“A Friendly Village Pub with Grub”
Review of Hermitage Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hermitage Inn
Ranked #9 of 11 Warkworth B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We were staying only for one night in the beautiful village of Warkworth plus castle. We had just returned from seeing the light show at Alnwick Gardens earlier in the evening, so arrived at the Inn without booking. The eating area was full or had reserved tables, so we bought drinks and waited for a table. The restaurant was very helpful and a table became available before we had finished our first drink. I ordered the special fish pie and my wife the Bass fishcakes. The meal was fine, perhaps a tad overpriced at £10 each, but acceptable and adequate. The choice available was good with a blackboard full of 'specials'. The pub was quite busy and the atmosphere was good with a lot of locals plus a roaring wood fire. We enjoyed the experience and would go back again. A good fueling station without pretensions.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cussie67

Reviewed November 11, 2011

Visited the Hermitage for a Sunday lunch, taking my elderly Mum with us.

Okay, the place was busy but we HAD booked in advance and had requested a table away from the bar area. Despite this we were shown to a table where? - you guessed it - in the corner of the bar! Apparently all of the other tables had been taken and our 'reservation' had not been noted.

Apart from being pushed into the corner, the table was also en-route to the servery, so everyone pushed past us and, as the bar was very busy with lunch-time drinkers, the lunch-takers had to push against us to get past.

The drinkers also decided that 'our' corner was where they wanted to be and my husband had to request of several of them that they didn't stand over us, literally at our elbows whilst we ate. We were just so pleased that the no-smoking ban was in force!

When we visited the serving area of the carvery the woman (not a lady) in front of me picked up two different yorkshire puddings one by one, with her FINGERS, took a good look at each of them then decided to put them back onto the serving plate for someone else to 'enjoy'! Lovely!!! I told the staff member who was there but she didn't seem at all concerned and neglected to remove the said puddings.

Not feeling confident in the state of the rest of the puddings we decided to forgo that 'pleasure' and we also waited for fresh vegetables to arrive as the selection on display looked barely lukewarm.

Sorry folks - the food that we had tasted okay but this was an experience that we are not likely to repeat. This eatery definitely needs sorting out - and quickly!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We were staying in Warkworth over night and decided to eat in The Hermitage even though I had read a number of negative reviews. I was a little undecided on what meal to choose but whilst looking at the menu the waitress passed taking meals to a nearby table and the aroma of the chicken curry was irresistable. My other half plumbed for the rabbit pie. Our meals arrived piping hot and were delivered by a very friendly waitress. The chicken curry was served with both rice and home made chips and was very tasty too. My husband said the rabbit pie was good but would have preferred a short pastry crust (like his gran used to make) instead of the puff pastry lid. As the portions were very generous we didn't have room for a dessert. We did notice not only locals at the bar but dining also which says alot too. Music was playing in the background but to be honest the tracks playing would have been my choice at home and it was this that kept us there for a couple of hours! Friday evening The Hermitage has a live singer and it was also a pleasure to listen to the voice of Dixie and enjoy watching another visitor and the manager do a few jives on the dance floor. All in all an enjoyable evening with some good banter thrown in too.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I visited the Hermitage for the second time with my family a little while ago. On my first visit the food was lovely, the steak being one of the best I've ever tasted. On my second visit the food was once again very nice however the attitude of some of the staff leaves a lot to be desired. We visited late afternoon and were told there were no tables available to eat, yet when we left there were many still available. The barman is miserable and down right rude. However the waitress was lovely. This is a lovely pub serving lovely food but the attitude of some of the staff is enough to stop you from returning

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stopped here for a late lunch. Our first choice had been a nearby tea room but they'd pretty much shut up shop, so we looked across the road, saw the menu boards and decided to give it a try.
The Hermitage is a large pub in a small Northumberland town.The appearance is nothing special, half timbered ouside, a large open space inside, with lots of interesting beams in the ceiling to show that it has been changed quite a bit over the years. There's a large dining area to the rear but we had our meal in the bar area so didn't investigate that part.
The staff were welcoming and the beer well kept. There is a large menu. plus several specials. There were three of us, we all had different dishes and everything was well cooked and presented. Main dishes are generally under £10 and sweets under £4. Good sized portions and good value.
My wife has a couple of food allergies and the waitress was happy to go and find out detailed contents of meals for her.
We went to Warkworth with my mother-in-law, a lady with very firm views on quality of food and service. She actually said she'd quite like to go back there.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I write about he meals, not the hotel although first impressions of the access to the rooms from the bar would put me off.
It looks like a pub that does meals and on that score it succeeds. The bar is tatty and the collapse of the long seat against the wall is only temporarily disguised by the abundance of cushions.
I have eaten here in the distant past and recommended it to others, but not now.
The service was 'OK', but it wasn't busy. The menu is extensive and promises much. My rabbit pie sounded great, but was in a small pot (which I hate) and had more black pudding than rabbit. This was made up for by a lot of underdone, microwaved dry vegetables, with no extra gravy. My wife's liver and onions was on the other hand swimming in gravy, with more undercooked vegetables and lumpy potato.
What with the ear splitting music from a speaker directly above us and the absence of strawberries from the advertised sweet menu. We were glad to leave.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stjamespark
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Recently celebrated a 90th birthday with a family meal in the restaraunt at the Hermitage Inn. Service was excellent, all the meals for adults and children alike, as always were of a very high standard and served with a smile. The management and staff made this a very special day to which our family can only extend their sincere gratitude thanks to them all.
I would thoroughly recommend a visit to this historic and friendly Northumberland coaching house to anyone whilst in the Warkworth area.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family