“No Issues”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed January 18, 2018

United is the only airline that I can fly from St George, UT to Hartford, CT and only make one stop. This is a great service, I just have to change planes in Denver. I just wish they offered this flight more than once per day. It saves me from having to go out of Las Vegas, which is a 3 hour drive from my home.
The flight was on time and the crew were polite. I was very pleased.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (34,605)

Reviewed January 18, 2018

There were several unfortunate complications to this flight. First, my wife was apparently "randomly selected" at check in for additional screening. (In Quito, there was no TSA Pre either, which was to be expected.). Upon completion of the screening, the staff neglected two things. One, they neglected to check her on board the plane. This made it very confusing when we got to Houston and had to check into our connecting flight. In Houston, United's computer had no record of my wife actually being ON the flight from Quito (though she had checked in). They basically forgot to scan her ticket at the gate in Quito.

Secondly, "SSSSSS" was printed on her boarding pass, which was the indicator for the additional screening. When the screening was completed, the local staff were supposed to mark (say win red across the SSSS) that they had, in fact, performed the screening. They did not do that either. So when in Houston, the connecting flight gate staff noted that a) my wife had technically NOT been on the first flight and b) had not been appropriately screened. Thus, my wife had to be escorted back to the TSA area for the screening, which as some might know, is a very detailed task, complete with a "pat down".

At this point, we had already missed our connecting flight (more on that in a second), so it was not a big issue, yet it certainly was disconcerting and annoying to have to go through this.

And why had we missed our connection you ask? Well, our flight from Quito had boarded and the doors were closed. The plane never moved and then the doors opened, staff boarded and announced that they were in an over sold situation. They looked for 6 pax who might be willing to get off in exchange for an $800 voucher, etc. No one got up. When they upped it (quite quickly in fact) to $1,000, they got their willing pax. But their luggage was still on the plane, so that had to be found and removed. Our flight was supposed to depart at 1:30 am. It was delayed over an hour. I had made a tight connection in Houston anyway, so by the time we got through customs, past TSA (the real bottleneck) and to our gate, the doors had closed on our flight so we were toast. Regardless if we had been on time, we had that first hiccup that resulted in Quito that I doubt they would have let us on the plane anyway. opting for another TSA screening first.

The REAL reason for the oversold situation in Quito was weight. Quito is at 9,000 feet so take off weight had to be closely monitored. United loaded everyone, did their calculations, and went "oh, oh.... We gotta lighten up". I sort of get it, as UA doesn't really know how much is on board until it is, in fact, on board. (Luggage, passenger weight, etc.). Regardless, you think they would have had enough experience with this flight to anticipate that issue. Oh, well. We finally got home to the Bay Area, but had to go all the way to Portland, OR to do so.

(We did not take the $1,000 offer, though we were tempted to do so. I had paid for an upgrade, and I wasn't sure how that would have transferred if we went the next day. Also, it is worth noting that the incoming flight attendant crew makes the return flight, and they had already been "on" for 5 hours and were looking at another 5 hours back. Thus, they were already beat by the time we boarded. Leaving at 1:30 AM, most people wanted to sleep, so I cannot really report on the service, because I was out by lift off. The only thing the "front of the plane" got me was more leg room.)

Reviewed January 18, 2018 via mobile

The pilot let us know right away that we were in for a bumpy ride. I appreciated knowing that right up front. He was right. It was very bumpy. The stewardess did a great job even with the bumps to keep us served and smiling. Thanks United - it was a long flight but you kept it friendly and I am happy to fly the friendly skies.

Reviewed January 18, 2018

On 01/04/2018 we were schooled to fly from Nice, France, to Frankfurt then on to Newark, NJ. While sitting in the airport in Nice we were notified that the flight to Newark had been canceled because of inclement weather. We decided to fly to Frankfurt anyway as that would only leave one leg to re-schedule.

When we arrived we went to the United customer service desk where the employee searched for 30 minutes for a way to get us home. He finally found a flight on Lufthansa through London but on the next day. He provided us with a voucher for a free stay at the airport hotel, vouchers for meals, and complete instructions for finding the shuttle and when to arrive back at the airport the next day. He even suggested we not try to retrieve our bags which had already been checked and made sure they would be transferred to the new flight.

We had no problems with the hotel or the transfer there and back and, except for approximately $25.00 for drinks, there was no out-of-pocket expense. I was greatly impressed and wish could go back and thank that man and tell him we had arrived home OK..

Reviewed January 17, 2018

I flew economy plus, which gives a little more leg room. Friendly staff. The flight, back from USA was better, but it was a night flight. Meals ok.