“Anti-American Airline”
Review of TAP Portugal

Reviewed October 21, 2017

On Sunday, September 10th, my wife and her sister were denied boarding on TAP Flight 1011 from Madrid Spain to Lisbon Portugal. Since I was traveling with them I was obliged to relinquish my seat as well or travel on without them. I chose to remain with them.

Apparently this flight was overbooked and this was the reason we were denied the seats we’d reserved months before. However, no announcement was made to that effect, no one was asked to take a later flight, and no inducement was offered to do so. Instead, we three – along with two other Americans – were arbitrarily chosen and denied boarding.

Further, we were given no assistance or advice whatsoever, simply handed our luggage and told to leave the boarding area. We received no remuneration for meals, lodging or time lost in transit at the time. We were able, on our own, to find a multi-airline office which re-booked us on an Iberia flight later in the afternoon. Instead of arriving in Lisbon at 10:00 we arrived instead at 18:00.

On September 25th I filed a report with TAP pursuant to this incident.I complained that protocol for overbooked flights was clearly not followed. I’ve yet to receive a reply.

I am frustrated that we have not been compensated for the day we lost from our vacation, even though their "Passenger Bill of Rights" says we're entitled to compensation. Further, I'm upset that protocols outlined in this document were not followed, either with regards to overbooked flights or stranded passengers. Finally, as an American, I’m offended that these gate agents denied boarding only to U.S. citizens and this anti-American bias has yet to be acknowledged and apologized for.

I understand that TAP is a member of the Star Alliance, a consortium of airlines committed to a higher level of service. You should know that their service is sub-par and, in my opinion, bigoted.

11  Thank gillett115
Write a ReviewReviews (12,356)

Reviewed October 21, 2017

We flew with TAP on Tuesday (17 Oct) and returned today (21 Oct). We hadn't flown with the airline before and during the two weeks before departure I kept an eye on the schedules, which showed the Manchester to Lisbon flight law as running upto 2 hours late. Happily both our flights were on time.

Reviewed October 21, 2017 via mobile

Used TAP to fly from Toronto to Lisbon in September and returned with them in mid October 5 weeks later.. flight services were excellent... both ground and on flight staff were friendly and helpful.. spoke many languages... food on flight to Lisbon was a good quality airline type fare... however on the return by the time they reached us they only had pasta left for dinner... definitely the worst airline food that I had ever encountered.. could not eat it despite being very hungry... problem may be in the Lisbon based food catering as on the flight from TO food was good.. other than great service

1  Thank Kawakwa
Reviewed October 21, 2017

The flight lasted 2 hours and 30 minutes with the ATR ! This is a joke !
Loud and slow. This type of aircraft should fly on short routes up to 1.5 h.
The landing was exactly 1.40 after the time.!
21.10.2016 ( TP1123 )

1  Thank grzhib
Reviewed October 21, 2017

Tap does not even have a phone number in Brazil. To get in touch, you have to call a number in Portugal. The line is always busy and I waited for more than 40 minutes. The alternative they offer is to call you in 48 hours! I applied for an upgrade with miles, two months prior to the flight. They told me I was on the waitlist and they only confirmed it at the gate, in Lisbon. There were more than 20 passengers in the same condition. The thing is that you check in your luggage without the privilege of business class and you don't get to use the lounge, as you do not have the proper boarding pass. The last touch was the food, quite bad. It is a pity to see one more good company going down the drain.

2  Thank MariseCaetano