“Pleasurable Flight JFK to Heathrow”
Review of Virgin Atlantic Airways

Reviewed January 11, 2018 via mobile

This was my first time flying Virgin Atlantic. Note: in economy it costs extra to reserve seats unless you wait until 24 hours before the flight. I wasn’t about to pay an extra $40 for each seat so we took our chances and were poised and ready exactly 24 hours prior to confirm our flight and select/change seats. We ended up in row 60 something, which was fine. Have your passport info ready when you check in online for international flights.

We were able to request vegetarian and gluten free meals in advance of the flight. Don’t wait too long to request specialized meals if needed. There were many different selections to suit dietary needs. Specialized meals are also served first during meal service and you get a free alcoholic beverage with meals. The meals were tasty and filling.

The trip to Heathrow was great. The check in process at JFK went smoothly and the attendants looked smashing in their red uniforms. Upon entering the plane each seat had a blanket and, for the overnight flight, a small bag with sleep mask, tooth brush, tooth paste and socks. They also supplied head phones.

There are screens on the back of the seats for inflight movies and TV. I can’t sleep on planes so I binged watched movies all night. The screens aren’t far from your face so it caused a bit of eye strain but so does using my smartphone.

On the return flight the airplane was definitely older and a little more tired looking. The top of my arm rest kept falling off. No problems with baggage for connecting flights.

Overall we enjoyed our flights and I will definitely use this airline again.

• Value for money
Write a ReviewReviews (12,995)

Reviewed January 11, 2018 via mobile

Good service , but little confusing about baggage weight my flight was connecting with fly Dubai to Kathmandu anyway they take time to shut out the problem

1  Thank nkdhakal
Reviewed January 11, 2018

The check in at OR Thambo was flawless on 7 Dec. . The plane was clean and everything was good. We received a travel pack in economy class which was very handy. The dinner was not great but the breakfast was ok. The flight attandents were friendly. The seats were hard and the lady next to me also mentioned to me the next morning that her seat was hard and uncomfortable.This makes an eleven hour flight very long and tiring. What was disturbing was that the flight attendants walked through the cabin often after lights off offering water or juice in a not so soft tone of voice waking me every time. The tiny packet of sweets to suck before landing was a lovely gesture. Checking into Heathrow was bliss - no queue at all - first time ever. My flight back on VS 601 from London to Johannesburg was much better. That was on 4 Jan. Check-in was quick and easy. The cabin staff were super friendly and helpful. The plane was clean. The seats were softer and dinner was absolutely delicious! Compliments from passengers all round. Breakfast on the other hand was not very good. We did not get a travel pack on this flight and upon my querie, was told that a survey was done and that passengers did not want/use them - therefore it was not given. I was then given a toothbrush though. (Upon disembarking, I noticed that the Premium economy passengers did in fact receive a travel pack - some were lying around). Travel packs should be on offer to all passengers and one should be able to use it if it is your preference - why not offer it like all the other stuff passing on a trolly and allow passengers in all classes to choose then there will be less wastage. No sweets to suck during landing on this flight. Virgin’s direct flight to London is a great time saver even if it is not the cheapest option. I will definitely fly Virgin again and bring my own mask, toothbrush and socks if I must.

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed January 11, 2018

We flew Virgin Atlantic on Christmas night, heading to London for a visit with friends and family. This was the first time flying on Virgin Atlantic and all I can say is what took me so long! The plane was spotless and the crew was friendly and very helpful. Those of us in coach even received an amenities kit, complete with ear plugs, mask, tooth brush, tooth paste, socks and a pen. What a surprise! Dinner l was actually tasty. Entertainment options were varied and good. I will most definitely be flying Virgin Atlantic again!

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed January 11, 2018 via mobile

Wow! Just wow! Our first time on the Dreamliner and it didn’t disappoint! Total comfort for 11 and a half hours!! Great movies and the food was good for plane food ( who actually says they enjoy plane food?! ) the cabin crew that worked on our section were super lovely! Considering the girls in front were complete morons! They handled everything with a smile and a not a problem! Great experience!!

Date of travel: November 2017