking the ocean in most cases, TV and its clean. The beds can be a little hard and the pillows aren't the best, but once again considering where the hotel is located and all the other features, this is a minor inconvenience, in the end your there for the experience. Lastly as security is an issue in many overseas locals, the Oasis is very secure. While I didn't notice any crime during my stay, I felt very safe because of the security features in place, from new camera watching entrances and exits, to the manner the doors were secure I never felt at risk, and this is saying a lot from a security professional of over 15 years.

I've been to many hotels around the world on travel for business and pleasure, but what makes this place one of the most memorable is Jose and his family. From the moment we arrived, until we left, I felt more like I was staying with an old friend, then just some hotel. Jose is a man who truly makes his guest feel at home. The memories of rooms and excursions come and go, but its that rare gem of hospitality and feeling of welcome that I will always remember most about my entire trip to Panama at Hotel Oasis.

If you go to Bocas, make Hotel Oasis your choice of places to stay, you won' regret it.

Room Tip: Let Jose know if your trip is for a special occasion.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jose R, Gerente at Hotel Oasis, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Thank you very much for the time you need to write the review.
It has been a pleasure to serve you and hope the rest of your trip was enjoyable.
I also hope to see you soon.
Seattle, WA
Reviewed October 31, 2013

If you travel to Bocas del Toro, you MUST stay at Hotel Oasis. First location - we loved staying on Carenero Island - truly cannot say enough about location. When researching for a place, we were skeptical about not staying directly in Bocas, but let me tell you - a) we loved being in a quieter location at night, b) it is incredibly easy to get from Bocas to the hotel, at any time of day, for super cheap (literally a 1 minute water taxi) and c) Hotel Oasis is directly on the water, with beautiful views of the sea and Bocas proper. Really - we went to Bocas most every night we were there (sometimes LATE) and loved being able to retreat back to our hotel at the end of the night. Next, the hotel is awesome, clean, well-kempt, the rooms are nice (especially the ones with a patio on the water) and the OWNERS ARE WONDERFUL - seriously, Jose and Maria gave us the BEST advice on what to do in the area and it was fun getting to know them.

When you arrive to Hotel Oasis, I recommend getting a beer, sitting on the deck and enjoying the view. Have fun!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Cait M
Jose R, Gerente at Hotel Oasis, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Hello friends, thank you very much for your comment. It was a pleasure serving you and I'm glad you've been comfortable at our hotel. I hope your return trip enjoyable and also hope to see you soon.
A hug
Bergschenhoek, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed here for three nights. We had a great stay here, José and Maira are great hosts. Jose immdiatly showed us his personal pictures of the nice locations around bocas, and joined us for a beautiful trip around the islands. I agree with the other review that the rooms are in need of an upgrade. Great location on one of the more quiet islands. We walked across the island a few times in for dinner, which is a very nice walk in daylight. We returned by boat as it becomes really dark at night. Overall a great hotel to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rene P
Jose R, Gerente at Hotel Oasis, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments, I am glad that you liked our little hotel, we are gradually repairing our rooms with new paint.
I hope you have a good trip back home.
A big hug friends
Big Bear Lake, California
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was the most unique and relaxing place I stayed on my Costa Rica/Panama trip. I could sit in the common areas for hours on end and feel so content. I guess part of that is the feeling of being practically surrounded by water. The owners went above and beyond in providing personalized service and are just very nice people. Food is good (although it would have been nice to have some fruit at breakfast) and the room was fine. Very inexpensive to have laundry done. Super quick to take a $1 boat taxi to the main island and many good restaurants, but the one on this island was really good too (Bibi's on the Beach). It does rain there a lot, so be prepared. Josh was an excellent tour guide and went with him to Dolphin Bay (where there were many dolphins) and Red Frog Beach, which was beautiful.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Elysium816
Jose R, Gerente at Hotel Oasis, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. You are a person who travels a lot and therefore we are very happy that you feel good in our modest hotel.
A big hug and hope to see you around here.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I agree with the reviews that the owners are very nice. However, the hotel is in need of upgrades. Our four people room was small, dark and with a small window facing waste containers. Based on satellite images we expected being able to walk on Carenero island but the place was locked up and we were discouraged from walking. Only way out is by boat. Finally, the owners smoke cigarettes and allow people to smoke in the common area around the bar - it stinks cigarettes everywhere unfortunately. Sorry to say, but I would not recommend the place to families. It is OK for lone smoking people on a budget.

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank CezaryWojcik
Jose R, Gerente at Hotel Oasis, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments, we are improving day by day our work and our constant attention to our clients, advising them on all issues pertaining to the area. We also try to have the least possible bans for our clients, within the law, but warmly serve all requirements and resolve immediately. We try to make happy, to all customers by different they can be.
Thank you very much for your stay.
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I had an amazing experience at Hotel Oasis. I stayed for 11 days and José and Maira are amazing hosts and really make you feel like you´re part of a family. The rooms are clean, there is great air-conditioning, hot water and wi-fi. I chose to stay here because it´s away from the bustle and partying of Isla Colón, but if that´s what you want, it´s just a minute a way by water taxi. They also have a great guide, Joshua, that works with them and offers the best tours on the island. I highly recommend this hotel.

Tuve una experiencia excelente en el Hotel Oasis. Me quedé por once días y José y Maria son unos anfitriones excelentes que te hacen sentir como estuvieras parte de una familia. Las habitaciones son limpias, hay buen aire acondicionado, agua caliente y wi fi. Decidí quedarme aquí porque está alejado del ambiente de fiesta de la Isla Colón, pero si esto es lo que quieres, está a sólo un minuto en taxi. Además tienen un guía, Joshua, que trabaja con ellos y ofrece los mejores tours de la isla.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank brooke w
Jose R, Gerente at Hotel Oasis, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments, and we miss you. It was very nice to serve you and hope you have a nice trip back home.
People like you inspire us to keep working harder.
A kiss and a big hug
Posada Isla Chica
Posada Isla Chica
#6 of 13 in Bocas Town
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos

Been to Hotel Oasis? Share your experiences!