“Mileage Plus customer”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed September 19, 2017

Recently flew a red eye from Maui to Chicago with a stop in LA. Although we booked Economy Plus seats and had an empty seat between, I could not get comfortable flying to LAX. There's something about United's seats that hits my legs uncomfortably.

We've been Mileage Plus customers for a long time. Even though they devalued their mileage program I still find that United's award program to be one of the friendliest as long as you book well in advance. I've also booked hotels and cars with miles (but it's not the best use of miles). Where the award program falls short is when you attempt to book business/first class seat upgrades using miles. Chances are slim to none.

Ever since I got the Chase Sapphire credit card (I'm now a Reserve cardholder) I book through the Chase Rewards travel portal and try to get the best deal possible using my credit card points and am no longer the loyal Mileage Plus customer I used to be. It also gives me a chance to try different airlines and evaluate them. We're beginning to like Alaska because of their seat comfort and their schedules to the West Coast.

• Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, movies)
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (32,091)

Reviewed September 19, 2017

Horrible flight. 12 people in Boarding Group 4 had their overhead bags gate-checked against their wishes because passengers in Boarding Groups 1-3 had filled up all the overheads. Lots of ranting and raving (I was in 5, not affected directly).Returned to gate (offload cargo making us overweight). Then had to do it again, a second time. Then told 3 volunteers needed to get off and get routed DEN-SFO-IAD (red-eye!) instead. Wow, wouldn't that be fun! Finally 3 actually took the bait, got $1,000 plus a free flight. Afterwards, pilot said they need 5 MORE volunteers to get off, only this time those 5 could go nonstop DEN-IAD and only TWO HOURS LATER (Why?!?!??). Same $1,000 offer + free flight. Pilot offered to open up entertainment system with free movies to all of us, which he did. Until it broke and shut off! Had to sit right next to a "Typhoid Mary" who was coughing and hacking up a lung next to me, and not covering herself. Blech! I asked to move to new seat (by that point, 8 of them had become available!): DENIED! Reason given: I was Basic Economy Fare and not allowed to change ANYTHING. Not even to avoid getting sick. Then they ran out of hot meals before they got to my seat in 36B. Great. Last but not least, a very rough first 20 minutes in the air (turbulence) followed by a crappy, hard, bouncey landing. Thanks for nothing, United.

Reviewed September 19, 2017

Consistent rates, ease of seat selection and varied options keep me coming back to United. The attendants are courteous and the flights are punctual. I can't ask for much more.

Reviewed September 19, 2017

I bought a round-trip ticket for my friend to come visit me, but because we planned so far in advance she didn't have her school schedule at the time. She learned she had a midterm and had to delay her departure date. Even though we were keeping her return trip, United showed no sympathy. They charged a $200 change fee. It would've been cheaper just to buy a whole new one-way ticket and keep the return trip as it was in the round-trip ticket, but they wouldn't allow her to get on her return flight of the round trip if she didn't get on the outbound flight, so that plan wouldn't work. But in addition to the $200 change fee, I had to pay $50 just to upgrade it to a changeable ticket. We were also changing it to a more expensive flight and the difference was $100, so I had to pay over $350 to change just one part of her flight, which is nearly as much as the round trip cost initially. This was all done far in advance so it wouldn't have been any significant trouble for United to cut me a break.

Reviewed September 19, 2017

We flew direct from SFO to Paris. I wasn't sure how much food would be served so I brought snacks. We boarded around 3 p.m. During our 7+ hour flight we received 2 snacks, 1 dinner and 1 breakfast; plus complimentary drinks. I was pleasantly surprised and would have been satisfied without my own snacks. The entertainment was awesome! I watched two movies I had been interested in and could've watched one more. There was a good selection of TV shows too. I also played some games they offered. Overall it was an above average flight experience.

• Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, movies)