2,299 results
All reviews ocean view hemingways restaurant screened in porch full kitchen grocery store washer and dryer an umbrella rum punch hobie cats coral gardens beautiful beach paddle boards beach staff other resorts on site restaurant living room rented a car
Selected filters
Reviewed February 2, 2015

My wife's mother died 2 days before our trip. I called to cancel and request a refund on our deposit. I was told that no refund for our deposit would be granted, but that we could reschedule for another stay within the next 6 months (but that we had to reschedule before our check-in date). Needless to say, my wife was in no shape to reschedule a vacation a day after her mother died.

Absolutely unbelievably bad customer service! Even the airline refunded our money based on their bereavement policy. THE AIRLINE! But not the Sands at Grace Bay - oh no, not the precious Sands at Grace Bay. "Your mother died? TOO BAD! Thanks for the thousands of dollars you saved for months and months to come enjoy our hotel. Enjoy the funeral instead."

And then, to top it off, I get an email from them thanking me for my stay at their hotel and asking me to review them on TripAdvisor. Talk about out of touch with their customers - just horrible. So, Sands, here's my review per your emailed request.

34  Thank 974krc
Reviewed January 29, 2015

Stayed here for four nights in august of 2014 with my wife for my 40th birthday. We had an awesome stay. It is very centrally located. You can borrow a bicycle to ride to the grocery store and can walk just about anywhere along the beach very easily. Staff is unbelievably helpful and friendly. The rum punch in the lobby is great! Already planning a trip for next year.

Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hatchie87
Reviewed January 26, 2015

This was my 2nd stay at the Sands. I was very happy with 1st stay, room was very nice. Not so much this time. Shortly after checking in on 1-10-15 we called front desk and asked for the manger to request a change of room. We were told the Manger was unavailable and they would get back to us regarding our request. Three additional calls to front desk went unreturned. We had multiple issues with the room, very dated and poorly maintained, mattress was sagging in middle, noise from adjoining room was loud and AC didn't work for most of the week. Will no longer be recommending the Sands.
Richard, MA

13  Thank Walpolerich
Reviewed January 24, 2015

We enjoyed 9 nights at the Sands. We had our own apartment /condo type set-up. The buildings are only three stories high so its actually not a huge property. Our housekeeping staff did a great job keeping the room in order. So you got a condo stay with hotel amenities.

The hotel also included all the water toys for free to play with at the beach. that was great. but actually playing in the sand was fine too!!! perfectly located to access the attractions and features of Grace Bay. We rented a vehicle but you probably would be fine without one. Our family of six oldest kid 14 down to 7 really enjoyed the resort.

It wasn't crowded and it wasn't over run with too many families that made it hard to relax and enjoy.The service around the beach and pool could have been better. Its actually the only negative thing I can say about our stay. And its probably the reason i am giving our rating a 4 instead of a 5.

The grounds and pool are well kept. The property is very clean. As for our room. At first i thought i was going to be disappointed by staying in building one. Farthest from the beach. But we got a full view of the beach with no obstructions in our way!!!! It was amazing. We stayed in room 1304 - two bedroom condo with a full view of beach. 1305 and 1306 have the same views as well!!!

We had to walk up two flights of stairs but we did not mind at all. The view was worth it. But if the stairs matter to you, make sure to request ground level.

The restaurant on the property, Hemmingway's, was good. The service and food were very good. It wasn't the best restaurant on the island but i have nothing negative to say about it.

Overall we would stay again at Sands as the resort was well maintained and perfect for our family.

Room tip: If you don't get beach front building One has the best ocean views!!! Room 1304 - two bedroom condo was awesome
2  Thank vincentfF5687HZ
Reviewed January 21, 2015

Just got back from The Sands at Grace Bay. The grounds were beautiful! The pool and all over the hotel itself was very clean.We stayed in the garden view room it was clean large and had a wonderful screened in balcony that over looked the hotel grounds and we could see the ocean. Room had med frig,dishes and microwave.Every staff member was very friendly. We ate at the Hemmingways restaurant and the food was all very good $$-$$$.recommend the steak and club sandwich. I would highly recommend renting a car to explore the island, go to the Price club grocery store(cheapest groceries) and to go shopping or to other restaurants.Taxis are crazy high.Go to the Caicos bakery (5 mins)we would eat lunch there(Quiches,fruit tartars or jello donuts and water) for under 20.00 for 3 adults. We have been to many islands and this one stood out to us because we found the locals originals or transplants to be so friendly. We we escorted 4 times by locals that saw we were looking lost,even from the airport to our hotel? Turks and Cacois has the lowest crime rate of all the islands.We felt completely safe at all times. We didn't see any real poverty.They don't even have an island jail,criminals are shipped to Jamaican. Grace Bay beach was clean and the water was a beautiful clear blue. It had more surf then I expected but not to much. I would recommend Coral gardens for snorkeling. Recommend going to the Thursday fish fry on the island music,food and vendors selling things. Avoid Miami airport at all cost!!

Room tip: The garden room was perfect no need in my opinion to pay any more.Keep in mind theres is only an elevators in one building. We were on the 3 floor which have 4 flights of stairs. It was good exercise.
3  Thank Michelle M