“quick and not cheerful”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Well, this was a first, having arrived for Sunday lunch at our pre-booked time, we were finished, paid and out within 40 minutes. No sooner had we placed our order the food was rolled out. I mean as quick as a flash in a pan! We had NO time to sit and fully digest our meal before the next course was brought out. When the food did arrive it was in places over cooked and considerably bland in taste.My starter of soup was advertised on the menu as being served with warm crusty bread. What I got was a small cold roll. As it was a Sunday roast we had ordered you would be forgiven for thinking you would get a roast potato on your plate! The potatoes were cremated and tough as leather, they seemed to be miniature baked potatoes in their skins and not roasted. We decided enough was enough, nobody bothered to even ask us during our meal whether everything was ok so from that I can take it that they just didn't care. When we were given our bill we were asked if we would be paying by card and when my wife replied to the positive she was practically frog marched to the reception desk to pay as they didn't have any portable card reader machines. We will never eat here again!!!

1  Thank smokeyrolo

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I had fish and chips and my partner had the pumpkin pasta. Mine was good, the fish was huge and the portion of chips wasn't quite as big to match the fish. Nice chips though. Fish was cooked well and was fresh. Weirdly it was much better once I'd cut it up - think I might like to be in charge of how much fish and batter I have together or something. Salad was unnecessary for me, but my partner would have liked one with her pasta, which she ate quickly so it must have been good. Had to wait about 25 min for our main. The waiter did say that the pasta took a while so we didn't mind this - just did the crossword in the wait. Another review said that the pasta had been undercooked so maybe the restaurant were responding to that by making sure the pasta was done well which it was (still al dente thank god).

The room was incredibly quiet - we were in the back room - kind of an extension - which also got quite gloomy later on. I study acoustics so I know about how sound works in rooms, and basically because there were so many soft furnishings all of the sound in the room got absorbed really quickly, which meant that there was a hushed kind of atmosphere and you could easily hear everyone's conversations. We both didn't like this, especially seeming as there were two women who had the fish and chips who complained because the batter was 'very light coloured'. They thought the fish tasted great but wondered if it was definitely cooked. The waiter patiently explained that the batter had just been changed which meant that the colouration was a little lacking in the batter - at least for a few days. She offered to take it and have it cooked for longer, which they declined. After she'd gone they then moaned about how she'd offered to have it cooked longer. Honestly, there was nothing wrong with their meal at all, but the waiter came back later and said she'd give them one of their mains for free. We left at this point but they probably found some fault with this too. Some people!

So basically it would've been good if the situation with the sound in the room was such that we didn't have to listen to this whole thing unfold - it's kind of hard to ignore other people's conversations I find - unless you're just a really loud person yourself, which we aren't.

Curiously my fish and chips was £9 and my partner's veggie pasta was £12. This seemed very steep for a veggie pasta dish - these are usually about £8 in other restaurants. If the pasta was made fresh or something then maybe the restaurant should make a bit of a thing about it so people don't feel ripped off.

There seem to be quite a few great restaurants up in Alnmouth so we're probably going to go up there for our two remaining nights (unless we're too lazy), but if we're ever back in Warkworth we'd definitely come back to this place.

1  Thank pitchtwit
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Really lovely and charming hostess and the girl serving the tables was really sweet. Admittedly it was a Sunday night but the place totally lacked atmosphere. It looks like it has had a refurbishment in the last 5 years or so but the decor doesn't really work, no style and poorly painted. The pub was far better, much cosier.
The food overall was very good, able to cater to dietary requirements but some of our veg- the sugarsnap peas were totally overcooked. On someone else's recommendation my husband had the lamb shank which was very good. The honey and guinness pork was also very good.
If you're not expecting anything high class it's fine.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stopped in Warkworth on the off chance looking for somewhere to eat, and the menu here looked appealing.

We are both veggies, and the availability of three main meals which were outside the usual standards was ideal.

I think we were lucky to get a table and suspect at weekends it is better to book in advance.

We were guided to the bar and received a very friendly welcome.

To start with, I had a Cream of Cauliflower soup. It was really tasty, with just the right amount of seasoning. It came with two fresh bread rolls, that were very soft and just right to go with the soup.

For my main, I had a beetroot and bean gratin. It was certainly different and I did quite enjoy it, but it was more of a shepherds pie approach than a gratin, and I think it was pickled beetroot rather than fresh. There was a side salad that came with a mustard dressing. Interestingly it was with english mustard, which much as I like, was a bit sharp and overpowering for the salad and didn't work for me.

My partner had a pumpkin ravioli in a tomato and pesto sauce. Again, this was nice but not a huge portion, and the pasta was a little tough in places and for the price it didn't seem great value.

The waiter and waitresses were polite and attentive.

Overall, a nice meal and a pleasant environment to eat in, but possibly paid a bit more for it than I would have liked. That said, to call this 'average' would have been unfair.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

The bar had no draught beer, it had run out????.Lady at front of house was pleasant but it seemed an effort for her to speak to the customers.
My husband chose 3 different draught beers but was told they were all off and asked would he have a bottle of beer? (This was at 20:00 on a Friday evening)
We were then asked to place our order, my husband ordered cod & chips only to be told sorry we do not have any cod left. (Why not tell us when we were given the menu?)
The food we finally chose was excellent, although service was very strained.