“Pristine Palm!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Union Island
texas
“Pristine Palm!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

The beaches, water and sunsets are SO beautiful. IF you love these you are in luck but if you want other things to do that do not revolve around the ocean this is NOT the place for you. There is not much else to do that isn't water related. We loved it!!!! The accommodations were pretty(no phone or TV), great, friendly staff, good food. A visit to resident artist, Patrick Chevailler, who is world-renowned for his oil paintings of underwater life, is worth the walk. It's a very short stroll from the resort. His studio is in his home and his paintings are as if you're in the water face to face with the subject matter. There are many very large iguanas on the island that are good photo subjects. On the down side, be aware that they spray for mosquitos daily which is a necessity I'm sure but unpleasant to breath. As for Happy Island between Union Island and Palm Island don't bother. We had seen it on No Reservations on the Travel Channel and thought we HAD to visit. The idea is awesome, bar very cool but got the impression that Janti is laughing at the stupid tourists who pay expensive price for rum punch that tastes like the garbage you can buy at the store with very little rum in it--just didn't feel it. We have traveled extensively in the Caribbean and he was one of the most disingenuous people we've met. Overall, we loved this resort and the people on the island so put on those flipflops, lose your watch(you're on island time now) and enjoy the gorgeous sunsets and the beautiful smiles of the sweet people!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank TexasNaturegeek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

Went on a trip here in 1996 when we got married from BARBADOS and stated would return for an anniversary

We returned and loved it, very peaceful and food excellent - bar closes around 1100hrs

So quite quiet an peaceful

We did the catamaran trip in 1996 and would recommend to wi and snorkel around the cays

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A.MACCA
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

May I begin by saying that my husband and I vacation on Palm each year and we love every moment of it. We travel with wonderful friends who love Palm as much as we do, which only enhances the experience for us. While I TOTALLY agree with previous reviewers that Palm needs to add proper fruit for the cocktails I disagree wholeheartedly with the dress code complaint. AMEN! It's is about time! We ALL spend a great deal of money to take this vacation and also take the time and effort to dress properly for dinner. There are some times that we don't wish to "dress up" for dinner so we head for the Sunset Grill to dine with our toes in the sand. I am just saying that you have a choice. I went to Palm for a couple of weeks last summer "solo" and was completely shocked at the dress in the Royal Palm. I should have addressed this at the time but did not. Short shorts on women and men in ratty jeans and sneakers - simply not acceptable. I am THRILLED that the issue of proper attire has finally been addressed! No one is asking you to wear formal wear to dinner. Management specifies in detail the dress code in the contract. I feel that it diminishes others experience on Palm as a romantic island. Thank you, Rob! I was going to give you a shout out regarding the dress code but now I don't have to! I know that Galley Bay respects the dress code and we always felt Palm should as well. When I want to wear shorts to dinner, I'll go to Walt Disney World. See you very soon, Palm.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LuvtheCays
Bournemouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

We loved Palm Island, it is now definitely on the must return to holiday list .

Loved every minute of our 14 night stay, from the plane ride to Union Island ( great dive bomb landing ) to landing and being greeted at the dock by the management and a cocktail by Kenneth (great bloke good one to know, he is the barman. Get to know him and he will have your drink ready as you walk up to the bar) right through to our last day.

Thanks to Chris the GM for the surprise room upgrade to a beach suite on our second day. We didn't ask for it but it was very much appreciated as my wife and I dont expect anything like this when we go away. Loved the Beach front suite and viewed some great sunsets from it. Chris was always checking to see if everything was alright when we passed each other at any time.

Loved the rustic feel and the ground around the plantation / palm view rooms area, wish I had a garden like that. Just a beautiful island, the wild life is great and everywhere. We take our own fishing gear and the chef at the Sunset was really happy with the fish we gave him. He offered to cook one up specially for us.

All the staff were brilliant from the restaurant, bar, house keeping, front desk to the guys raking the the sand and cleaning the paths, all greeted us every morning, ask how we were and wished us a good day. Don't know how anyone one can put in a trip advisor review the staff are not friendly. It is small few of the guest who were rude, unfriendly or gave the staff a hard time, just because they spend a bit of money to go there so they thing they can be.

If you check on where the people come from and what they put in the reviews for negative comments you will get the jist of why they are negative. Best advise ignor them, this is the Caribbean its laid back things happen in there own time, your on an island and things you are use to and readily available in your big cities or even your same super markets back home, are not readily available all the time and everything has to be shipped in, I mean shipped in by boat.

I have seen reviews where they have commented on the dress code for dinner, this is the same in most good Caribbean resorts and the last thing my wife and I want is to sit next to someone in their sweaty shorts, teeshirt and flip flops or even worse someone with a football shirt on while trying to enjoy a 5 course al la carte dinner, hope they get bitten by the mosquitoes (remember to spray with the OFF! mosquito spray supplied in your room, if you run out just ask from more) Oh! if you want to stuff your face with big portions go on a cruise and join the free for all at the buffet.

Both my wife and I have travelled and stayed in many hotels and resorts of all different standards, even so called 5 stars and these are the most friendly staff we have had the pleasure to meet.

The following staff are worth a mention as they went beyond the normal by interacting and taking the time to get to know us and us them, as well as providing great entertainment on some of the evenings.

Kenneth - At the bar, knew how to make our drinks and sometimes had one ready for us as we walked up. Great interaction with all the guests, even the difficult rude ones.
Kevin - Everyone loved him, great little entertainer
Madonna - Just a brilliant girl and a fantastic singer.
Grafton - Always welcoming and another great entertainer.
Dextor - Great bloke and great with all the guests.
Cordel - Our house keeping, lovely lady and always had time to have a quick chat with my wife.
Cordelia - at the front desk and very helpful, specially with booking excursions. Had a great sunset sail on the Pink lady.
Veronica - At the front desk and Spa, gave a great massage to both my wife and I at the spa.
Godfred - The night time entertainer who puts on a great time singing and getting people up and dancing. Watch out for the Dollar song...

All the staff are very professional at their jobs, all endeared themselves to the guests, a great team there. These guys work long hours and some stay on the Island away from family and loved ones. Take timeout to get to know them and so respect. Just because you spent a bit of money on getting and staying there dosen't entitle you to give them a hard time or be rude.

I have promised to email and send some photos and put some videos up on youtube for them.

This is a great place, its about taking things easy and relaxing, chillout, on the lovely beaches and clear waters. Go swimming with the turtles in the Cays where Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed and see the island Jack and Liz drank rum on, then start singing "yo ho yo ho pirates life for me"

It is a privilege to be able go and to have places like to Palm Island. To few special places like this exist for you to go to now that haven't been spoiled by Corporates.

Room Tip: Palm view rooms are good value, large clean and good position, unless you like a sea view, then you...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Glen_Sandy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

The palm island aruba 5 minits in tbe boat to the palm island,welcome brieving,told us wat to do on the island and where to go,great job.a great islnd with a lot oF fun activities around snorkling the best,onlya smallincdent burn coral, send me to the first aid , nice play , Youseff lacle the life guard help us with some special thing,thank you, we keep injoy our stay at de palm island , the open bar we enjoy it , loves heineken . Snackbar, the food ,five star island thank you nice crew .

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Daphny Gls
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Lets begin on a positive note. The perks about the island is that it is VERY private, the views are stunning and the beach is everything we hoped for. The staff for the most part was wonderful. Most people were so eager to help you get whatever you wanted. All of this the island resort lived up to.

However, What they did not live up to outweighed the perks. First of all don't let this place fool you - there is a strict enforced dress code for dinner. Why? I have no freaking clue. Its a hut type restaurant on the beach for goodness sake. Nothing screams 5 star yet they wont let women wear nice shorts which is discriminatory in this day in age. I even tried to wear a nice straw dressy hat one night to dinner and was told to take it off! Are you kidding me? Not only are we paying a ton of money to be here, you put a 3 star restaurant on the beach and have the nerve to tell your customers they can't wear dressy island clothes to dinner?

The food was also just ok. They really need to get over themselves and make rules that suit the 21st century. I live in NYC and this was appalling. I can stay at the W hotel and never have this problem at a much nicer restaurant. I have lots of clientele with money as well and would never recommend this place until they change this crazy rule.

The rooms were another BIG disappointment! I mean I don't think the've changed the interior of the rooms since the 80's. They need to make is nicer and get rid of the palm tree comforters. Nothing screams sexy about the rooms when this is a desirable honeymoon location.

Lastly, there is NOTHING fresh on the island. No fresh OJ, no fresh cocktails. Its all syrup and HFCS mixes. Even the ice cream drinks are not make with real ice cream. They have some ice cream liquid they use. Also If you're vegan forget having lots of menu options. I for one have a wheat allergy and had zero options of snack foods in between meals.

If you're looking for a private island with great staff, gorgeous views, and decent food and don't care about the things I complained about this is your spot. But for that kind of money I'd rather stay at a high end hotel and be waited on hand and foot and have better amenities.

I'm giving this place 3 stars because the views are amazing, the beach is outstanding, and the staff is really great. They just need a major face lift!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
19 Thank calpin99
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

We were excited about going to Palm Island for a well-deserved holiday after a really stressful period. We'd been to two other 'luxury inclusive' resorts in the Caribbean before (East Winds Inn in St Lucia, and Galley Bay in Antigua) and had a good idea what to expect.

The journey was fine (I even enjoyed the trip on the tiny plane!), and the welcome on reaching the Island warm. Our beachfront room was spacious and comfortable, with everything we needed (and definitely worth the upgrade from the palm view rooms). All was spotlessly clean, with a comfortable bed, large shower, and plenty of closet space. There were insects, but that's what you expect if you go to the Caribbean. Our room was a few steps from the beach and the water, which was lovely. We enjoyed both the sea and the pool. Staff were, with some exceptions, friendly and accommodating.

The food is fine, but considerably less impressive than Galley Bay, its sister property in Antigua, and miles away from the wonderful food at the East Winds Inn in St Lucia. The service in the restaurant was incredibly slow (and we really are relaxed diners on the whole), and we couldn't really see a reason for it most of the time. The resort felt isolated, which was good, and the resort was certainly not crowded, which we liked. The only thing that really was very poor was the 'spa', which was like someone's living room - tiny, cramped, hot, and no privacy. I'd booked to have two treatments (reflexology and a pedicure) which were uncomfortable and not remotely relaxing (two 'therapists' just chatted to one another while one was doing my treatments!), and though I was taken into a 'treatment room' for the reflexology it had barely enough room for the bed, and the door was left wide open so that the therapist could continue her conversation with her friend outside. This aspect was a complete waste of time and money and I really wish I hadn't bothered. The other thing that wasn't very nice was our outside patio - we spent almost no time there as it was so uncovered and public - might as well lie on the beach or by the pool.

All-in-all, we had a good time, but couldn't shake a feeling of mild disappointment. It's a very long way to travel for things to be not quite tip-top, and we felt it could have been a really fabulous experience if just a few things changed: proper spa, better food and wine, some of the service a bit better.

Room Tip: beachfront rooms are good
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Petit St.Vincent
The Islander's Inn
The Islander's Inn
#2 of 7 in Union Island

Been to Palm Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!