“Only one of two direct flights to Hong Kong”
Review of South African Airways

Reviewed December 11, 2017

Not a bad flight but it felt as if you were asking them for a huge favour if requested anything from the female cabin staff!!

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (3,398)

Reviewed December 11, 2017

Flew with South African Airways on a 40-hour trip from Lagos to Brisbane with a 15-hour stopover at the OR International Airport in Johannesburg. I had been used to excellent and courteous service in the past as a Gold Card member of the frequent flyer program, Voyager. I was shocked and amazed at arrival at the transfer desk at OR Airport to be informed rather brusquely by the lady at the desk that South African Airways has no provision for travelers like me with long layover time. Other airlines that I now use more frequently make arrangements for the comfort of their travelers for trips that are unbroken and under the same airline. It is a pity and shame that South African Airways would treat its paying cipustomers in such an apauling manner. The only redeeming feature of the long trip was the agreeable comfort of the different sectors of the flight

1  Thank temituoyoo
Reviewed December 10, 2017

South African Airways has known for five years that Senegal was building a new airport. And that every ticket written by SAA would have to be updated to reflect this fact. Dec 7 the old airport closed and the new airport opened. It's been utter chaos as SAA had no system for automatically sending booked clients the new itinerary. I've spent 3 hours with Travelocity trying to change the airport -- making no other change in my ticket. No other change. 3 hours. SAA is utterly incompetent. Utterly. Hopelessly incompetent. It's had five years to plan for this.

1  Thank ChuckLud
Reviewed December 10, 2017

The flight is interminable but that aside I think the flight was about as good as it gets in the areas of food, service, and entertainment.

Reviewed December 10, 2017

I was on the SA 208 flight from Washington Dulles to Dakar's new airport (DSS) on December 8, 2017. The flight landed with more than hour delay due to problems at departure. Then, when we landed, we waited for more than 90 minutes for our baggage only to realize that they had not been unloaded from the plane. No announcement was made and nobody was able to tell us what was happening. Then, after a messy and long claim registration, we were told to call a number to get updates. Nobody ever responded to that message. I contacted the baggage claim number inSouth Africa where I was told by a very rude person that the luggage was in Johannesburg and would not be delivered before December 12. Worse, when I said that the company should at least arrange for a transportation of the baggage from the airport, located more than 60 km outside of Dakar (one hour without traffic and two hours one way during the week given Dakar's heavy traffic, i.e. one half day lost and most likely a $100 per passenger), I was told that there was no way this would be done. What kind of service is that? Shame on you South African Airways!

1  Thank Renaud B