“Long Delays , No Communication”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed September 23, 2017

We took United Airlines Flight 472 from Detroit to San Francisco. There was a huge one hour delay to board and almost another one hour spent boarding and waiting on the plane before departing. Most of this time, until boarding, the status monitors gave no indication of the delay. This caused some of the passengers to miss their connecting flight. Overall , a very bad experience.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (32,856)

Reviewed September 23, 2017 via mobile

I overheard this conversation:
"Mam, there are twenty-eight people on this flight with the same connection. Do you hear me? TWENTY-EIGHT! NOW YOU JUST NEED TO SIT DOWN AND CHILL!" Interestingly enough the flight attendant was shouting but the passenger was not making any disturbance. We could not hear her at all. Then the flight attendants got really rude when insisting that some passengers check their bags. Not a pretty sight!

Reviewed September 23, 2017

Something is really wrong with United Airlines. They need to get their act together. This time I flew to Hong Kong from Newark and back. It's a 15 to 16 hour flight, depending on wind. They serve 2 meals - Dinner / Lunch and Breakfast. The meal served on the way to HK was ok but on the way back was horrible and nasty. You only have 2 options: 1) Chicken Over Rice OR 2) Pasta. I opted for Chicken over rice to get some protein. The chicken was so blend, I think they just put the whole thing in a boiler and took it out. The second meal had Eggs with Noodles, the noodles smelled so nasty that I almost threw up. I would recommend anybody travelling on any of United flights to pack your own meal. The meal they serve is just nasty.
About Music: I couldn't find Music on the Entertainment Console so I called the flight attendant, She said they don't have Music because they haven't renewed the contract with the music vendor. I was like.... whaaattt???? seriously!! I hope the pilot contracts are renewed!!! she started laughing.
My message to United: If you are reading this, PLEASE GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER, TAKE A CUE FROM THE WORLD'S BEST AIRLINES!!
THANK YOU.

Reviewed September 23, 2017

Flew out in the AM, stop-over in Chicago, with 2nd flight landing in Springfield, Missouri. Had 2 great flights, absolutely no issues whatsoever, and the bags arrived same time.

Reviewed September 23, 2017

On Monday, Sept 18, we were sitting in the United Club at LAX, waiting to take the last of four legs (2 each direction) home to Phoenix, after spending a long weekend in Las Vegas. We had used some of our United Regional Premier Upgrades to upgrade to FC, from our E+ tickets. That worked well for three of the legs, but we did not get upgraded on that morning’s LAS to LAX flight, but it was very short – about the same length of flight, as our LAX - PHX leg. During this long layover, we also did lunch in LAX T7, and even had time for a brew, at another T8 facility. In between, we returned to the UA Club for more wine!

Now, this trip was booked about 120 days out, so getting upgraded on three, out of four flights, is quite good, and especially flying on a Friday, and a Monday. What was not so good, is that about 30 days out, UA informed us that our LAX - PHX flight had been moved back about 4 hours, giving us a 6 hr layover at LAX... OK, we looked at all options, including flying to some far off airports, but everything was booked solidly. We looked at moving our LAS to LAX flight until later, but those were booked, until an evening flight, arriving at LAX too late to get to Phoenix that night. So, we were sitting at LAX, when we should have been heading to our flight and home before Noon, all the while complaining about the schedule change, and the six hr layover.

Well, that was until we were informed that our LAX - PHX plane was broken! We were to fly UA5512 on an EMB-175 (N151SY - the plane we took from PHX to LAX, only a few days before), but it was replaced by N163SY, brought in from SAT, and scheduled to go to SAN. Not sure how those folk were impacted.

We were at our designated gate, T8, Gate 87 (at the far end), ready to board, when the Gate Agent slowed things down. She indicated a “mechanical issue,” with a “delay.” That turned into an issue, as the issue could not be resolved. We were told to go to Gate 81 (at the near end of T8, but not that far), for instructions. At that time, our UA App, plus three other airline Apps gave us that same info. However, when we arrived at Gate 81, that agent told us to go back to Gate 87, as our flight was boarding. It was not. He insisted that we all go back, until my wife pulled him aside, and just showed him the directive and gate change from UA. He did not believe her, even when she showed him the same info on all other Apps, and insisted that we all go back. My wife whispered that he needed to call UA Ops, to get clarification. With reluctance, he did. Then, he announced that UA5512 would board after the current 737-900ER for HNL had departed. While a “thank you” would have been nice, having him give correct instructions was enough.

Our six hour “layover” stretched to eight hours! Since we had already been to the UA Club twice, and had done a late “Lunch,” we just stayed in the gate area, watching the HNL flight board, and depart, and finally, our “replacement” EMB-175 pull up.

Boarding was easy, as we have Priority Boarding, due to status, plus several UA branded credit cards. We were settled into our seats in First Class, Row 2 C&D, our favorite seats. I placed my wife’s wheeled briefcase into the overhead bin, and my small briefcase into the smaller bin, above the A seats (port side). A few of the folk in Row 1 (bulkhead) had larger carry-ons, but all was sorted out by the Flight Attendant, and we were about to complete boarding.

For pre-departure drinks, I went with Ginger Ale, since I had been drinking wine most of the afternoon. My wife opted for sparkling water. In-flight, I kept up the Ginger Ale, and she the sparkling water. No wines for us, especially as UAX has the Jean Balmont Sauvignon Blanc, which neither of us enjoys. There was one quickly passed snack basket, but having eaten at LAX, we both declined.

The EMB-175 had WiFi (for a fee), and then PDE (Personal Device Entertainment) delivering streaming video via the UA App. However, we did not use either. I do not believe that either of us used the PDE for any of the four legs of this trip, but each was a very short flight.

There was also a closet in FC for my jacket.

Though we left two hours late (after a six hour change in schedule), we landed about 9 minutes before the “rescheduled” arrival time. Our luggage came out at PHX on Carousel 4. However, one piece was about #3, while the other was the last to arrive – though both had Priority Luggage tags – “sometimes, the magic works, and sometimes it does not.” [Chief Dan George]

The flight was good, but the events leading up to it, could have been better – much better. I understand schedule changes, and we were notified many days out. We tried to work to a shorter layover at LAX, and nothing worked, though we looked at some “interesting” routing. That is flying. I understand not flying a “broken plane,” even if it had worked just fine (same plane) a few days before. Hard to fix mechanical issues at 38,000 feet!

Back to our previous flight that morning, the plane was overbooked, but the generous payment was for only one passenger (not good for us, as we were flying as a couple), and no way to get to PHX that evening. Wife later decided that we should have negotiated for the two of us, taken a credit for our tickets, and rented a car in Las Vegas, for the 5 hr drive home. In hindsight, I wish we had done that too. What would have been a 45 min flight, LAS to PHX, on a few other airlines, turned out to be a very, very long day with UA, but at least there was the newly redone UA Club at LAX.

Still, the only real complaint that I have is with the LAX Gate Agent, who was convinced that we, the passengers, had to be wrong, and that he knew better. That is not the attitude that I have come to expect flying UA about 130 flights per year. At least my wife was able to finally get him to listen, and to check. I was glad when our GA from Gate 87 showed up, to work UA5512. She was quite good.

The flight was good, but the total experience not quite so good – but we got home to PHX, so I should not complain.