“It was great”

Ranked #5 of 19 Restaurants in Union Island
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Anchorage Yacht Club has opened again with new management, new staff and a new bar/restaurant menu. It is probably the only bar in the world where you can enjoy a drink safely while being circled by sharks!
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Linn thank you )))
Beautiful place, great food, awesome people ))) stunning sea views, and a good wind for kite!!! It was fab vacation!!!! I want go back

Reviewed June 17, 2013

As a solo 68 year old island hopping in the Grenadines I stayed at the Anchorage for 2 nights.Linn made me feel really welcome and the room over the bar was spotless and had been refurbished and looked good and was absolutely spotless.I was a bit worried it would be noisy late at night but the bar shut about 10.30ish so it was quiet .I think there were other bars still open in the town 5 minutes away.The kite surfing looked amazing , I would have had a go if I had been younger! I ate dinner in the restaurant which was really nice and the other guests were friendly.I loved the island and it was easy to walk across to nice beaches.It's a must to go to Tobago cays on a day trip which is why I went to Union. The Cays are like paradise! If I went back to Union I would choose The Anchorage.The only thing I hated where the poor sharks kept in a shallow pool, Linn should think again about these being a plus attraction for the restaurant as other people also were upset about these poor creatures , let them go Linn!!

Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I booked a vacation at Union Island with no major expectations. We had a blast! Kiting was awesome! Every day was a different experience. Food and people were great. Besides kiteboarding, we did SUP, and, toured different islands by the taxi boats...Linn and Jeremy did a fantastic job in making sure we had the best experience possible during our stay.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I stayed here for 8 wonderful days for the purpose of kitesurfing. Rooms were basic, but more than enough considering the very remote / exotic location. I was solo and joined others every night for dinner and found the other folks very social and the atmosphere very welcoming. As groups, we ventured out to try some other restaurants, but the hotel restaurant was one of the top restaurants around. Tasty and priced within reach. I can't comment on the bar scene, went to bed to early to judge.

All staff were always very positive, upbeat, and flexible. Linn and JT went out of their way multiple times for some special needs / requests of mine (British Airways lost 2 pieces of luggage in London, one for 3 and another for 5 days). I rode demo gear or borrowed kites, cloths, and glasses, from other guests - thank you all !! way to save my holiday.

The hotel kite beach was iconic and I had my best sessions ever. I kited 4 hrs a day (as much as I could), on all but one day when I just needed a break. There were as many spots and downwinder options within reach on a given day that one is not stuck in monotony. There are tons of other watersports and tourist things to do as well, but I made only one non-kite outing. The hotel really extends itself to kiter guests, however I don't think we were the majority. I would say it is a beautiful place to learn to kite (instructors and gear readily available), but an even better place to be an intermediate or higher since you can really take advantage of being in such a special, absolutely beautiful, hard-to-find location. It was my best destination kiting trip in my 10 years kiting based on those values.

Atmosphere on the island and hotel were exactly what I'd been looking for and I plan on going back soon. My tips for other guests:
-stay over the full moon party
-wear surf shorts for the plane ride there so if your luggage doesn't make it, at least you can kite in your own threads
-bring your best / newest kites - it is a remote place; one guys chicken loop broke at another site and he lost at least 2 days of kiting - the day it broke, and the day he repaired it and it broke again
-bring an older board - low tide launch/land area at kite beach is a little crunchy and you may scratch your board / fins if you're not careful
-there are some mosquitos, but not enough to make it worth passing on this location

1  Thank storm d
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We did not stay at Anchorage, but spend most of our time there during our trip to the Grenadines. We ate at the restaurant several times, and the food was very good with reasonable prices. Linn, the manager, was awesome. She went out of her way to make sure the highest quality of service was delivered. Anything you need, Linn will take care of it. Barry, the bartender, makes the best rum punches on the island. We enjoyed many of his punches, and wish we could get them back in the States. Everyone working at the hotel and restaurant were extremely friendly. We checked out the rooms while we were there, and they were very nice. Next time we are on the island, we will be staying in their beach cottage rooms. The location and environment can’t be beat. We spend most of our time kitesurfing with the JT kitesurfing shop. Highly recommended spot for kitesurfing.