“Pleasant flight”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed November 19, 2017

Service and boarding process was smooth and trouble free. Living in Houston, I usually fly United. Typically they have good service. I have found if you are nice and respectful, you tend to get that treatment in return.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (32,859)

Reviewed November 19, 2017

Have endured several schedule changes without notification (discovered when I review my reservations on my Mileage Plus account). I called the Premier Gold line and they answered immediately---WOW that was different as you usually have to wait 5 to 30 minutes to reach an agent! The lady (Alisa) who took my call couldn't have been nicer, more professional or more helpful---she was tremendous. She identified the options available, immediately booked the revised flights, and assured we had acceptable seats for our lengthy travels.
What a fantastic experience given this day and age of air travel! Thanks Alisa and thank you United.

Reviewed November 19, 2017

On Wednesday, Nov 01, we flew from Knoxville (TYS) to Newark (EWR) on United flight UA2408, on an A-320 (#4247), in FC, in seats 2 E&F. We fly out of TYS often, but usually to either Washington/Dulles (IAD), or Chicago O’Hare (ORD), and always on a small EMB-145. We had just flown into TYS from IAD, on such a plane. Because of all of my past bookings, I did not even realize that instead of United Express, we were flying a United flight, and on the A-320. Usually, I am meticulous in charting the aircraft, but this trip to NYC was added into a much longer one, involving ORD, LHR, IAD, TYS, IAD, and finally home to PHX, and at the last minute too, when we found out that we needed to both extend the trip, and get to NYC for a couple of events. In my haste to make all of the changes, I did not pick up on the A-320. It did not even register, when I chose First Class (the EMB-145 is a one cabin class ship)! Well, here we were at TYS, awaiting our plane, and I noticed the A-320. I did not even realize that UA flew A-320's out of TYS, as I had never seen anything but the UAX EMB-145's. I will likely start connecting to TYS from EWR, to fly the larger plane?

After a nice little Breakfast at Ruby Tuesday, in the TYS airport, we headed to our assigned gate, 7. The incoming plane was delayed by weather at EWR, so we just settled in, and waited, but I did get a shoeshine in the main part of the terminal. The plane finally arrived, and boarding went very smoothly. We were glad that the delay was not very long, because our first event was that evening in downtown Manhattan, and it was black-tie.

This A-320 was one of those with the new FC seats (I think that the retro-fit upgrade is just about done, for the entire UA fleet?), which are very, very nice. Those seats are quite comfortable, have a granite-topped table on the podium, and I found out something new: there is an extension of that granite (though a level below the main one), that if one pushes in, will pop out. We had flown in the new seats for almost 2 years, and I had never bothered to push the bottom of the granite before. I was learning all sorts of things on this flight. Besides the two-level granite-topped table, these seats feature storage compartments all around – around the armrests, and the podium. Those compartments, however, can not be used during takeoff, or landing. The aisle armrest (seat E, in this case) also lifts up, to allow one to exit/enter the seat, with the tray table deployed. The recline is also different, than on most other UA FC seats, in that while pushing the recline button, on slides their posterior forward, and the seat reclines (do not lean back), with minimal impact on the passenger behind them. There is also a neat tablet holder, which pops up from the tray table, and as this flight had the UA free PDE (Personal Device Entertainment) system (plus WiFi, for a fee, it was useful to us.

This was the first UA flight, that I can recall over the last several years, which was not full, as there were probably a dozen seats in E/E+ empty. That is something I have not seen in a very long while – a seat here, or there, but this harkened back to the 1980's. Now, FC was full, but then there are only 3 rows of 2-2, so 12 FC seats. I did note that there were 27 people on the FC Upgrade list, and only 4 made it. Glad that we bought FC, as I doubt we would have gotten the upgrade, even with our status..

One nice feature on the UA A-320's is that there are coat hangers behind row 3, on the bulkhead between FC and E/E+, and with our overcoats, and my blazer, those came in handy.

The 2:00 hr flight (actual flight time = 1:46) was smooth. There was one pre-departure beverage service, and then one beverage + snack service. Now, I monitor the wines served on UA/UAX flights closely, and usually can guess which wines will be served, on which flights, before we board. On this flight, I was surprised to find a new Chardonnay, the Longford Estate Monterey County Chardonnay ‘14, which was nice. We had it for both pre-departure and in-flight. From the passed snack basket, my wife had the Deep River Kettle Chips, and I declined, to concentrate on my wine. One thing that I noticed was that though UA has been adding their new “stemless glasses,” we had the old, “Copita-style” glasses, which I thought had been given to UAX, when UA briefly replaced all of those, with taller stemmed glasses, which were quickly replaced by the stemless variety. Sort of a throwback, but I liked those older glasses, so not an issue.

Our Purser was very friendly, and did a good job working beyond our slight delay. We wanted for nothing, and were at the gate at EWR only a few minutes late. Our luggage was quick to arrive onto the carousel, and as our driver was waiting for us, we were off to the city, in time to change for the event. A nice flight, and I might well be taking it in the future, when we fly into to TYS to stay at Blackberry Farm.

1  Thank The_Loup_Garou
Reviewed November 18, 2017

On Friday, Oct 27, we flew UA4763 from Washington/Dulles (IAD) to Knoxville, TN (TYS) on an EMB-145XR (#N1113), operated by Trans-States Airlines, dba United Express). We had overnighted at the Embassy Suites Washington/Dulles, as we had arrived late from London, the night before, and were then taking a Noon flight to TYS.

The EMB-145 is a small, regional jet, and is a one-class cabin. We were in the Exit Row seats, 18C & D. This craft is configured 1-2, so a single row of seats on the port side of the plane, A, and then 2 seats on the starboard side, C&D. There are no B seats.

In the Exit Row, we had ample legroom, which was good, as this ship has no overhead bins on the port side, and all must fit into the small bins on the starboard side, or in the small area beneath the seat in front – much smaller area, than on, say a 737, or A-320.

While the seats are average in width, and pitch (except for Exit Row, which has much greater pitch), they are not all that comfortable. However, with a 2:12 hr (actual flying time is closer to 1:45) flight time, adequate.

One thing to make note of, is that the platform for the seats, is raised a few inches from the surface of the aisle floor, so one must step up, to get to the seats. Also, due to the size of the cabin, the overhead bins are fairly low. It’s common to see many passengers bang their heads – I know that I have, at least the first few times that I flew an EMB-145.

This flight was full, but it seemed that everyone had overhead bin space, though probably because the Gate Agents were gate-checking many rollaboards, especially the larger ones.

We flew out of Terminal A Gate 3A (was scheduled for Gate 6E), which feels like its almost an airport away. Concourse A serves mostly “commuter” craft, and we find the gate areas to be a bit spartan, and usually congested. As we have high status, we boarded right behind those passengers with disabilities, so were seated, and out of the way, about the time that Group 1 boarded.

Our flight was a bit bumpy, and especially as we approached TYS, as a weather front was approaching from the west. Otherwise, it was a great flight. Our FA was cheerful, and was able to get the single beverage service complete – on this flight, we have encountered several times, when it could not be completed, because of a bit of turbulence and also the very short duration of the flight.

We arrived a bit early at TYS, and were off to gather our luggage, and head into the mountains for a week at Blackberry Farm. We got there, just as that weather front hit. Good flight, and adequately comfortable for the short duration.

1  Thank The_Loup_Garou
Reviewed November 18, 2017

The business class seats on this Airbus 319 (two rows of two, for a total of eight) are comfortable and recline well. The service was friendly and I could even eat the food, which was a kale/spinach flan concoction. Although the crew announced they had forgotten the arrival forms everyone has to file on arrival, the flight attendant in business class had saved a few which she handed out to those of us at the front of the plane.