“A very nice lunch”

Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Havelock
Cuisines: Seafood, Cafe, New Zealand
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Havelock's iconic green lip (green shell) mussel restaurant.Casual and informal.The restaurant specialises in green lip mussels but also has a variety of New Zealand seafood, burgers, pastas, gluten free and vegetarian options all perfectly matched with famous Marlborough wines and New Zealand beer.Great outdoor seating through summer. Closed for winter May to end of August.
Reviewed December 3, 2012

the John Dory fish n chips was juicy and succulent, and the steamed mussel pot was brill. We chose the corriander, chilli, coconut milk sauce, and the kick from the chilli was subtle and just right. A very nice lunch indeed.

Tracy C, Owner at The Mussel Pot, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Thanks for your review. So glad you enjoyed it. If you pop across from Wellington please do come and see us again.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

The review below says it all. I heartily agree that this is the perfect place for a lunch stop - we ate here on Saturday, and couldn't resist coming back again on Sunday. The staff were bright and cheerful, the food was freshly prepared and the atmosphere was very pleasant and cheerful. I was quite amused by the one-star review below by a disgruntled customer and the excellent reply from Tracy, the owner. I mentioned this to Tracy just before we left and she ushered me into the kitchen; well, it was the cleanest restaurant kitchen I've ever seen - absolutely spotless! Loved the menu, loved the wine, can't recommend it enough....

Tracy C, Owner at The Mussel Pot, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

Thank you so much for your reveiw. I'm so glad you enjoyed yourselves and came back twice. We really try hard to ensure our customers enjoy their visit .
If you were amused by the reply I finally posted you should have seen the first two that I wrote before I had calmed down. I thought I would save these and perhaps write a humorous book/ blog about the restaurant in later years.
Hope you have a truly wonderful time here in NZ

Reviewed November 1, 2012

If you are driving between Blenheim and Nelson and are peckish around lunchtime, this is definitely the place to stop. The place is totally quirky and can't be missed - its on the main road and is decorated with giant mussels. We had the owner serving us - a really nice and helpful lady - and its obvious she is passionate about her food. We had a mussel chowder and mussel fritters. The chowder was just mouth-wateringly good. The fritters were thick and fantastic. We certainly did not leave hungry. Good ambiance, fantastic food - a perfect lunch with a good glass of wine - not to be missed

Tracy C, Owner at The Mussel Pot, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Thankyou so much for your review. I hope you enjoyed your time down here and will visit us again when you need a break from Auckland.

Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

This place is an absolute pleasure to enjoy - plenty of choice, wonderful food & great service - do yourself a favour & enjoy!

Tracy C, Owner at The Mussel Pot, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Thank you for your review. We are really pleased you enjoyed it. Hope you enjoy your time in the South Island and hope you visit us again.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband and I decided while on holiday to call into the Mussel Pot for dinner, as it is always a nice place for a rest while driving between Nelson and Blenheim.

Hubby ordered the steak with mushrooms and I tried a new flavour of steamed mussels (thought I would be brave as I always stick with what I know).

What an experience!!!

I now have a new flavour of Mussels to try (not sure, but thing that next time I'll be spending more time here and ordering 2 pots - I can't decide which I like more), Hubby was in 7th heaven with his steak - he said that it was the best he had tasted anywhere (big call from him as he is definitely the "meat eater" in the family).

The wait staff were extremely attentive, and very knowledgeable about how the mussels were cooked and prepared (I was nervous with my choice but after their explanations I was definitely looking forward to them).

After our meal, we were then offered the dessert menu - and what do you know, homemade gelato!! I didn't believe that it was "homemade" so the owner's wife (who was serving us at this stage) invited us into the kitchen to watch Tony making it - what an experience!!!

Definitely a favourite place on our holiday, and will be making sure we always pop in when driving through Havelock!!!!

Tracy C, Owner at The Mussel Pot, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

It was lovely to see you visit us again and to meet your husband on this visit. I'm glad you enjoyed watching Tony make the gelato. As you can appreciate now there is a big difference in what we term as artisan gelato and just gelato. There is a lot of work in preparing the fresh fruit but as you tasted well worth the effort.
You both looked great in your hair nets and aprons and I hope you will upload the photos onto our facebook page.
Have a wonderful time for the rest of your time in New Zealand and we hope to see you when you visit Havelock again.