“Cute rustic little pub hotel”
Review of The Bull

The Bull
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ditchling
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Lovely and imaginatively decorated rooms, enthusiastic service and good breakfast.

Also decent evening meal, comfy bed, large tv and beautiful walks in surrounding area over the Sussex Downs.

Good for romantic escape!, and just over an hour from South London.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Room 1 just after the refurb and were seriously impressed with the quality and well thought out details. Everything from the lovely linens, thick dressing gowns to small flask of fresh milk in the fridge for the morning drinks impressed. I've stayed in many spa and boutique hotels for alot more money who haven't achieved this standard.

The morning was slightly eventful as an unfortunate chimney fire created an evacuation, but even during this the staff provided coffee!

10/10 to Molly and team. :)

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew P
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my mother and daughter for one night in February. The pub is lovely and quaint and the fires made it really homely. The staff are really friendly and helpful. We
ate lunch on arrival had a meal in the evening which was ample and tasty. The breakfast was okay. Service was excellent.
I have marked the hotel down because of the following:
1) Provision of tea and coffee is always standard in the UK, but all that was offered in the room was a bottle of water and sweets. We all like a cuppa after a day of walking and one in the morning before going down for breakfast. We had to buy tea for three people from the bar at £7.50 and take it upstairs. There was no indication on the website that tea and coffee was not provided in the room.
2) There were building works taking place at the hotel and scaffolding was erected all around. We were not warned on check in that on waking up that men would be walking outside our windows and could see directly into our rooms.
3) The rooms look nice on the surface, but the sofa was tatty. No lights near the big mirror, essential if no natural light.
4) The rooms only had large overhead showers and no baths. This is okay if you want to wash your hair all the time as no shower caps were provided.
5) Although the bedding and towels were clean and laundered there were cobwebs in the room and bathroom.
I expect rooms that you pay £120 and £100 for to be of a better standard, having stayed in many rooms in the UK in the past few years.
I complained to the hotel, they apologised and said that the rooms are being renovated!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank sucgr_epsom
Reviewed February 26, 2014

An absolutely brilliant weekend. From our arrival to our departure everything was lovely. The rooms was great (not massive but nice enough) and the bar and food was amazing. We ate in the restaurant side on the Friday night, next to the large inglenook fireplace and drank lovely beer (I love Darkstar beer) and wine and ate amazing food. very satisfied. On the Saturday we sat in the other side of the pub and that too is top notch.

The only downside was watching my team's performance in the FA cup from my room... but I guess I can't blame the staff for that. Though they could probably have played better!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I have been to this pub countless times, i love it!
I do love it as a pub, i love the old fashioned interior, the warm ambiance the drinks the food BUT my real reason for liking it is not this but the girls working there . If anyone is in doubt which pub to go to for rediculously good looking bar staff look no further (one siren in particular but they all are). And you know what it works. I got drunk, probably spent twice as much haha. They probably wonder why all the young men go so awkward when they go to get a drink. No wonder.
More than happy to drive all the way up from my s*#*hole in Moulsecoomb (no offence to patrons of moulsecoomb, we all have to endure it)
Yeah so... go here.

Room Tip: Choose the pub.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mister_Curtis
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Good old pub, atmospheric, friendly, with good service and above average food. The food, choice of drinks and environment are all above the usual standard, but you do pay for the privilege; it's not a place to go to on a tight budget.

In the summer, the garden is very nice, in the winter the area in the rear, away from the main bar, is best for dining.

Not sure if they still make their rather famous chocolate brownies as dessert, but they were to die for!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I was looking for someplace to take my girlfriend away to for a few days. I was looking for something quaint, romantic, a bit quirky and with nice open log fireplaces. The place needed to be very easily accessible from London. The Bull met all of that criteria. The food and menu are excellent. The beer list is very good and creative. The atmosphere in the pub is lovely. On our second night there was a large christmas party who were a bit annoying but that wasn't the Bull's fault. If you want a really nice pub with really nice rooms in a really nice quaint town - you really ought to try this place. I'll hopefully return in the summer when one can take better advantage of the south downs walking opportunities in the vicinity.

Only drawback is once in Hassocks you need to call and arrange a taxi to get there. You'll be fine if you do this in advance of arriving, otherwise you'll probably need to wait half an hour. Also, you can hear some noise from the pub in the rooms. Although it didn't bother me too much and by midnight it will have mostly dissipated.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ditchling
Horsted Place
#1 of 43 in Brighton
Best Western The Birch Hotel
Best Western The Birch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Haywards Heath

Been to The Bull? Share your experiences!