“Unprepared to service Local / Non-English speaking passengers”
Review of Thai Airways

Reviewed December 17, 2017

I remember I used to be impressed with the level of customer service of Thai Airways when I used to take this airline about 10 years ago. The service I encountered this time is disappointing. For this trip, there were many Iranians on board who could not speak / understand English. The airline could have better prepared itself with a printed menu that features Persian / English texts. There were a few times when I heard the crew especially the ladies, not speaking politely to the passengers. The only patient crew was an air steward on the flight. Since this flight is from Iran, I would expect the crew to be prepared to serve the locals who are not be able to converse in English. If flights out of Korea, China, Japan, Indonesia and Malaysia, could have a local language during announcements and on the menu card, why then is Thai Airways not doing the same? The passengers are the reason for your business and the crew should know that without these paying passengers, they will be out of job. I can't even imagine - during emergencies, how then can the crew be useful to these passengers?

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (10,409)

Reviewed December 17, 2017

I had reserved my seats since May 2017 to that of the front row seats as according to the layout shown on their website. About one month before departure, I noticed that the seating configuration was different on the web browser as compared to the mobile app. Mobile app shows the seats I have selected is not on the front row while on the web browser, it shows the seats are in the front row. I had written to the airline who assured me twice that the seats I have reserved are in the front row. When we took the flight on 1 Dec, the seats were not in the front row. When I asked the cabin crew if we could change our seats, an air steward gave us the permission considering the email exchanges I had with their customer service staff. However, this was not communicated properly. Two stewardess confronted us while we were changing our seats. The tone of voice they used were not acceptable. They sounded like scolding us and uttered unpleasant and rude statements to us - refusing to listen. I had to tell the air stewardess we should not cause a commotion which disturb other passengers and to go to a corner to settle this issue. No doubt that in the end, we are were allowed to sit at the emergency exit, miscommunication by the staff and crew of this airline had caused embarrassment to us. I had written to the airline about this issue on 8 Dec 2017 but no apology has been offered to date.

Reviewed December 17, 2017 via mobile

What an awful way to finish a holiday.

Flying from Koh Samui to Tokyo Narita.

Flight TG640 from Bangkok to Narita was over an hour late, inflight service was terrible, and the icing on the awful cake, my bag was lost!! Terrible

What a disaster, I travel to Thailand at least once a year, thank goodness I have the choice to fly Japan Airlines in the future.

Reviewed December 16, 2017

One of the worst experiences ever!
I can understand the insipid food and the mechanical greetings of the staff... but my seat was lumpy and extremely uncomfortable. It was actually hurting my back and I asked the staff for a seat change... but the flight was full and I was told to just put a pillow... that didn't help at all :(
It was a 5 hour flight and I came back with a terrible back pain... NOT DONE!

Basic comfort is a hygiene factor on a flight ... its not a luxury and no airline can shake this responsibility... an appalled at the attitude

Reviewed December 16, 2017

16/12/17, flights TG304 from Yangon to Bangkok, 09:50 h to 11:45 h local time, plus TG922 from Bangkok to Frankfurt, 12:50 h to 19:05 h local time:

Thai Airways booked this connection for us although transit time in Suvarnabhumi Airport was very short. The first flight arrived 15 minutes late, boarding time for TG922 was 12:10 h, so the time available for the transit in the airport reduced to 10 minutes. Disembarkation gate at Bangkok was D1, boarding gate for TG922 was E1. This is a distance of about 500 meters, hardly to be made on foot in 10 minutes. Add to this that the transit includes additional security controls, which one wonders why they are necessary in the case of transit passengers. At any rate, it was all but impossible to arrive in time at the departure gate.

Well-organized air carriers, including ones of Star Alliance, which Thai Airways is a member of, provide information on connecting flights when the first flight is about to land, either on the on-board displays or by loudspeaker announcement. In their booking files, they check which passengers of an outgoing flight are arriving by connecting flights and whether these will arrive on a tight schedule. They then place a local attendant at the gate of disembarkation of the arriving flights to assist passengers in transit and, if necessary, to lead them to their departure gate. Thai Airways did nothing of the sort. There was, at the arrival gate of TG304, not even information on the departure gates of connecting flights. We had to find out ourselves, and as there was no assistance whatsoever, we ran to gate E1 to the best of our capacities. At that gate, there were several ground staff turning their thumbs, who might well have been sent to the arrival gates of connecting flights to provide the assistance needed.

As it turned out, departure of TG922 was delayed. Thus, our running would have been unnecessary. Again, the obvious thing to be done was to inform disembarking passengers of this so they would know that they could take their time.

Thai Airways has yet much to learn about efficient and passenger-friendly ground service.

On board, there was no light and no entertainment in several of the rows, including the one we were sitting. Meals were above average.