“Luxury”
Review of Tovey Lodge

Tovey Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Ditchling B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Our friends bought us a night away from it all and this was the perfect setting for a delightful getaway. We made the most of the spa facilities and the room was so luxurious. Very friendly owners and can highly recommend as an alternative to staying in Brighton. For dining, best restaurants in the area would be Hurst, not far away.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Tovey Lodge

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed at the tovey lodge over the first may bank holiday weekend and stayed in the oak room upstairs. The lodge is lovely. Very clean and spacious and not a scrape of dirt in site. The room we stayed in was very modern with a nice decor through out. The lodge is surrounded by beautiful grounds and plenty of seating.

The fact that the lodge had a pool and a jacuzzi was what drew us to the lodge. After a long day out and about - it was heavenly to come home and be bale to jump into the hot tub. I traveled with my husband and 2 children and although the lodge was fully booked we had the leisure facilities all to our self.

The area of Ditchling is nice but we found that there was no where suitable to eat. Luckily we had our car so we could travel further afield. Brighton is a 25 minute drive away so the location of the lodge is fab.

There is plenty of parking around the accommodation also.

We found the owners both very friendly and great hosts.

However, there are a few things that I think visitors should be aware of...

1) Breakfast. This is served on a large table in the dining room. All the guests sit together, I thought that this was a nice idea and not a issue at all. However what I did not like and appreciate is that there was only one pot of tea that guests are expected to share. We always sat on the top end of the table and I often had to get up from my seat to go down the table to pour more tea. It would be so much nicer if 2-3 pots of tea were made and that way guests would always have pot close by. I like to have 2 sometimes 3 cups of tea with my breakfast and found this rather off putting. In addition the same was some with toast. The owners would make the toast and then not bring any more until it was finished. If you were last down, you were expected to eat cold toast.

Or the other scenario would be is that you would have hot toast but be waiting on your eggs, by the time the eggs came- the toast was cold. It would be advisable to the owners to put a toaster in the living room so that guests can make their own. As you are paying the price for a bed and breakfast - one expects a warm breakfast and plenty of tea.

The other issue I had was that my daughter left her sleeping blanket in the room. The owners did call us and offered to post it back to us. The charged us £10 for this which I thought was shocking. Especially as the postage only costed them £4.10 and the post office is in the local village (which is a 2 min drive away) I didn't expect a family run business like this to over charge customers especially as I made it very clear when leaving that we would be looking to book and come back again.

Lastly, the reason that we stayed at the lodge was because it was my birthday weekend (which the owners knew about). I was quite surprised that they never offered a card or some flowers or a tiny cake. A small gesture like that would have gone a long way. I understand that they are running a business but I believe that small token gestures as such are what makes customers come back and guest houses are very much about repeat business.

Overall my family and I had a lovely long weekend and would recommend Tovey Lodge as a nice weekend away choice for a small family.

Room Tip: We stayed in the oak room which was lovely.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We booked here in the Maple suite at Tovey lodge for a two night stay after our wedding. We were so pleased when we arrived, genuine luxury and a very friendly and warm welcome by the owners. The rooms were spotless and live up to the 5* reputation. The pool, hot tub and sauna were again spotless, very warm and a nice addition. You certainly get what you pay for here and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to friends and family, or to come back again soon.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Tovey Lodge for one night as a birthday treat.
What an amazing place! The house is fabulous and the gardens are beautiful. It's so quiet, a total 'chill out and relax' retreat. I had an amazing nights' sleep.
The welcome we received from Roy and Diane was second to none. They were so friendly and couldn't do enough for us.....a truly lovely couple.
This place is a great base to go exploring, as it's very close to Brighton, Lewes and lots of attractions.
The room was very comfortable and clean, everything done to a really high standard, with everything we needed - even a torch in case of a power cut!
There's a lovely lounge with a gorgeous inglenook fire-place. It has everything....TV, DVD player, books, games, etc.
The swimming pool, spa bath and sauna were fantastic, and as we were the only guests that night, we had them all to ourselves, bliss!
The breakfast was absolutely delicious - so much choice, locally proceed food and beautifully cooked.
We would definitely recommend this luxury B&B, and we enjoyed it so much, we're going back in May for our anniversary.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nediachick
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My partner and I had a lovely weekend at Tovey Lodge.
We had the pool, sauna and hot tub to ourselves during our stay. All clean and lovely and warm. Lots of towels and robes and slippers provided -a nice touch.
The double room was bright and clean, lots of hot water. Nice variety of coffee and teas and chocolate biscuits in the room. Large comfortable living room for guests, with books to browse. Breakfast was very good. Choice of juices, yogurts, fruit compote etc, the cooked breakfast was very tasty.
The owners were very friendly and helpful.
Had a great evening meal and pint of ale in a pub in the local village about a mile away and it was only a 15 minute drive into Brighton centre the following day to go to the theatre. We visited Lewes on the Sunday, which is an interesting, historic little town. The surrounding area is beautiful and we are looking to stay here again later in the year and enjoy some of the walks available. Have recommended this BnB to friends and family. It is definitely worth a stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in poplar room
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CLW503
Reviewed January 27, 2013

A real home from home stay. Very welcoming hosts, comfortable accommodation and a hearty breakfast! Ideally located very close to Brighton and Lewes. Two very nice pubs serving delicious meals in Ditchling, 5 mins by car from the lodge. An excellent swimming pool, Jacuzzi and sauna!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This a truly delightful B &B, wonderfully welcoming and accommodation to a very high standard! Roy and Dianne are very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. We would recommend the maple suite, worth the little extra and make sure you make use of the hot tub and pool! Lovely!

Room Tip: Take the Maple Suite
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ditchling
The Bull
#1 of 1 in Haywards Heath
South Lodge Hotel
South Lodge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lower Beeding

Been to Tovey Lodge? Share your experiences!