“Fantastic stay at Exchange Cottage!!”
other travelers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Donna W
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
“Fantastic stay at Exchange Cottage!!”
Reviewed September 8, 2017 for a stay in September 2017

We enjoyed a lovely family break at Exchange Cottage . The Cottage is lovely and cosy,great fenced garden , private parking space , fantastic location .The pretty Village of Warkworth is on the doorstep .Very dog friendly pubs , lots of walks from the door . The beautiful beach is in walking distance .John at Cosy Retreats is very professional and helpful . We enjoyed it so much that we are already planning a return visit next year .

Sep 10, 2017
Thanks for the kind words Donna, so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! You're welcome again anytime :) John, cosy-retreats.com
MichelleH...
“Disappointed”
Reviewed September 1, 2017 for a stay in August 2017
people found this review helpful

Warkworth village is stunning,the amenities are fantastic! Masons Arms a must visit for fabulous food, friendly staff,a lovely traditional english pub. Warkworth beach is only 15mins walk away,clean sand,beautiful sea, a little piece of heaven. Unfortunately I am not as enthusiastic about Exchange Cottage. First impressions count,the front door is peeling and tatty (needs sanding/painting) all of the windows are unsafe, not secure, a burglars paradise. You aren't allowed to check in until 4pm due to housekeeping/cleaning, it was very evident that this hadn't been done (dust, cobwebs) We weren't told NOT to use the oven, there was a fault with the element which tripped the whole electricity supply.
Mattresses need replacing too soft/hard. All in all the photographs used to promote the cottage are outdated/edited to show it in a better light than what it actually is....

Sep 8, 2017
So sorry you didn't enjoy your stay in our cottage Michelle. You're quite right about the front door and the paintwork on the window frames - it's very shabby indeed. The windows and doors will all be fully replaced in a few weeks time, which we're really exited about as we're always looking to improve the cottage as much as we can as and when funds allow. However, stating that our cottage is a burglars' paradise is outrageous. We've had a total of zero burglaries at Exchange Cottage and long may that continue...your comments are not only unwelcome and untrue, they are libellous.

I'm sorry you found some dust, cobwebs etc...that should never be the case and is something we can rectify right away. But little evidence that any cleaning had been done? Really?

I'm delighted to say the oven is now fixed, which solves the mystery of the fuse tripping.

Matresses will always divide opinion, as some people prefer them firm and others like them a little softer...and as you said they were "too soft/hard", I'm not entirely certain what your complaint is.

Finally, our photographs are not particualrly outdated and they are most certainly not edited. They were shot in late 2015 and I would say the only major difference between then and now is that we've replaced the sofas inside and all the iron guttering/down pipes and rotten wooden fascias outside - other than that, it's exactly as it was.

Thanks again for the feedback. John, cosy-retreats.com
malder75
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Relaxing family stay in a well maintained cottage. When can we come back???”
Reviewed July 16, 2017 for a stay in June 2017
people found this review helpful

I'm not one for normally writing reviews. A few words in a guest book is normally my limit but after our stay at Exchange Cottage I felt I had to pass on our experience to others looking for somewhere to stay in Northumberland.

We have holidayed in many cottages in Northumberland over the last few years with our 2 young children (and the two dog). I have to say that Exchange Cottage has been our favourite to date.

The weather wasn't kind to us on our visit and we had three days of being confined to the cottage due to the rain. Thank goodness the cottage is so spacious giving the kids room to play. In between the showers, the enclosed well maintained garden was a god-send allowing us to let the kids and the dogs run around outside, content in the knowledge that they were safe.

When the weather did allow us to venture further afield, we explored the town itself, which has many family (and dog) friendly places to visit, eat and drink. In particular the food at the Mason's Arms was outstanding! We also explored the local area and were delighted with how much there was to do within walking distance. The last thing I want to do on a holiday is have to drive every day!

The Cottage itself was perfect. Immaculately clean on arrival - it's the first cottage we have visited where my wife hasn't decided to clean the kitchen, oven and sink before using them! Bedrooms were cosy with comfy beds and a very handy ensuite (ideal to have 2 bathrooms when you have little ones!). With having young children we spent most of our evenings in the cottage and can testify that the sofas are extremely comfortable, so much so that an afternoon nap on them became a regular occurrence.

All in all, a fantastically well maintained cottage with everything you could possibly need to enjoy a relaxing holiday in a lovely part of the country. Looking forward to re-booking for the Autumn or early Spring!

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Jul 19, 2017
So pleased you enjoyed your stay and thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. I knew those new sofas would be a hit! John, cosy-retreats.com
Sally M
“What a great find!”
Reviewed July 13, 2017 for a stay in June 2017
people found this review helpful

We've had a fabulous stay at Exchange Cottage and couldn't have asked for a more perfect base for exploring the beautiful Northumberland coast.

The bungalow style accommodation and fenced garden provided a hassle free and safe environment for our energetic 18 month old!

The cottage was equipped with everything we needed for our stay. However if you decided to eat out, a short walk takes you to the local village where there is a great choice of eateries pretty much on your doorstep.

Thank you Cosy Retreats for looking after us so well. We will definitely return!

Jul 19, 2017
Sally, you're very welcome and do come and see us again soon! Very kind of you to leave such lovely feedback and we're delighted you enjoyed your stay :) John, cosy-retreats.com
Porschegi...
“Great location”
Reviewed July 10, 2017 for a stay in June 2017
people found this review helpful

Nice and spacious -everything you need in a well equipped kitchen .... well located to see all the sights and a stone throw way from the river /sea

Jul 19, 2017
Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback...really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope you can come again soon! John, cosy-retreats.com
OliverCyp...
North East England, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed April 17, 2017 for a stay in February 2017
people found this review helpful

I was nor going to write a review but after reading the last review I am incensed as we were the last people staying in the cottage prior to them and we did not leave it in a mess as was inferred. There was an issue with the kitchen tap which was very stiff but it was stiff on our arrival. The cottage needs many improvements,certainly painting,especially the door which does not give a good first impression. On our arrival. the cooker was very dirty and was setting off the smoke alarm every time we turned it on so I went out to buy oven cleaner and scrubbed it clean. I also bought the bags for the hoover as there were none available and it had been left full. The settees were especially uncomfortable as a previous review stated so were definitely not down to us. The showers are very low pressure and also the heating needed maintenance which we were told would be done but was not in the 8 weeks we were there and we had to periodically check it and sort out the leak as shown by the owner. Bed linen needs renewing and the towels are too small. The bed is not comfortable and I believe that it requires a new mattress.The very dirty oven tray was not down to us and indeed had never been used by us. We did think of throwing it out but did not think we should. The hoover was not easy to use on the carpet and I used to get down on my hands and knees to clean it. We were staying in the property whilst searching for our permanent home and although we had actually booked and paid for 8 weeks we actually left a week early so the owner had plenty of time to do soneme basic maintenance issues. In my opinion the owner is a very nice guy but is leaving too much to his cleaners who I feel are letting him down and not reporting issues - they must surely have noticed the tap in the kitchen whilst cleaning? The grassed lawn required cutting but was not done and to be honest we could have raised many issues but did not want to be seen as complaining. On a posirive note the cotrage is in an ideal location ans could be so much better wirh better maintenance and updating.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Apr 19, 2017
Shelagh, thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. I think people would find your comments more credible if you hadn’t waited all this time to make them.

To set the record straight…the guests that followed you were simply making a positive remark about the swiftness with which we dealt with some issues that were left after your stay. Whether you like it or not, it is a simple fact that you could have told us about the kitchen bin that you broke, the stiff kitchen tap and the bulbs that had gone. What I said to the guests was, that if I’d known about these issues, I could and would have had them rectified in time for the beginning of their stay.

You are spot on about a couple of issues that need addressing – the exterior paintwork will all be done at the end of this summer and the sofas have become uncomfortable and they will be replaced in the next couple of weeks.

Regarding the rest of your remarks, you most certainly did not have to ‘sort out the leak’ on the central heating system – I simply showed you how to re-pressurise the system by turning a tap, as the pressure falls below where it should be from time to time…I'm sure most people would find that helpful. The tap, the oven, the bed linen and the vacuum bags are all things you could have told me about and I could have sorted them for you right away, instead of waiting eleven weeks to moan about them on Trip Advisor.

Mattresses are a matter of taste and this one certainly does not need replacing…as are vacuum cleaners, and I'm certain there are enough people out there using ‘Henry’ that would testify that they're pretty good. The same vacuum cleaner has the rug looking beautifully clean at the start of everyone’s stay. No one asked you to get on your hands and knees and clean the rug! As for the towels – you had eight bath towels and eight hand towels between two of you – I'm sure the sizes are quite standard. As for the lawn – it is not advisable to cut grass in the winter, unless it happens to be unseasonably warm, which it wasn't.

Our cottage is not perfect by any stretch but it has hosted many a happy time away for families, couples and individuals over the years. It’s not a show home and it never will be, it gets used…and I would rather have it that way. We’re very fortunate that we have a lot of lovely guests who are very kind to point out things that are broken or that need doing and, where possible, we sort these things out for them right away so it doesn’t impact on their holiday.

Thanks again for taking the time to leave feedback.

Regards, John. cosy-retreats.com
Liz D
“Lovely cottage in the shadow of Warkworth Castle”
Reviewed April 16, 2017 for a stay in April 2017
people found this review helpful

This is our second stay at Exchange Cottage in Warkworth, we spent a week this time. The cottage had everything we needed to make our stay comfortable. There were a few issues upon arrival that the previous guests had left in an unsatisfactory way, but after a call to John these issues were quickly rectified. The cottage is clean and well equipped, the location is perfect. We visited most of the eating establishments in Warkworth and we're not disappointed with Bertrams being our favourite for huge portions of homemade cake! Great location to tour up and down the coast, spoilt for choice with dog friendly beaches. My only recommendations for the cottage would be to update the showers as they are not powerful and a link of paint to the front door!

May 5, 2017
Liz thanks for taking the time to leave feedback! I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay. That's a fair point about the showers...maybe a power shower is needed! As for the front door - yes, you're totally right and all the external woodwork will be painted towards the end of Summer 2017. We've just replaced the old sofas too and as you've kindly booked again for October - hopefully you'll see the difference! Best wishes, John, cosy-retreats.com
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing