“If you have to fly, you may as well reduce the pain ....”
Review of WestJet

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After retirement, and having to pay my own way to fly; it was really difficult to accept the treatment accorded by airlines to economy class passengers. Everything from initial booking through airport check in and security to boarding and carry-on handling is done with passenger comfort and convenience being the lowest priority.
Once boarded, the economy passenger finds seats that are far less comfortable and which provide far less personal space than those on older aircraft. No longer are a selection of hot and cold meals served on chinaware available— but rather stale, flavourless sandwiches and tapas are now served at ridiculously inflated cost. Beyond a small selection of water, coffee, tea and soft drinks offered at no charge; alcoholic beverages are sold with only ice and less than a half can of carbonated soda.
While Westjet is forced to lower its standards to these minimalist levels in order to remain competitive, at least they do so with courtesy and good humour. Their staff are almost without exception friendly and empathetic to the frustrations of their clientele.
Westjet has done a commendable job of delivering entertainment via on board WiFi to personal cellphone, tablet and laptop devices at no charge.
Their aircraft are well maintained, clean and the air handling equipment provides a comfortable temperature controlled environment. The Westjet fleet is continually upgraded with new aircraft, but this is in itself a problem as manufacturers such as Boeing have reduced passenger space and seat comfort to increase seat counts and reduce weight.
In summary, Westjet on this trip provided great service with friendly staff at a competitive price ... but, in keeping with industry standards, did very little to improve customer comfort or convenience. Flying is no longer an experience to be looked forward to.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (9,970)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

When it comes to trusting airlines, WestJet is my go to. They go above and beyond customer service on the ground, in the air and on the phone. Planes are always clean and I am kept up to date with any flight notices. 12hrs before my flight I misplaced my passport at a store that was now closed. My flight was leaving at 9am and the store didnt open until 10am. I panicked of course. I gave WestJet a call, explained what happened and the lady was able to change my flight to later that day free of charge. Customer service has died with many companies but not with WestJet.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After flying Porter recently to Montreal with both to and fro endlesssly DELAYED (the weather was not an issue), I chose WESTJET for a flight to Halifax. The price was the lowest and thought I would give it a go. Aside from the fact the walk to the gate at Terminal 3 seemed endless, I was delighted that my flights were wonderfully efficient on both ends. Both took off and landed on time and proceeded right to the gate. My experience on Air Canada is that there are usually waits at Pearson once landed to proceed to the gate. One last note - the landing in Halifax was so smooth one hardly even knew the plane touched down!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was my 1st trip to Turks, my boyfriend & I were celebrating an anniversary & birthday so I decided to pay the $25ea. to have great seats on our way to the Islands. We checked in and upon boarding the plane and finding our seats I realized that the seats on our boarding passes were not the ones I had requested. I asked the flight attendant and he said there was nothing he could do and I would have to contact WestJet upon my return back to Canada.

Very disappointed that they couldn't accommodate us as this was the only leg of the flight(s) I pre-booked for. When I returned home I did call and explained that I was unhappy with the service. WestJet refunded my $50 (the pre-booking) fee but nothing else. I suggested a small travel credit, but they were not accommodating.

Also be sure to check if the aircraft you are booked on has In Flight Entertainment. I have an ipad by my spouse does not. You can not rent then from WestJet.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This flight was the longest ever 6.5 hour crossing of the Atlantic Ocean. The flight was late leaving, and the flight attendants were just going through the motions and looked like they just did not want to be there.My biggest beef with Westjet is that on such a long flight they only offer you cookies/peanuts and a glass of water,soda pop or juice. If you want something better to eat, you have to pay for it. This is nothing but a money grab. The CEO of Westjet should be ashamed of himself treating customers the way they do. At one time Westjet was the way to fly but not anymore.
On a recent 2 1/2 hour flight with TAP Air Portugal from Gatwick to Porto, Portugal we were given a box lunch and wine. Why is it that TAP Air Portugal, on such a short flight, can treat their customers properly, while Westjet, on a much longer flight, could not care less about their customers. Please Westjet, improve your service and stand out from the crowd as I know a good Canadian company can do.