“Paradise Found”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Union Island
London, England
“Paradise Found”
Reviewed July 20, 2006

Hi everyone. I just came back from spending 7 nights on Palm Island in mid-May, and wanted to recount the wonderful experience to anyone who is still deciding on their next trip. I had made the reservations for me and my wife, as a wedding anniversary surprise, and it was only after the confirmation had come through, that i bothered to check and noticed the mixed-comments on this site. As you can imagine, i was more than a little worried.

Let me re-assure you all, there was nothing to be worried about. The minute that we arrived off the boat from Union Island, we were greeted like we were arriving back home to our own private retreat. The room that we were staying in was always kept clean, and stocked up with drinks...and offered a gloious view of the ocean.

The staff on the island have obviously been well trained, because although they seem to be there when you want something...yet they don't crowd the couples who are obviously there to enjoy a romantic getaway. As well as this, I thought the food and drinks were fantastic...and they really went out of their way to try and find new things for my wife to eat (she's a vegetarian who doesn't eat fish).

And above all else, the island itself is simply breathtaking. The ocean is as clear as crystal, and the small number of rooms on the resort really maintains the sense of privacy and adventure, of being able to explore you own 'hidden' unspoilt piece of nature (but with all the creature comforts at the end of the day).

All in all, I would definitely recommend this to any couple who are seeking some time away for 'just the two of us', in a relaxing and simply beautiful caribbean atmosphere.

- David

(N.B. also worth noting was that there was a certain peace of mind knowing that there is a doctor who lives on the island, in fact, he was all of some 300 yards away; in case something went wrong. Nothing did, thank goodness, but it was nice knowing that if it had, we wouldn't have had to wait till we got off the island in order to get medical attention).

• Liked — friendly staff & breathtaking surroundings
  • Disliked — a little quiet
  • Tips/Secrets — wear sunscreen! :-)
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
22 Thank headragons

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
Birmingham UK
Reviewed July 14, 2006

My partner and I went to Palm Island in late feb early March of this year. I like many of you read all the reviews after booking my dream holiday and started to panic! My advice to any of you is DONT WORRY!!! We both fell in love with Palm Island, so much so we are booking a second holiday there for next March. Now lets get down to business......this Kitchen fire!!

I more than anyone can give an honest opinion about this kitchen fire. I can do so because I was there when it was happening.

I experienced the food in the beautiful restaurant pre fire and the food in the alternative restaurant after the fire and yes the food was different but equally good. The management pulled out all the stops to compensate for the upheaval. Ok so we went from gormat syled dining (lobster and King Fish and fancy starters and puddings) to large buffet style dining in one night. The buffet was lovely and I got to taste real home made Carribean food (goat curry and rotis). Plus HUGE portions!

The staff where incredible! I cant believe some people think the bar staff where miserable. Infact as promised when I return to the island in March Im bringing a selection of Cocktail recipe books for Johnny the bartender who LOVES to make cocktails! He even gave me the secret Banana Colada cocktail recipe to take home.Which Ive enjoyed very much!

As for being bitten, I have the most sensitive skin in the world. If there is a bug around I shall be bitten by it.....yet I only got bitten once in 2 weeks!!!

I also had the advantage of staying in two different rooms on the island (we had to move due to our first room being next door to the burnt kitchen). I can tell you that both rooms where stunning and so private. Always clean, our maid was lovely and the fridge always fully stocked with water/beer and fizzy drinks! And the bed......I slept soooooo well in that bed!!

Trust me Im a snob when it comes to perfection and yes Palm Island isnt perfect (that would be Mustique with its HUGE price tag) but Palm Island is 98% there!!

• Stayed February 2006
22 Thank twige01
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 5, 2006

Spent the first week of our honeymoon at Palm Island in mid-may and I don't think we could have done much better. Palm Island is a beautiful resort island and from the moment we arrived we were made very welcome. The staff, throughout the week, could not have done any more for us and nothing was to much trouble.

As this was our first experience of an all-inclusive holiday, we were a little wary but we need not have been. The mini-bar was restocked every morning and drinks at the bar were free flowing - we were always offered another drink before we finished the one we had. Dining was a similarly pleasant experience with the food constantly hitting a high standard.

The rooms, too, were very comfortable with the beachfront room being well worth that little bit extra. As pointed out in other reviews, there is no real air-con but as someone who usually suffers in the heat, the constant breeze kept us cool. As regards the small, portable air-con unit provided in each room, they are a little noisy but we used it at night and slept without any difficulty.

Aside from the excellent service and facilities, there is also the beautiful sandy beach, the crystal clear waters and various day trips to enjoy - definitely head over to the tobago cays for the snorkelling.

Without a doubt, Palm Island is one of the most relaxing and beautiful places I have ever had the pleasure to visit. We certainly look forward to visiting again and seeing if the ever entertaining David (bar) has any new tricks.

10 Thank fgkelly
Bristol
Reviewed June 20, 2006

We have just returned from our wedding/honeymoon in Palm Island which was the most fantastic 2 weeks ever! I must say when we read the comments regarding Palm Island on Tripadvisor we did wonder if we had done the right thing! We read about too many bugs, too many birds, airconditioning being a problem, rubbish food etc

Yes we did get bitten, I think in total about 4 times! Not really an issue!
Yes there are birds, No problem there either
Airconditioning in the rooms was fine - not really an issue either
Food was fantastic.
Therefore we decided that the people who have moaned about such small things obviously cannot chill out anywhere and Palm Island is the ultimate in relaxation.
So please if anyone reads these comments - IGNORE, IGNORE, IGNORE.

Palm is amazing, everything is done for you, accomodation is fantastic, the island itself is wonderful but most of all the staff are the best - Asha, Johney, Chantelle, Susan, Jacquie (wedding co-ordinator), Vince (Big Red), Don, Bash, Margaret and Marsha (management)

We were given a questionnaire on our final day and were asked what we would change about Palm - we couldn't think of a thing!

Our wedding day was fantastic thanks again to the staff, no hassle, no stress, just plain sailing throughout the day.

We are definately going back - tomorrow if we could !!

• Stayed June 2006
13 Thank Rach07
Plymouth
Reviewed May 27, 2006

We stayed here after 4 days in St Lucia (Anse Chastenet) and loved it.
We were almost put off by reviews of bugs, bad air-con and kitchen fires but I'm so pleased we went.
We didn't get bitten. Didn't even see sand flies (must be the season?),
We enjoyed the food - couldn't fault the fresh fish and shellfish
We both loved the tobago cays and swimming with turtles
We had champagne on the beach at sunset, we adored the iguanas basking in the sun and loved being entertained by David the barman's magic tricks.
The only disappointment was bottles of water not being included in the all inclusive package - we just drank lots at meal times and filled bottles up at the gym!!
Get up early and walk to the other side of the island and enjoy the view from the hammock!

• Stayed May 2006
12 Thank Taz 78
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 25, 2006

We arrived having prepaid the highest rate for the season of 800 a night and were assigned an interior courtyard view even though there were beach and loft units available. When we complained that we had booked a beach or loft unit they forced us to put up a credit card for another 200 a night - making our room , $1000.00 a night. Let me tell you, this is not a thousand dollar a night place - maybe 400.00. We finally got it straitened out when the florida Sales office opened the next day but not before sitting in the bar waiting unitl night for a room to be cleaned. We changed and came down to dinner where I can only describe the King Fish with brown sauce as Fish- Boy-R -Dee.

The bartenders are surley and sullen and only slightly more pleasant than the management from which you get the feeling that they would be much happier without guests. The island itself is a flat dry scrub and treeless with a hill on either end. there is a golf course in the middle with would be better used as just about anything. there is a nice beach in the middle but it is always occupied. The Beachfront units are duplexes with a sidewalk in front that give it a feeling of a retirement village in boca Rotan.

The one high point is the French Artist in residence who makes beautiful tiles and paintings of the life of the coral reef.

the best part of it was that we were able to leave aftter two days and go to Petitie St Vincent where I was certain by the service that they thought I was Mick jagger

• Stayed May 2006
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 18, 2006

We went to Palm Island for our wedding/honeymoon. They handled all of the arrangements and did a fabulous job! Everything was perfect. Our wedding coordinator, Jaclita, took care of all of the details. We took a morning walk on our private beach, had a relaxing massage, swam in the ocean, prepared for our wedding, exchanged vows barefoot on the beach, sipped champagne, ate cake, and then celebrated with another couple that we met while on the island. We finished our day off with the steel drum band and lobster bbq. Wonderful, special experience. The staff couldn't have been more helpful.

We had the best room-#43, with a private beach and the tropical breezes that blew in off the ocean right through the room. Good architectural design. For us, air conditioning was of no interest. The breeze and the sound of the ocean were terrific. Housekeeping did an excellent job of keeping us well "stocked" with beverages and towels. The shower overlooked our beach and was wonderful. Quiet, secluded, relaxing.

We enjoyed snorkeling and went for a sail on the Scaramouch. A walk around the island was great with a visit to the Iguana Trail which provided great views, We visited the hammock on the other side of the island which was very romantic and we should have requested the picinic in hindsight. We played ping-pong after dinner. Kind of fun and different. Didn't find time to play "Island Golf". We sailed on the Hobie and loved it. Read, played guitar, walked the beach....plenty to do for us.

The food was not exceptional , pretty healthy, but not wonderful - understandable as the kitchen had recently burned. We understand that this will be rebuilt shortly. The two outdoor bars were appropriate for the island and Johnny, one of the bartenders, was pleasant and helpful.

We loved our experience on Palm Island. We had a wonderful week and a beautiful wedding. The staff was excellent and attentive. Beautiful island. Hated to leave. it was sad to wave good-bye.

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#1 of 2 in Clifton
The Islander's Inn
The Islander's Inn
#1 of 7 in Union Island

Been to Palm Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!