“OK”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clogher
Northern Ireland
“OK”
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I have been to this hotel for a number of weddings, the most recent being a couple of weeks ago.

The surroundings of the hotel are very picturesque and have great views. The hotel itself is divided into the old original part with lots of antiques and character and the new part that is recently built and up to date. We have only stayed in the new part and it is finished to a high standard with very nice rooms.

The only downside to the premises are the yards around the rear of the building, parts of which can be seen from the rooms, where piles of empty bottles seem to be kept, with others being stored in old oil drums, as well as other debris and rubbish lying around. It gives the place a bit of an untidy feel. We also noticed bottles in some of the flower beds that had not been cleared from previous nights. However, the area with the sun room and patio are very nice and this is where we tended to spend most of our time.

Service is quite good, with the manager and staff being friendly and helpful. The girl who I believe is the owner's daughter is very pleasant and efficient and helps with the running of the wedding. The owner herself seems to be a bit less friendly and doesn't come across too well, we have heard some stories of the owner being awkward towards people planning weddings, and trying to increase prices that have previously been agreed, fortunately the rest of the staff are more friendly.

The food at the wedding meals has been very good, and the offering of seconds is a nice touch, everyone was very well fed. The breakfast the next morning was unfortunately not to the same standard, with service being slow and the cooked breakfast being very limited and overcooked, not up to the standard you would expect for £100 per room for B&B.

So, overall, I would say that the setting is good for a wedding as it is quiet and picturesque, and the evening meals are good, there are just a few rough edges that could maybe be worked on for future to make the overall experience a bit better.

• Stayed June 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
N.Ireland
Reviewed March 15, 2009

We stayed at the Corick House for one night as we were attending a family function being held there.
Although there is some construction work being carried out, our stay was unaffected. This is a hidden gem in the Tyrone countryside.
Check in was effortless and efficient and was followed by a brief explanation of directions to our room, evening dining and breakfast times.
We were in the new wing of the hotel and our room was large, comfortable, clean and well equipped.
The room laid aside for this small function was equipped with bar and during the evening a good selection of food was served effortlessly.
Breakfast next morning was excellent
The staff here really make the place, all seemed to be well trained, courteous and nothing was any effort to them. Smiles all round from them too.
We certainly recommend Corick House and hope to stay again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank annenpete
Belfast
Reviewed January 7, 2009

My husband and I have been going to Corick House for over 7 years now. We spent our Honeymoon there and had a wonderful time. We now go as often as we can, if just for weekend breaks during the year and we now spend our summer holidays there, to include our weddinng anniverserys as well. I must say that we have always been treated with great respect by the staff and the family members. We have stayed in both the old and new wing of the house and each has been a pleasure. The rooms are serviced on a daily basis and are always spotless. The food is wonderful especailly the breakfast, after which having eaten sets you up for the day. The evening meals are of a very high standard and the menu and wine list is extensive. Many of our friends have stayed as well and each have said how much they enjoyed the experience and will be back. The surrounding area is outstaning and the views are just wonderful. There is so much to do and see.

• Liked — The attention to detail
  • Disliked — Could find nothing to complain about.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank happyBelfast
Northern Ireland
Reviewed December 22, 2008

Two of our Daughters have held their Wedding Receptions at Corick as have several of our friends.
This is a well run family hotel with members of the family always present. This makes such a difference from the standard "run of the mill" hotel one tends to get nowadays.
The Hotel was a Country House prior to becoming an Hotel. Because of this, the bedrooms in the original part are large and with so much more character than the modern rectangular room one gets nowadays. The Hotel does have a modern wing, but we have not stayed in it. Why miss out on character!!!
The Hotel currently only permit one wedding a day and I hope this continues. All the staff attention is directed towards the wedding. Service has always been excellent with food served on hot plates. This is one of the few places that always offer "seconds" at every wedding. Many of our friends from Belfast and further afield had never been offered extra food at a wedding before.
We have also visited their resturant on many occasions and always been impressed by the menu and food.
Corick House is excellent value for money with a great family atmosphere. The staff are always wiling to "have a chat"
Ian & Renate

• Liked — Different from normal
  • Disliked — Not well enough known - yet
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank IanRen
Omagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2008

I had the pleasure of staying at Corick House during September for a conference. On arrival I was greeted by a very professional member of staff who showed me to the meeting room, quickly and efficiently. Although checkin was at 3pm, I asked if I could book in early as I had lots of baggage and I didn't want to leave it in my car. This was no problem and I was booked in immediately and my bags taken to the room. The decor was modern and the room had all the facilities a business traveller would require including internet access.

The conference facilities were excellent , refreshments and lunch were delicious. We dined that evening in the restuarant and although we had booked it for 12 delegates, another 6 joined us and that was no problem at all to the staff. We chose from the A la carte menu, which was extensive and we were spoilt for choice. The meal was outstanding and the service was faultless. We all retired to the comfort of the bar and lounge areas and enjoyed the craic of the friendly bar staff.

The hotel is very unique and caters for tastes to suit the modern traveller and for weekend breaks, as it is filled with character and charming antiques. The gardens are mature, with a lovely walled garden and fountain, which we all enjoyed walking around after the conference.

Our company will be using this hotel in the near futue for a much larger corporate event and have already recommended it to several other business contacts.

• Liked — small, friendly, charming hotel filled with ambience and character
  • Disliked — No spa facilities.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ldandersen2016
Oxford, England
Reviewed July 9, 2008

The Corick House is in a beautiful location with lovely walled gardens and far-reaching views. Internally it is furnished with antiques and this includes the traditional bedrooms. Apparently modern bedrooms are also available. However the problem is the service, or should I say lack of service.

When we arrived and asked whether any rooms were available, after checking the diary, the receptionist then had to go and check the rooms were made up. En route to the bedrooms we noticed advertisements for “Fathers Day lunch” despite this having taken place several weeks earlier. Despite all their publicity materials the restaurant was not open on Monday evening. On returning from dinner elsewhere there was no-one in reception and after waiting for a long time we had to telephone the hotel in order to get someone to come to reception to give us our keys! We were asked what time we would like breakfast (see below). On reaching the room a light bulb wasn’t working, it took 2 hours to arrive.

In the morning when we came down to breakfast a different receptionist was very surprised to see us as she didn’t think anyone was staying in the hotel. She then proceeded to cook breakfast for us. Whilst waiting for breakfast a gentleman who had been waiting in reception came and asked us whether there were any staff in the hotel. We told him the receptionist was in the kitchen and he went in to find her. They then proceeded to walk round the hotel looking for something so we had quite a wait for our food. In all the other hotels we stayed in in Northern Ireland we were always asked if our breakfast was OK, did we want more tea, toast etc. but this did not happen here.

On returning to the hotel after being out for 8 hours we were told our rooms had not yet been made up and could they do them now. It was later that we noticed the biscuits and milk on the tea tray were beyond their “use by” dates by about 3 months.

On going into an almost empty restaurant at 7.30pm we were asked whether we had booked a table, which we had. We were then ushered out of the restaurant into the bar. When we were ready to order the owner of the hotel (I assume) SAT DOWN with us to take the order. She then immediately got back up again and said she had to take another order through to the kitchen as the “chef gets very irate if he gets 2 chits at once”. When she came back she commented on the out of date biscuits which she said she would have eaten and that the girl who did the rooms needed glasses to check the dates. Another couple who were staying in the hotel that evening were not recognised as guests.

When our table was supposedly ready we were taken through to the restaurant to find it situated in a drafty doorway leading to the bar and conservatory despite the restaurant still being empty. Also there were only 2 chairs for 3 of us.

For dessert the strawberry cheesecake was more like a mousse on a biscuit base and the pavolva was uncooked egg white. When we complained about the pavlova the owner told us this was how it was made in Northern Ireland and she got someone from another table to join in the conversation. When the coffee arrived we asked for cups. These were apparently not on the table as “there was not enough room”. Later when we noticed there was no milk the waiter said “as well!” as if we should not want both cups and milk!

There was a lack of hot water for baths, but this was made up for the fact that my sink had 2 hot taps and no cold. Many of the fire exits are blocked by tables and chairs and one from the first floor of the old building is covered in broken glass, so remember to put your shoes on if the fire alarm goes off!

I thought maybe the hotel just concentrated on weddings and functions rather than individual guests but having read the other review on this website I’m not so sure about that. Certainly a function room was not cleared until the following day and also I was the one who held open the front door for some elderly people arriving for a function.

Certainly this hotel does not represent the standard of service that all the other hotels we stayed at in Northern Ireland provided. It is such a shame because of its lovely internal decoration and setting. Perhaps someone else could take over the management as there isn't any at the moment

• Liked — Location, decoration and gardens
  • Disliked — Lack of service
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Amanda W
Dungannon
Reviewed January 26, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for my daughter's small family wedding.

The service during the day at the bar was terrible. We had a member of staff that basically barked at you when you placed an order.
At one point the staffed carried a battered old settee through the room we were sitting in.

At the wedding meal it was so bad that we are still waiting to be served our tea & coffee!!!

The evening reception was in a small function room in the new part of the building the foyer of which had lights that were on a sensor and as you walked through it the lights kept going out.
An elderly lady guest fell on the steps. Luckily she was not injured just a bit starled . The function room had no toilets beside it and everyone had to trek up and down the corriders to go the nearest toilets. It was very strange.

Our room was in the old part of the house which is listed and I respect that the windows cannot be replaced but they can be kept in good repair and draft proofed.

It was a very windy night and the windows rattled and banged all night the pillows were just hard lumps and I had no sleep at all.

The next morning we had no hot water there was only a bath in our room and a hand held shower attachment to wash your hair
At this point I give up and just wanted to go home.

Several guests complained about the rooms being cold that night

The final insult came as we were packing the car in preparation for handing in our keys to the front desk
The girl in the office shouted out across the room which had other guests in it that we had an outstanding bill to pay before we disappeared off.

I was insulted and embrassed.

I went to pay her and told her firmly that i had no intention of not paying by bill and what she had just done was not good practice.

Unforunately I was very upset and I told her what I thought of the previous days service at the wedding which I had not really wanted to do, as my daugher had arranged the wedding herself and I did not wish to take away from her day in any way as she had enjoyed her wedding day.

This dispute was purely between the staff member and myself no one else.

But as my daughter was leaving the premises they took it aupon themselves to inform her that I had not been happy with the previous day. It really upset her!!!

It was nothing to do with my daughter and it was totally out of order.

I have since phoned and expressed my total disappointment in there lack of management skills. This should not have happened.

This type of thing does not help the hotel industry in northern Ireland at all.
I shall not be back

• Stayed January 2008
6 Thank Irenest
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clogher
The Valley Hotel
Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
The Enniskillen Hotel
The Enniskillen Hotel
#6 of 7 in Enniskillen

Been to Corick House? Share your experiences!