“We'll be back”

Palm Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Union Island
Reviewed November 7, 2010

We don’t usually stay at any one holiday location for more than a week: but thought we’d give it a go on Palm Island.
Getting there is interesting, with an island-hopping flight that eventually reaches Union Island, and then there’s a very short boat trip to Palm. One of the first things we noticed was that the island is actually larger than we thought: it’s a pleasant walk around it, along totally empty beaches and with small hills that are great for taking photos.
Our room was in a block of four, set back a small distance from the sea. It was comfortably large. The room had a huge bed and a comfortable lounge area, plus a small kitchen corner with a fridge and all the basics. The bathroom was also very large, so overall we were very satisfied. It was very clean and room service was meticulous.
There aren’t many rooms in the hotel and so you get to know other guests very quickly. It therefore has a great social scene and we had plenty of fun evenings in the bar with various people. When we were there the guests seemed mainly to be friendly middle aged Brits, charming US honeymooners, and some trendy young Italians.
The food was excellent most of the time, well-presented and was mainly waiter service – which we much prefer to buffets as we tend to eat late-ish. The hotel obviously wants to make dinner a quality experience and requests a dress code – but it’s an uphill struggle with the men!
Staff members were all excellent. Obviously they have been chosen not just for competence but also for helpfulness and friendliness. Chris, the manager, was much in evidence and constantly checking that all was OK with guests.
Snorkeling was OK (but not fantastic) to the far right of the beach. If you attempt to swim beyond the headland you may find yourself in strong currents. I found it a struggle one day, even wearing fins. We enjoyed the boat trip to the Tobago Cays, although the Pink Lady sailing trip in a storm was more interesting! We partook of the rum punch, had a bottle of wine with two friends on a tiny island and then lost our (personal) snorkelling gear somewhere between the quay and our room. This is why having a drink in the daytime is not a good idea.
An interesting quirk is that the island has lots of iguanas: from bright green youngsters to big, grizzled grey adults. They are everywhere, and usually scuttle away if you get too close. And as there’s a lagoon, there are plenty of insects, despite the almost nuclear-strength fumigation that takes place every evening. It’s a gigantic smoke machine that creates a dense fog – for just a few minutes.
This is a total chill-out hotel – so unlike others managed by the same company, there are few planned activities. You make your own entertainment during the day, which was fine by us. I tried to run around the island a few times to counteract the food intake, but the 30 something temperatures and the perspiration running into my eyes made the bar and a cool beer a more attractive prospect.
So, in summary: this is a quiet and relaxing place and we thoroughly enjoyed it. After two weeks we felt we knew every nook and cranny of the island. The epic return journey which I had been dreading (20 hours for us) came and went. We would definitely return.

6  Thank Cardiff2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,403)

Reviewed November 1, 2010

I am writing you because I would like to tell you how amazing people you
have in Palm island resort.Me and my wife would like to say this way
thank you for the best wedding we could ever imagine and this is the way
I would like to tell you more about your stuff on the island.

It all started with Nicole Merigelli.She did great job helping me doing
reservation up to organizing help for us in Kingstown,going throu all
paper work for our marriage.Nicole did for me really a lot because my
wife was pregnant and was not easy to travel for us.Everything was just
perfect from the first moment we arrived to our departure.There were no
mistakes or any misunderstandings throu our hole trip.I could call her
any time of day.This was really good for us since we are from
Europe.Thank you very much Nicole you were the first step of our perfect
wedding.

On the island there was one man who you should keep until he is able to
breath.His name is Chris and he is manager of the resort.I can tell you
know,I am a professional tennis player.My hole life is staying at the
hotels and traveling around the world.I can say and this is from my hart
that there is not so many managers like Chris.He give everything to make
sure his guests are happy.From the first moment we arrived every day he
stop by and ask us if we need something,if we are happy or he can do
something for us.Just couple of examples.When we have arrived we asked
to change our room for different location closer to our family.he keep
resort so clean that you wonder if there are some dwarfs hidden
somewhere.One day he did ask us what we think can be improved.Because we
are sports family we said,you have a beautiful beach why you don't have
beach volleyball court.Next day net was there.For our wedding day he did
make unbieleveble dinner for us in one of
the Island Villas.We had a great cook our own butler and table was set
unbieleveble romantic directly on the beach.If I can say something about
Chris it is:I did read so much about him on trip advisor.What I had
read,it is just half of the stuff, what is he doing guests.I think many
people are coming back to the resort just because of him.I would like to
come back one day and I hope he will be still working there.

And the last person I would like to say thank you is not working
directly in Palm island resort but he is often there.It is photographer
James Jackson.He did a great job.We won't forget our wedding because of
his pictures.He is a superb photographer.I have couple of friends who
are one of the best world photographers and they were amazed how good
job he did.I would recommend you if you have in future weddings,you
should not only recommend him,but put him directly in wedding package.By
my opinion everybody who has a wedding day in your island would like to
have a great pictures.That is one of the points of wedding.

Again I would like to say thank you for a perfect wedding.You have a
great resort and beautifull island but all this without people like
Nicole,Chris and James it would be just another resort in Caribien.This
people but make difference and I am so happy they were part of my

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank DominikNelly
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I am not sure what to say about this place other than it is amazing! You are met at the dock by Chris and several staff members who offer you a glass of the islands traditional rum punch and taken straight to your room. You check in at your leisure, which is a blessing considering most visitors have been traveling for hours on end to get there.

The rooms are spacious and clean. They in room fridge is stocked with any drink you can possibly expect a room fridge to be stocked with, and it's all included.

The staff are so friendly, you know most of their names be the time you have eaten 2 meals, and some of them know yours!

The food is AMAZING! Dinners were full 5 course meals if you wanted them to be. I did not have a meal I didn't like, and I am a picky eater. The drinks are endlessssssssssss......... :-)

Palm Island can be what you want it to be. It is perfect for relaxing and doing absolutely nothing. There are so few guests at one time (because there are only about 45 rooms), until dinner, you truly feel like you are almost alone on the island. However, we learned on this vacation that we don't know how to relax and ended up doing almost every excursion and walked around the island many times. Even that was relaxing because no matter what direction you waked in, you ended up on a different beach or on a trail that led to amazing views of turquoise water.

I loved this place so much, I hesitated writing a review because I don't want it to be so booked up that I can't get a reservation next time we get a chance for a vacation.

The beaches are unspoiled, but the guests are not! Go, relax, enjoy!

4  Thank beachlover5578
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Palm is a very quiet resort that is very unassuming in appearance, but the island is unbelievable. The service is beyond anything my new wife and I have every experienced. From the moment you land at Union Island, you are their priority. Chris, the GM, will come and speak to you one-on-one at different points of the trip. The wait staff is phenomenal (big props to Anthony, Kevin, and Cleon specifically), and the food is way better than we expected it to be. You can be as active or inactive as you choose, and both are equally as fun! Rather than reviewing every part of the trip, let's just say that my wife and I NEVER wanted to leave the island. It was perfect. Go to Palm Island and you definitely won't regret it.

3  Thank TimmyAndErinK
Reviewed October 25, 2010

My wife, daughter, and I just returned from a trip to Palm Island. It was truly a first class experience. The island is drop dead beautifull and the staff was amazing. They could not have been friendlier or more gracious. We've done a good bit of traveling and this resort is an absolute gem that you should not miss. We're already planning our next visit.

4  Thank teshannon
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Palm island is a great place to visit. The flight to union island was amazing, the staff at palm island are great. It was not crowded, my wife and I spent a lot of time on the beach BY OURSELVES......that was great , it was like it was our own personal island. Chris the GM is great, just ask and you shall receive. The food was great.....don't forget to ask for the nachos at the sunset grill. Would love to go back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cheech07
Reviewed October 12, 2010

we had a very nice time the food was really nice i got a fat tummy while i was there & the drinks are brillant, most of what has been written of late is pretty much right ,we was there for 2 weeks, so if the like the quite life this will suite you. one word of warning if you are ain the virgin frequent club like we are you wont get any upgrades or extras

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Mustique
Clifton Beach Hotel
Clifton Beach Hotel
#2 of 2 in Clifton

Been to Palm Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!