“Non stop flight to Terceira, Azores Island”
Review of SATA - Azores Airlines

Reviewed December 16, 2017

Flew from Boston to Terceira and back as part of an Azores Getaways package. The flight left Terminal E in Boston and was an overnight flight. The SATA fleet on this flight consists of Airbus A310 airplanes which seat about 220 passengers. The planes were made between 1983 and 1998, with the bulk being made between '83 and '92, so the planes are not new. The inside of the planes were very clean and well staffed. The stewards/stewardesses were all very professional and helpful.

About 1 hour into the flight a meal service was provided, which was remarkably good for airline food. Also wine and beer were complimentary. The seats were fine, and even though the airplane was on the older side, it appeared to be very well maintained.

The crew passed on headphones on one of the legs (maybe both) for use on the system - some type of movie was also shown on the old CRT screens. I did not use the inflight entertainment, so I cannot give an accurate review - stuck with a paperback and some earbuds and my phone, but it was definitely outdated - occasionally the screen would show the location of the plane en route, along with altitude, time until arrival, and flight speed.

The plane unloads from the front and back on two wheel in ramps in Terceira, where you are shuttled to the terminal for processing through customs, which was uneventful. All in all, I would not hesitate to fly on SATA again.

2  Thank Scott A
Write a ReviewReviews (1,042)

Reviewed December 15, 2017

I took this flight because I needed to go to Barcelona and I waited too long to book the flight and the prices from Toronto to Barcelona one way ended up being very expensive. Hence I opted to fly from Toronto to Lisbon using SATA and used TAP to fly from Lisbon to Barcelona the next day. The flight from Toronto to Lisbon was broken into two parts Toronto to the Azores and the Azores to Lisbon. It was the same plane but we had to get out in the Azores and go to the terminal, and then get back on the plane about 1/2 hour later. The plane was almost empty on the Toronto to the Azores leg so we were able to stretch out on the middle 4 seats.

The food on the flight was free but not too great. The dinner was a hot meal with chicken, potatoes and vegetables but it was cold as it had not been heated enough. Breakfast was a roll with thinly sliced meat which didn't have any favour.

When we landed in the Azores the stairs on the plane where very steep and my friend had a hard time dealing with them. The check-in staff were friendly. There is no in-flight entertainment ie. movies.

3  Thank 2torontotraveller
Reviewed December 9, 2017 via mobile

I had never heard of Sata airlines until I had booked our flight. Still did. It pay much attention to it until a couple of days before we left on our trip. I started to read reviews....I was concerned that it was going to be held together with “bubblegum and duct tape”.

Yes we had entertainment - no we did not have 20 movies to pick from...we had 6.
Yes we were served dinner...standard airplane food.
The seats were not the most uncomfortable I have ever sat in. There was plenty of leg room (by airline standards).
The flight attendants were pleasant.
We left, basically on time.
And arrived on time.
Most importantly our luggage arrived with us.

I’d fly with them again.

2  Thank Shelly C
Reviewed December 9, 2017

SATA - Azores Airlines were selected for our mid-holiday venue change from Ponta Delgado to Funchal, Madeira. A 2hr direct service between islands at very reasonable price. The 80 seat turbo-prop aircraft was comfortable and virtually full for the inter-island flight. Unfortunately the island of Sao Miguel experienced a whole night of torrential rain, violent thunderstorms and high winds that played havoc with the airline operators schedules. No fault of the operator but we were subject to a 90 minute delay to takeoff. The flight itself was subject to considerable turbulence which thankfully subsided by the time we arrived at Funchal.
The whole aircrew throughout were friendly, informative and re-assuring.
We will be using SATA - Azores Airline again in the future.

Reviewed December 8, 2017

Worst business class ever. Okay seat out to Boston. Leather seats were comfortable but not long haul, Bad service staff stayed behind curtain but were pleasant when they had to serve meal. Food dreadful. Very limited selection of drinks. Offered once. ABSOLUTELY NO ENTERTAINMENT!!! NO HOOKUPS FOR IPAD OR COMPUTER. The plane was more a short haul plane. juice and cheap cookies. Adequate baggage allowance. Transit was hard! small cafe, for up to 5 hours on return flight. Return was only poor business to Azores then just front of the plane 3 seater economy Azores to Lisbon. No special boarding for business. NEVER AGAIN!!!

2  Thank kate e