“The worst”
Review of South African Airways

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

When I bought the ticket, the departure time was 9 am. Then I got an email which said that the new time was 9.55, and then another one which said 5.40 am. Finally, two days before my trip, I got the last email which said that the time was 9 am (and everything was "normal ").

I tried to contact Skytours, but no one answered the phone or my emails. So I decided to buy another ticket, which cost me twice the previous flight.

I know i should have done the check in before but I'd really appreciate to have a refund, at least 50% of it, especially because i came to Tanzania to volunteer for a primary school. At least I'd like them to take the money!

Date of travel: January 2020
Review collected in partnership with Sky-tours
1  Thank NadyaRutherford
Write a reviewReviews (4,766)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

With no computer to check in at the appointed hour, we tried to use the concierge's at our hotel but could not do it! It was very frustrating. I called the airline the next morning and was advised to try again using my smart phone and it worked! The problem with checking-in on line had been to do with the strike that SAA had staged the previous day. It caused a lot of disruption to services. I had never checked in by phone before and not being able to check in and get a seat assignment the previous evening caused a lot of stress. I then suffered a very bad migraine during the night which was not a conducive prelude to a long flight. However, we were lucky and got a spare seat between us and I was able to sleep! Having not had much the previous night, I was delighted to get some on this flight. The food was OK and the service was friendly and efficient. The in-flight entertainment was limited though.

Date of travel: November 2019
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The flight itself was OK, leaving and arriving on time but 1.40 hours of a caterwauling child in the row behind was not conducive to a good flight! Just bad luck I suppose. Cabin service was fine but all a bit strange - a beef roll with curried baked beans! This is a new one! No alcoholic drinks as these are only available after 11.00 am (this was about 14.45) but can only, according to the stewardess, be loaded after that tine in Johannesburg (but not in Cape Town?) as the aircraft left in the early morning! They had only cokes, water and boxed juices (+ tea or coffee)! The next strange thing was that one of the stewardesses in full uniform came back and sat in the row in front of us and promptly went to sleep - how does that happen? As such my experience on this flight was one of the strangest in some 50 years of flying. No wonder SAA have problems!

Date of travel: January 2020
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Whilst the ground crew and crew did their utmost to make the experience as best as possible, the food and service was good as well as the duty free and the in-flight entertainment, this airline is on the verge of liquidation. It hung as a dark cloud over everyone in the planes` heads. This was my last flight ever on SAA and Mango.

Date of travel: December 2019
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Even though there was a problem with the Plane, the SAA staff made sure everyone was informed and knew what was the ETA of the flight.
The service on board was very good and food delicious.

Things to look out for are the in the Nigerian airport. The "trolly" collectors will approach you in the airport and demand a payment for their assistance in helping your bag of the conveyor belt. They will use this opportunity also to try and get you to pay to skip the line.
Make sure you know who are officials and who not.

Date of travel: November 2019