“Big drop in standard this flight”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

From the beginning of the flight the on board staff were packing attitude. Very abrupt, not nice in asking questions, commanding, just not courteous. No real smiles at all just that fake one that is so patronising. This was a mixed staff some from New Jersey and some English. It seems to me it was the Jersey crew that were the worst by far. I am American by the way so know bias here. Meals weren't as good either and it hasn't been that long since I flew with them. All and all I was so disappointed and the return was no better.

1  Thank PDWood79
Write a reviewReviews (46,484)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I am a frequent United flyer but this was my first experience in United Premium Plus (not Economy Plus). Large displays, expanded seating across. This was a pleasant surprise as I had to double pinch myself.

But the same below standard food served here as in Economy Plus and Economy. My comparison is not because I am some gourmet but because of comparison with other Economy services.

If United does not feel that it should care about food, then at least if you are going to have superior seating, at least have the option to upcharge on the food.

And you can't bring 3 meals purchased from the airport on a 14 hour flight (you can bring one meal). The midflight snack was literally a roll with a slice of turkey slammed on it.

If this is the quality of catering (likely worst of any first world airline) both in type and amount of food, then at least give us the option of purchasing something better on-line and then stock it on the aircraft and we will gladly pay the $50 upcharge instead of eating this agan

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I would strongly advise people to avoid flying the Basic Fare if you are flying with family and want to be seated together. My research and experience showed that they split families on purpose probably for the revenue. When we have traveled on Spirit Airlines (whose basic fare United is trying to copy), we were always seated consecutively. We were never separated! My flight back from honolulu was awful. I kept an eye on the United Flight seat availability throughout my vacation. Right before the 24 hr Checking in period started, there were a bunch of seats throughout the plane that can seat three people together. To make sure our group of three could be seated together, I checked into United as soon as the check in opened. However, we were each assigned middle seats on different rows randomly throughout the plane. Even after checking in, the seats next to me and my family members were empty and finally was given to other passengers a few hours later. I couldnt believe that despite having three seats in a row at the start of the check in 24 hr window, United saved the window and aisle seats . I have flown on Spirit and Frontier (basic fare airlines) and they both have tried to seat families even to the point of asking passengers willing to move to keep families together. Sadly, with United I would suggest pay for the seats while buying the tickets but at that point, the base fare gets almost as high as just purchasing normal tickets with free carryon. When trying to board, it felt demeaning to be at the very last set of passengers boarding with the United gate staff being rude and inspecting our personal item very closely. I have never been treated this rudely in Spirit. If flying United with family or friends, just get regular tickets. Basic Fare Passengers are treated like second class citizens. If you are a lone traveler, that can fit everything in one personal item, go for the base fare. United Staff are sticklers to measure baggage. I have never had Spirit Airlines staff measure even some people's extra large bags. Yes Spirit charges extra for things but thats how the whole airline operates. However United trying to copy spirit has not been a good experience for me. The few times I was desperate enough to try to use United Base fare, our family was always separated.

Date of travel: October 2018
1  Thank Chicagogal60601
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The staff at the airport was rude and arrogant. A woman pulled me and another family out of line after we had been waiting for more than 45 minutes to get past then initial security check, saying that we had cut under a security rope. None of us had cut under the rope. I'm still not sure what she saw. I wrote the airline to have them review it but have only received automated response back. We were treated horribly and I'll not fly United again. In addition, I own non-profit that often flies victims of human trafficking and will choose to fly them on other airlines until I get an apology from United. I am shocked to be treated this way by United Airlines.

Date of travel: August 2019
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Chicago O’Hare will require more than 2 hours to pass through customs and security and connect with a domestic flight. Construction of a new train connector has required a bus ride from international terminal to a domestic airline. TSA personnel numbers have also been reduced and diverted to the southern US order as part of homeland security. Security is a longer wait than predicted by earlier schedules. Give yourself 2.5 to 3 hours at Chicago for the flight layover.