“Mixed bag of entertainment offerings.”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

All things on time and as expected. Transfers made easily. On the flight to Boston/Halifax we had great movie options for the screen in front of our seats. On the return, no such luck. It seemed they expected downloadable options good enough - but I didn't have an ipad, and don't watch movies on my tiny little smart phone . Just read my kindle instead.

Date of travel: August 2019
    • Check-in and boarding
Write a reviewReviews (46,299)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

There is a caveat to this review because our small town is serviced by a United partner Sky West which changes the dynamics to traveling by air. Our flight out of Las Vegas was delayed because the connecting flight into Las Vegas due to severe weather...not United's fault. Our flight landed in Denver just as our flight home was closing boarding. The flight crew asked passengers to allow those of us on tight connections to leave the plane first, but it seems that nearly every passenger must have had a tight connection because they stood up in mass and blocked the aisle. Again not United's fault. After leaving the plane, we literally ran the length of the B Concourse to try and make our flight...from Gate 30 to Gate 86. Just short of our gate, the last call for boarding our flight was announced. At Gate 86 we found that the flight was at Gate 94. A little more running to find the ground crew was at the door waiting for us to arrive. They had delayed the flight for us. Say what you want about living in flyover country, but if that had been a flight to a major airport, we would have been looking for a different flight home. Thanks to all the United employees for going the extra mile.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Headed to Ohio from home in New Mexico for birth of first grandchild. With assistance in planning from a very good OBGYN we booked two months in advanced, Tracked weather for a week prior to departure. Received notice from United Airlines on day prior and on date of departure that our flights were "on schedule". Up at 0300, arrived at airport in Hobbs, New Mexico at 0500; all is well. Small regional airport with only one carrier (United) and currently only one destination (Houston). But it is closest to home in Carlsbad and that home for us now!

My wife and I boarded the plane at 0530 hours for 0600 departure; all is well. At 0610 we are directed to deplane due to two hour "hold" issued by Houston's, George Bush Int. Airport. Knowing we had a tight schedule and that the only flights from Hobbs are United, and that they only fly to Houston, we asked United ramp/gate attendant about options/alternate airports (i.e. Midland, El Paso, Roswell,Lubbock) that may have flights that do not have to pass thru Houston. She proudly informed me that "this flight is going to Houston" it will just be a short delay. Two hours later the same attendant announced that the "hold" in Houston was now a "ground stop" but not to worry, she had checked the radar in Houston and "everything will be cleared-up in the next 30 minutes".

It is now 0835, if flight leaves in next 30 minutes, with calculated flight-time in mind, we will still miss our connecting flight. When I inquire about this situation where we may not be able to get to Columbus before our granddaughter arrives the same United attendant told us not to worry because all flights were being held-up so our connection would still be made. Been flying for 50 years, that just sounded wrong.

At this time we asked to be re-booked out of another airport and was informed, once again, "this flight is going to Houston" and then she added "and all connecting flights would be rescheduled" and not to worry. An hour later the same attendant announced yet again that the ground stop in Houston was still in effect.

At this time a passenger in front of me asked if he could drive to, and get on another United flight from, Lubbock or Midland, TX. "I'm sorry sir, all of those flights are now full"; obviously the 20-30 passengers that hadn't trusted her earlier had re-booked themselves and left Hobbs over an hour ago. When I asked her what she could do to help me and my wife she replied, "noting"; you will just have to wait here.

Knowing that there were no other flights for today from Hobbs I asked about getting reservations for the next day, just in case she was wrong and this flight was not going o Houston today. "Sorry, all flights for tomorrow are fully booked". The guy sitting next to my wife stated as he was preparing to exit, "yep, just booked the last seat for tomorrow myself; see ya". When we asked if we could just cancel our flight and get our baggage off the plane the same attendant (clearly the one in charge) stated, "well if you want to but we are not refunding your tickets because we haven't canceled this flight".

I explained to her that she obviously did not totally grasp the concept of "flight", that being an aircraft, in the air, headed toward a destination. I further tried to explain that the "guarantees" of a flight going to Houston were not realistic and that we really just needed to get to Columbus, Ohio, not Houston. I again asked, "can you please check and see what is available from some other airport?" "I can not" was all we got. By now a very nice TSA agent came over and in almost a whisper (as if somewhat intimidated by the United employee) stated, "this happens all the time here", and went on to suggest we call another airline and try El Paso or Roswell.

We canceled. It took another hour for United to get us our luggage and four hours to drive to El Paso, TX where American Airlines had some lovely first class seats available and waiting to fly us to Columbus, Ohio. Long day but thanks to American Airlines we made it in time to see our son and daughter-in-law before she went into labor.

Many of us on this site travel frequently and understand, you can't control the weather but that is no excuse for not trying to help your passengers. Not that it makes a real difference but I find it somewhat humorous now, we are actually United Airlines Elite Level Frequent Flyers. Safe trips to all and remember, life is much more entertaining when you travel and you really cannot make this stuff up.

1  Thank timothy t
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I was pretty impressed with United. Polaris business class on the 787 was very good, and the staff were friendly and helpful

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

United really seem to be trying and they are now good at communicating on the ground and by text etc. Food is standard airline fayre but it does the job. Premium Economy seats do give you that little extra space and that is always good. Silver status on the frequent flyer status is not easy to get for a UK but is worth having. Overall this is my airline of preference when visiting the US as they have a comprehensive timetable and good times