“I fall asleep dreaming of it every night”

Palm Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Union Island
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I am a little late with this - we stayed from Oct 27 to Nov 3 - bought the deal on Living Social and we are SOOO glad we did! I have a hard time understanding some of the comments - humid during the day, yes, but when the sun set, it was pleasant. The dining room was not "unbearable" at all. Yes, there were bugs - no surprise since we read the reviews - they sprayed and at night, they were no issue at all - they supply bug spray in your room and use it I say! Sure did not make a dent in our enjoyment. Yes, some of the food was hit and miss but folks, you must remember, you are on an island that relies on supplies weekly from Union Island and elsewhere so if you want chicken, (why the heck would you), remember, it has to come from somewhere else right? Eat fish and lobster - they were excellent as was the steak. The staff were so great - we got to know them and they us - we met and made friends and it was just an amazing week! If you can afford it, go - you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ocean front is the best if you can afford it - you can hear the surf all night even with the windows...
4  Thank lakerlynne

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Spent a week here with my husband in November. The island is pristine and I recommend exploring the beaches and trails. The beach front cottage was cozy, clean, and I loved that I could wake up to see the ocean a few feet away. We thought the trip would be a "do-nothing" trip but we had so much fun playing and snorkeling in the water. Definitely go sailing with Thaddeus and go on the Pink Lady to Tobago. The staff really is amazing, so warm and friendly. My only criticism is the food. The portions were plenty but the quality was hit or miss. I feel like if I am going to pay this much to stay, I should be able to order the fresh catch medium rare, for example. There was ample fresh fruit and veggies (other reviews said they were missing) and because we were there during lobster season, we got our fill (yum!). I also appreciated that for our last night, they offered us lobster one more time even though it was not on the menu.
Overall, it is a truly magical place and I know the new managers are working to make improvements. Thanks to all the staff for your loving care.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sailoranne
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I can only find praise to describe our experience at Palm Island. Here we found a tranquil place in which to have an exclusive holiday experience and feel special. The level of service is absolutely amazing, and compares very well with the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Totally non intrusive, but always ready to serve your every need. For example, we had forgotten to bring contact lense solution. They were super accomodating in having a bottle ferried over from St Vincent for us in record time!
The food is absolutely amazing. Always very good quality and in extremely good quantities.
And drinks are absolutely great, with staff going the extra legth to make the most amazing cocktails.
And what to say of the surroundings: a whole island to experience, with 5 beaches all for you. You can choose to be on the main beach, with maybe another 5/6 couples or so stretched over half a mile, or you can go to one of the other more secluded places and have a mile long beach for yourself.
Some of the waiters will simply make your day. I cannot start to explain what people like Margaret, Madonna or Kevin are like: simply top quality world-class service personnel who will make you feel at home and add a note of humour to your holiday. Amazing people.
Congratulations to Matthew and David for their superbly run operation at Palm Island!

Room Tip: It makes sense to spend a bit more and stay at an Island Loft if you can get hold of one. The beach...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Spanishwanderer
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I have never writen a review but its time. This is a hard place to get too and if your spending your good hard earned money then read and make sure you get what you deserve. So with that said here is what I thought. We have been all over the Caribbean and Bahamas. Im a 41 yr old and like to have a quite get away from people and thought this would be it. I love good service and travel often so if im writing it must have affected me a lot. I love to give complements SO this is hard but important. I usually pick beautiful spots with very few people that is private and higher end quality. I didn't expect the "ritz" but some service would be nice. Ocean front was perfect. Bugs not a problem normal for Caribbean. Birds are birds no big deal. Island beaches amazing!! Biking and hiking fun!
The let down came with the new mangers. It was painful! They seemed forced to stand at the dock and greet you. There were three of them with different titles. It's a tiny resort and I barely saw them. It's almost like they hid and let things just happen. Breakfast service would take an hour. I would ask my wife to go early and order 2 eggs and bacon and after a swim and dry off 30 min later still no food. It was this way daily and no managers around. Staff for most part could care less. Two or three were amazing and cared. One was Kevin. Funny and happy to have a job. It was not the staffs fault though it was the fact they had no direction from the managers who would look away the few times I saw them?? We had a lay over in Miami and had lunch at a nice hotel on south beach and immediately saw the difference in service. It's really sad because the location and island are amazing!!! I asked about going to union on the ferry and one manger I tract down finally said we could leave at 10:30 but not back until 5:00 ferry because they use ferry for departing guest or arriving. Then anothe staff says it ran almost hourly and can come and go as needed and that's what we did. Managment wouldn't recommend a taxi servic either when I asked for ride to neighboring island. She said "we don't recommend any taxi services". So I asked how much they charge for me to rent boat for 4 people for a few hours $800...then it went to $650?? So your stuck using them but I would recommend a taxi driver named Richard (in union) who took us all over for resonate price and felt very safe.
We would never go back for a expensive vacation with bad drinks (can't make a simple Piña coloda). I met the owners son the day we went over to union island for the day. He was what I wish the managment was like...caring,responsive and wanting to make sure he could do everything possible to make sure my vacation was going above average.
I will recommend "JT kite surfing school" on union. Stand up paddle board excursions and kite surfing all around local islands. Jereme tronet is one of the best in the world runs the school with his amazing girlfriend Lynn who is also a professional kite surfer and a wonderful host/guide of the area. If you want to have some excitement and world class experience contact the JT pro center. The locals and the food on union were great. Eat at "big city" amazing little local spot. Lobster there was unreal for lunch. Go to happy island at union harbor entrance. You will leave happy after 2 rum punches.
I wish palm island well and think it could be world class but I'll go to exuma or St. Martinique or even a house on union for amazing spots that can may actually care you spent time and money to relax and enjoy the area. Service is not hard to give but if you act like asking a question about the island or a charter Is above you then management will ruin palm island. I think the old manager David would be very upset of what his island has turned into.

Concerned

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Chiroe63
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Some days one may wonder where to go when the stress, pollution, neighbors, traffic, shopping and lifes everyday burdens just seem to not let go. You know THAT day.

Here is how I got my life back on a new track. Two Words:

PALM ISLAND!

We flew from NM straight to Barbados, which in itself was a great stop, brief but great. After staying at the sister resort to Palm Island, our afternoon departure took us to Union Island aboard a turbo prop....right into Hurricane Patti. It really wasnt a bad storm and the turbo handled it well. Union Island is the working island next to Palm, and is where the majority of the staff of the resort live. Not much in way of amenities, more of a working mans home.

From Union, a small dive style boat took us to the dock at Palm where we were met by the manager of the resort with Rum Punches. Woo Hoo, now that's the way to start a vacation. It was late upon arrival. The room manager took us to our Beach-side Bungalow and we were informed to just relax get ready for dinner and check-in would be completed the following day. WOW! Not a problem with me.

Everything for here was just a first class resort. Now let me say: If you LOVE to shop, get stuck in traffic, listen to other tourists BNC, then please don't go to Palm Island.

*There is no shopping (except for really necessary items at the little shop).
*There is no traffic, bikes are used to get around if you really need to hurry over to the other side of the island, a 30 minute walk.
*There is no BNCing, really there isn't. Everyone after the first day is totally relaxed (magically), is friendly, the staff know your name after one day, the iguanas smile, the native birds do sing a lovely tune.

When you pack, take the following: bathing suit, flip flops, tanning oil and/or sun screen, good sunglasses, a really good book you can leave behind in the resort library, one functional dressy outfit, good walking shoes, shorts and t's, and beach mat.

Dont pack your lap top, ipod, ect. Those are distractions you wont need.

Your room has AC, the water is drinkable, the baths are American, the staff are friendly, the iguanas don't bug, Doc is a great painter, and a black lab would love a few new doggy bone snacks (hint hint)

All I can say is this. Go to Palm Island, Eat very well and not gain any weight, enjoy glorious sunsets, drink some awesome Coconut Rum's, go walking with your spouse, mate, friend, significant other. Head east to the secluded #3 Hammock, take a lunch. Use your beach mat as a foundation on the hammock. Stay the day and let your everyday drama just melt away. Do this every other day.

What will happen before you leave Palm Island?

You will fall in love again.
You will have some sand in your good shoes.
Your bathing suit will be well used.
Makeup and hair gel will be unimportant.
Your cheeks will be sore from all your smiles.
Your friends back home will definitely comment on your tan!
You will wonder why you brought clothes you didnt wear.

Room Tip: Get a room by the beach north of the bar, they are the quietest and not as many guests pass by. The...
11  Thank RudyR2011
Reviewed November 1, 2012

i assume that most folks write reviews shortly after thier stay and in reading some of these i can't help but wonder if we were really on the same island. we had a really great time and found that palm island had much to offer. highlights were:
--new gen mgr matthew is a delight as is david and they are both very interested in providing a wonderful experience for thier guests.
--the food was really great. those that thought otherwise must not be very experienced travelers in the islands as some frozen or canned items (like mushrooms on the pizza) are pretty much standard unless you are paying $40+ per entree. as always its best to stick with the local dishes including fish. the salads, fruit (yes we had plenty of limes and lemons) and especially local fish were very fresh, delicious and well cooked. we had the best (and huge) lobster that we've ever had in the carribbean and ate it 4 of our 7 nights there. there are 2 restaurants open for lunch daily, only one at breakfast and dinner except wed and sat and only a very few hours during the day when you can't get something to eat. i thought the portion size was just right as we got to sample various items and never once left a meal hungry.
--there is plenty to do or nothing to do, your choice. the island is spread out enough so that you can get a lot of privacy if you wish or be involved with others. they have 3 hobies to sail, kayaks, snorkel trips to the cays (which are a must on the pink lady) and other islands, ping pong, pool, tennis, plenty of board games, library, a rough form of golf, bikes, hiking, shuffboard, massages, gym, pc to use and tv if all else fails you.
--service was very good from the waitresses to those picking up fallen leaves from the beach. dining service is well timed and not rushed. when the resturant is very busy it might take a few extra minutes to wait for your main course but you get all the free drinks you want so an extra glass of wine is nice if you have to wait a moment or two. the bar is open until the last guests leave it at night and the bartenders know thier stuff (thanks luke!) but folks aren't falling around drunk either which was good. we were pleasantly surprised about the quality of the wine that is included. the sparking, chardonnay and cab are especially good.
--the beach is beautiful and the water is the perfect tempature. loved it.
--rooms are nice, not too fancy but all that you need. plenty of space to store your stuff and a nice large shower overlooking the beach. beds are really comfy and the a/c cools down the room quickly. we stayed in beachfront villa, those in the higher "teens" offer more privacy.

the one negative was the mosquitos and sand fleas. we have experienced these in every tropical island we have visited but these guys wake up a bit earlier than most. as this is the rainly season (and therefore priced accordingly) i'm sure they were worse than usual. the resort does to everything possible to assist with fogging/bug spray for the outside area, room and body but the critters are aggressive and hungry. next time i will be much more diligent with the spray as well as bring along some anti itch cream. we learned to head inside to miss the worst of it in the late afternoon and that helped.

overall we had a wonderful experience at palm island and look forward to visiting again soon!

Room Tip: beachfront rooms 6-10 are closer to the restaurant/bar and have direct beach access. those in the...
13  Thank magnamosa
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We experienced Palm Island from 8 October for ten days and what a wonderful holiday. Firstly the staff are first class, Madonna, Olive, Antonetta, Kenneth and Kevin deserve special mentions, during our holiday we celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary and we couldn't have picked a better location. We stayed in a Palm Room which was very spacious, the mini bar was kept well stocked with beer and soft drinks, the bed was enormous and very comfortable, yes the bathrooms were a little dated but added to the rustic ambience. The main thing was, nothing was too much trouble...........we made new friends from across the pond and also new friends from the UK and apologies to Kenneth for keeping you working at the bar when all guests apart from us four had gone to bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The food was excellent, steak, lobster etc, never went hungry. The choice of drinks from the bar was extensive, brand names not a problem.

One complaint was the snorkelling equipment on the Yannis, is you have large feet, fins are a problem, unable to go snorkelling on the Cays trip, so missed the turtles as you needed fins as the sea was quite rough, real shame.

The island is just breathtakingly beautiful, one for the bucket list....... thank you to Palm Island for making our 30th anniversary so memorable and the special friends we have made......... regards to Inverness and wonder if ' Wilson' has found his way home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those who guided us to rooms 31-33 led us right we stayed in Palm 33 which was great close to the beach and restaurant. Can't wait to return................. hope all will be the same**************

9  Thank greganddenise
#1 of 2 in Clifton
The Islander's Inn
The Islander's Inn
#2 of 7 in Union Island

Been to Palm Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!