“delayed flight and incompetent staff”
Review of Thai Airways

Reviewed January 20, 2020

We had booked a ticket with Thai, connecting in Auckland to Air New Zealand domestic.
The staff at Thai airways wasn't able to give us any information on the connecting flight. We had to call Air NZ ourselves.
After boarding we were told the flight would be delayed because of a group of 20 Indians being late from a connecting flight in BKK.
As we only had close to 2 hours in AKL, we got worried.
On board there was a Thai flight attendant who was not able to smile - until then I had thought of Thailand as the land of smiles.
In AKL we only caught our connecting flight to CHC because we ran and jumped lots of queues which we normally don't do.
Let's hope for a better return flight.

Date of travel: December 2019
    • Check-in and boarding
Write a reviewReviews (15,266)

Reviewed January 20, 2020

this is the first time i flew thai airways and to be honest its superb came on a A 380 AIRBUS which was impressive...service excellent,meal very good,all round service 100% entertainment package very good
i came british airways last time which was dire to say the least..

Reviewed January 20, 2020

It was a long time ago in 2019 when I went to Manila by Thai and I still remember the incredibly uncomfortable change over in Bangkok. There is very poor service and they just want to make you buy things. Quite honestly it is better to go with PAL direct.

Date of travel: February 2019
Reviewed January 19, 2020 via mobile

Used Thai to travel with my wife to NRT for a holiday.

Brisbane checkin and the NZ lounge were great and I was already to impressed with Thai after hearing some negative reviews

On board the staff are very attentive and the food and drinks choices and quality are of a good business class standard. The onboard service is excellent and the crew do a great job.

The cabin of the 787 to BKK was a little dated and plastic and the sleeper seat is not fully flat which means you end up sliding down the seat. Supposed to be a A380 from BKK to NRT but sub with a 787 and had the same issue with seats. On the return we had the A380 from NRT with the new config in business. Fully flat bed and loads of storage space on the upper deck. Loved it.

My issue with Thai is that they do not seem to realise that business class travel is not just about the onboard experience but also about saving time and ease of passage through the terminal to the plane. The ground experience is equally important.

Short version, if you have to transit through BKK do not book THAI. I would also recommend not using BKK as a transit airport.

We had to transit both to NRT and on the way back and this had to be one of the worst experiences I have had in 45 years of flying. Everyone regardless of flight etc had to queue for over 45mins (no joke) for security screening. No fast track or business facilities. Hot, uncomfortable, noisy and not how I want to spend my time.

Check in at Narita we had to queue with economy as Royal Silk (business) were all serving economy passengers. When they called the flight there was such a scrum at the boarding lounge door, by all the passengers, that my wife was jostled and knocked over. No effective management of the process or robust systems.

On both occasions we found the Lounge reception staff in the Royal Silk lounge were completely disinterested and dismissive when I raised the long queues and wait. They basically did not want to know.

Not a difficult fix for THAI airways given BKK is their home base. Royal Silk transit area or something!

My advice: if you can avoid it do not transit through BKK.

Reviewed January 19, 2020

My latest flight was on Xmas day returning 14th January.
On A380 on way out.

I paid the 100$ extra for the better seat which on way out was upstairs on the row just before business class, lots of leg room whichwas more than in most premium economy.

On way back standard plane but a bulk head seat with the other 2 seats free, so sat by window and looked down upon Burma coast, Afgan mountains and the old middle eastern Russian Empire. A wonderful viewing event.

I sometimes find the staff not as friendly as other lines and the entertainment offering not of other lines standards, but this time both the staff, the food and the entertainment was better than usual.
We arrived 30 mins early and both flights were smooth and of good order