“Poor fish”
Review of L’ Aquarium - CLOSED

L’ Aquarium
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

As soon as you walk in they push you to take a picture with a fake shark even if you don't want to take it, if you like it you buy it if not not. Inside i felt bad for the poor fish, they have very old and small tanks. In some of them they are too many fish for that space. The poor penguins they have such a bad habitat, many of the big fish they cannot fit in their tanks. I would not recommend this place it's and old place and they really need to do some changes for the poor things living there.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

The L’Aquarium restaurant is under new management, from the 1st July I was told there would be new management taking over, so having eaten there before and knowing it was not great before I hoped it would have been an improvement, unfortunately not, gone are the uniforms for the staff, along with the nice colorful table settings that were there before, now uniform seems to be a free for all and anything goes.
The menu is now quite extensive with a strong French accent, we choose to have Crepes on the day, when they arrived, they were more reminiscent of pancakes rather than my experience of thin crepes from St Malo in France, somewhat stogy in texture for the crepe, nice ham and cheese with good flavor, a half torn lettuce leaf as the salad, so how good was it? For an overall rating I’d say 4/10
My past life as a restaurant owner would not have permitted me to use any of the tableware that was given to us as I have always known that to use plates and dishes with crack and chips is extremely unhygienic to say the least and every corner of each plate was chipped and cracked, as for the sauce dish that was beyond further comment. And what was more shocking, the fact that they had no salt or pepper on the tables and when we asked the waitress hunted around for 5 minutes before bringing us some shakers that looked like they had been in the cupboard for the last 10 years!
Down to the drinks, I ordered a Margarita, when it arrived I was rather amused to find it being served in a Pilsner lager glass, over all I understand the new owner has been telling people that he will be the best restaurant in Union Island, well there is a very long way for him to go before he get there. My wife was also disappointed with her drink, they used to stock a nice Rose wine by the glass instead this time only red or white were available. Her choice, a glass of sauvignon white which tasted more like white wine vinegar.
We will go back in August, hopefully by that time things will have made a dramatic improvement, just don’t rush there at the moment.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

My wife and I did an island hopping adventure of the Grenadines and both agree that L'Aquarium restauant (which is inside the Bougainvilla Hotel...so any reviews on the Bougainvilla hotel restaurant are the same as L'Aqaurium) was one of the best meals we had on the trip...up there or better then many of the great Bequia restaurants. My wife had a curry chicken dish and I had some sort of ginger/lime fish..I think it was Mahi-Mahi. I posted pictures of both. The setting and service were great as well. We have heard the pizzes here are also very good. Definitely one of the top spots on Union for dinner.
(Please note the picture of L'Aquarium with a round building and blue writing listed as the cover is not correct..it must be some other palce as nothing at the restaurant or hotel resembles that picture)

Reviewed January 23, 2014

We dived in the Grenadines and stayed on Union Island for a week---we sampled the cuisine at most venues---and we voted unanimously on L'Aquarium as our favorite on Union Island. The cuisine is delicious, fresh and light (yet filling)--the wine selection is quite good for a small place and the ambiance is charming--french colonial country. We sampled the the salad with grilled snapper, the conch fritters and the lobster pasta--all were delicious! We returned for lunch after diving a few days later and had pizza and the house salad--both were top rate. The "normal" size pizza was quite large and filling for two people, but it was so good we didnt leave a crumb---very tasty! And, if the restaurant has avocado (good to ask before ordering) the house salad is also a delcious and substantial starter. If no avocado, its still good, but not anything particularly special. The staff is friendly but not overly so....and like many island venues, there is quite a wait for your meal, especially if the restaurant is crowded, which is often is. All and all, the best food on Union Island (yes, even better than the less pricey Big Citi Grill, which is good, but not great and lacks ambiance).

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The large aquarium in the restaurant is what attracted us to go into the restaurant. We were greeted by friendly faces. We asked to see their menu before deciding to eat there. They explained that because it was their slow season, they didn't have their full menu available. They showed us several chalkboards that had listings and descriptions of their meals. The employee was friendly and definitely wanted us to stay to eat there. She spoke English, but had a strong French accent. We decided to try it out and were not disappointed with our decision. Three of us got seafood and two had pizza. Everyone enjoyed their meals a lot. We enjoyed ice cream for dessert. It was pretty pricey, but made for a fun, enjoyable and tasty meal.